Author Topic: 998 Automatic #2 Rebuild  (Read 1153 times)

Offline MiniDave

Re: 998 Automatic #2 Rebuild
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2021, 02:13:32 PM »
OK, so I'm back on my feet - somewhat - and have started going down to the shop now that it's 40* outside and not -10!

I am walking without assistance and although not smooth I'm getting there and I decided it was time to get up and get moving again. Today I'm just cleaning and putting away tools, then organizing parts and getting set up to do some work.

We're supposed to have 60* on Tues, then fall back into the mid-40's for the rest of the month and early March, but I can deal with those temps!

I have the 998 head soaking in Evaporust (well halfway - that's all that would fit in the bucket) and in a few days I'll pull it out turn it over and drop it in for another few days. Judging by the color of the liquid, it seems to be doing it's job!

I have most of the parts I need, tho I haven't heard from the machine shop about the crank so I can order bearings. I'll call them Monday, but chances are good they haven't gotten to it yet - it's only been 2 weeks!

I have a bunch of parts at the powdercoaters ready and waiting to be picked up too.

The owner isn't in a huge hurry to get this 998 and since I sent the trans off to California I haven't heard whether he got all the parts he needed yet either. I'll call him on Monday too

Lastly, the car that this motor is going into is still being painted, so I have a little breathing room. But, I can see a lot of jobs that are going to become time sensitive in a hurry now that the weather has changed.

I have two Sprite race gearboxes to build ( all the parts are here for those) two Mini gearboxes to build and three Mini engines to build. A LOT of work to keep me, the machine shop and DHL busy delivering parts!

Once the car is done, it will be brought up to me to drop this motor in, but that's as far as I'm going with it - the rest is up to the owner as it's a bare shell - no wiring, instruments or anything.

Of course, I want to get going on my electronic fuel injection project too! As my wife says, I'm a complete failure at retirement!
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline cstudep

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2021, 08:05:43 PM »
Retirement is for doing what you enjoy, so I'd say if you enjoy it, you are doing pretty good. No way I could just sit around doing nothing, I'd have to have some sort of "job" to do or I'd go crazy.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2021, 05:32:17 PM »
Machine shop called me back Tuesday and said the crank checks out really well, so std bearings it is.....I had a little trouble finding some - the MiniSpares online site said they were out but I sent an email off to my buddy at the north MiniSpares depot and he said they had them, so he'll send them south and they'll add them to my order. I got the last few bits coming that I think I'll need - of course there's always something else but I'm hopeful that I have it in stock, whatever it is.

This morning I drove the 30 miles up to the powdercoaters and picked up a bunch of parts.

The head is ready to come out of the Evaporust bath, we'll see how it looks, I had already scraped most of the rust out so it shouldn't have taken much to get the last bits out. When the block comes back I'm going to make a block off plate for the water pump, put in the freeze plugs and fill the block with Evaporust and let it soak for a week or so, that's the best I can do. The machine shop will have already washed it out twice, but I don't think the jet washer will do much about the rust, hence my final bath.

Turns out Nick did get the rest of the parts for the auto trans and he though he might get started on it this week.

Walked the boys all the way to the end of the block and back last night - it's not that far - only 4 houses - but it's the most I've done up till now. I'm going to start trying to do that every day, each day going a little further.

Second pic is John Styer's new 1800 sq ft 2 level shop!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 05:35:57 PM by MiniDave »
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline BruceK

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2021, 07:05:25 PM »
Glad to hear your leg is bending in the middle as designed!   ;D   Hope the pain is going down as quickly as possible.

Johnís shop looks incredible. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
2007 Triumph Bonneville
1992 Toyota LiteAce

Offline Willie_B

• CREW
  • 1275cc
  • He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
    • Lilburn, GA,
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2021, 08:23:08 PM »
I bet the boys are enjoying the extra walks. Dad time is always good. Sounds like you are feeling less worse every day. Well, except for PT days.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2021, 08:24:40 PM »
"Sounds like you are feeling less worse every day. Well, except for PT days."

Exactly.....
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2021, 03:02:29 PM »
Yesterday I drove out to the machine shop and had them load the block, crank and pistons into the blue Mini and brought them home.

Today I re-arranged the shop enough that I could roll my hydraulic table over to the door, lined it up with the load floor on the Mini and slid the block right out onto the table - easy peasy!

I decided that even tho the block was really clean (see pics) the water jacket was still fairly coated with rust, so I divined a way to put Evaporust into just the water jacket. I had all the freeze plugs in, and found the plug for the block drain, then I put an old water pump on and covered the hose end, then put a short piece of tubing on the bypass so I could use a funnel to pour the Evaporust into the block. It worked a treat.....I'll leave it for at least a few days while it's somewhat warmish and just let it work, then I can remove the block drain plug and let it out....flushing will be interesting, but If I can get some help to carry it out to the driveway I can just use the hose and rinse it out.

Crank and rods checked out perfectly, so I have std mains and rod bearings on the way, they micro polished the crank and it looks fantastic.

Then it should be ready to build.

First, a good coat of etch prime, then paint. He wants this one the same color as the last one - Resida green..... and he wants me to paint everything, transmission, torque converter housing, drop gear housing etc. so I'll run out to the paint store and see if I can score another batch.

In the meantime I'm going to do a little port work on the head.....
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 03:08:42 PM by MiniDave »
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad