Fluid Capacities and Recommended Lubricants?

Started by Lone Star Mini, December 27, 2020, 03:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Star Mini

All, my apologies if this has been covered, but when I search under "capacity", nothing comes up for me.  I'm in the process of creating my laminated cheat sheet for the garage and would like to include all fluids and recommended lubricants.  Since I don't have a history of running minis in hot weather, I'm hoping for some guidance here.  What are you all using for (and am I missing anything)?
- Engine Oil: 5.4 US qts of Valvoline VR1 20W-50
- Coolant: 3.8 US qts and I haven't decided what I need to use.  I may try Evans
- Recommended lubricant for the Water pump?
- Recommended lubricant for the Carburetor?
- Recommended wheel bearing grease?
- Recommended grease for typical grease nipples around the mini?

Thanks for any input...
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

5.4 quarts of oil? Even with filter I think that's too much.

3.8 quarts of coolant seems right - I just use any old coolant. Any good coolant with have the water pump lube and anti rust additives already in it.

Lube for the carb? Motor oil.....light oil for the piston but you can use the 20W50 you use for the engine.

Wheel bearing grease, I use the red grease from Autozone, same for general grease gun grease. It's important to grease them on a regular basis, but don't get carried away....overgreasing is almost as bad as not greasing them.

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Randy, I concur with the use of Valvoline VR1 20w-50, that's what I use because of the relatively high zinc content.  Of course you can a different brand oil and pour in an aftermarket zinc additive if you were to go that route.

You didn't ask about oil filters, but I'll give you my two cents anyway.  I use this big 1342 filter built for NAPA by Wix on my car.  It's a taller filter providing additional filter media area compared to the typical short filter used on many Minis, and there is plenty of room to fit it on Mini.  Since the oil has to do triple duty on a Mini (engine, gearbox, and differential) gaining better filtration is well, just better.  Obviously use of this filter will also marginally increase the oil capacity of the car too. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

Oh, last time I installed wheel bearings I opted for Timkin brand wheel bearing grease, but I'm sure any good quality wheel bearing grease will work.  For ball joints and other suspension points I use Royal Purple grease in my grease gun.  I bought a tube six years ago and haven't run out of it yet.

Like Dave I just use a good quality regular antifreeze. In my case I use Prestone.  It's good for all metals and has rust inhibitors. 

There are lots of opinions on what weight or kind of oil to use in the carburetor damper: everything from heavy weight gear oil to ATF fluid.  Lots of opinions.  I just use engine oil.  But in the past I have used lighter oils like 3 in 1 machine oil too.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: BruceK on December 27, 2020, 05:02:20 PM
I use this big 1342 filter built for NAPA by Wix on my car.  It's a taller filter providing additional filter media area

Thanks ever so much Bruce.. this is brilliant.  i was hoping to find a filter I could purchase here in the States at a local store.. I will definitely go this route...
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: MiniDave on December 27, 2020, 04:10:30 PM
5.4 quarts of oil? Even with filter I think that's too much.

3.8 quarts of coolant seems right - I just use any old coolant. Any good coolant with have the water pump lube and anti rust additives already in it.

Lube for the carb? Motor oil.....light oil for the piston but you can use the 20W50 you use for the engine.

Wheel bearing grease, I use the red grease from Autozone, same for general grease gun grease. It's important to grease them on a regular basis, but don't get carried away....overgreasing is almost as bad as not greasing them.

Thanks Dave.. Yes, I thought the 5.4 qts sounded like a lot, but that is what one of my books states and I found the same capacity online..  Thanks for all the input.. 
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

94touring

The dashpot oil will vary engine to engine and with carb springs. Thicker oil holds the piston down longer between shifts which in turns gives extra fuel for a moment.  If your car hesitates between shifts then try a thicker oil.

bikewiz

I use the K&N HP-1002 filter for the oil as it has a "nut" on the bottom that makes it easier to get off.

I believe the oil capacity is listed as 4.8L/5 qts. I've used VR-1 20w50 in the past but last year switched to  Maxima 20w50 high zinc because I was able to score a discount on it, the motor hasn't blown up so I think it's OK,because really how do you know if the oil you're using is working well or wrecking the engine.....you won't until it's too late.

I use the 20w SU oil in the damper it's cheap and the bottle is very convenient to use.

Like most others I use the red grease in the gun I think it's Mobil that I have but that stuff lasts for years. The last time I did the wheel bearings I used Timkin grease because another British car guy gave me a tub.

I used Peak antifreeze with Redline water wetter the last couple times I did the cooling system. A gallon is more than enough.

When I do the brakes I use ATE Type 200 DOT4

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: bikewiz on December 27, 2020, 08:45:22 PM
I use the K&N HP-1002 filter for the oil as it has a "nut" on the bottom that makes it easier to get off.

I believe the oil capacity is listed as 4.8L/5 qts. I've used VR-1 20w50 in the past but last year switched to  Maxima 20w50 high zinc because I was able to score a discount on it, the motor hasn't blown up so I think it's OK,because really how do you know if the oil you're using is working well or wrecking the engine.....you won't until it's too late.

I use the 20w SU oil in the damper it's cheap and the bottle is very convenient to use.

Like most others I use the red grease in the gun I think it's Mobil that I have but that stuff lasts for years. The last time I did the wheel bearings I used Timkin grease because another British car guy gave me a tub.

I used Peak antifreeze with Redline water wetter the last couple times I did the cooling system. A gallon is more than enough.

When I do the brakes I use ATE Type 200 DOT4

Good info.. thanks.. 
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)