Just joined..looking for some help.......

Started by Lumbago, December 25, 2020, 09:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

If you go that route chances are good that you'll get a good car - doesn't mean it won't need some work and some money spent on it, but it won't be a rusty hulk like so many are from ol Blighty!

Here's a list of things you'll probably wind up doing at some point....

New suspension cones - they tend to flatten out over time and miles and make the car ride and drive like crap.

Brakes all around, shoes, pads, hoses wheel cylinders in the rear and so on, flush brake fluid

Suspension bushings and bearings, alignment

Tune up - valve adjustment, distributor, carb overhaul etc Replace the distributor with a new all electronic unit. Of course, if you get a fuel injected car you won't need to do anything but the valve adjustment, plugs and air filter.

Radiator replacement - only if it runs hot in summer weather, otherwise you're good. Drain and flush cooling system.

Oil and filter change....if you get an automatic be sure to get the right filter - it's different. Use high zinc oil, automatics use motorcycle oil, Jaso 10W40 MA2, regular stick shifts use 20W50 or 10W40 high zinc, not synthetic like Mobil 1

Exhaust system. An RC 40 gives a nice mellow sound if you want to do something other than stock. A good time to add a header too, and maybe get it ceramic coated.

Seats - front seat foams get old and collapse. New foams are available and any auto upholstery shop can change them

Tons of little projects you can do over time, none are real expensive and they all add to the driving experience. Do look for a local Mini club and join up - they are a ton of help and offer lots of fun things to do with your Mini. Once the pandemic is over there will be driving trips and meet ups you can go to that are fun.

Welcome to the Mini world, things will never be the same!   77.gif

Edit: One other thing to know - Japanese cars were unique in many ways - most of them had a/c and were automatics, the engine came in two sizes - 998 and 1275 - I think you'll want the 1275. Most of them are fuel injected, and the dash is unique to the model because of the A/C. Some parts are being made now for these cars in Japan, and they are good, high quality parts - but  a little spendy compared to the Brit stuff.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

All good points.
Over the years i have imported several Jap spec Minis and the biggest issues I have found is the rubber parts are always deteriorated and needing replacing but it is minor compared to the rust and other issues of UK Minis.
One other thing I have come across is 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear synchro's go bad or are weak especially on the downshift.
From my observation it seems that the 1275's suffer this problem more than the 998's but either way it is a major job requiring engine removal and splitting the gear box from the engine.
A lot of Minis are sold or have been bought from an auction, if you buy one from an auction site buy a grade 4 if you can or at least a 3.5 or better.
Good luck with your search.

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on December 25, 2020, 05:18:13 PM
Patiently waiting for the "Bruce list" of currently available minis from other sources  4.gif

I did one of those lists yesterday.  Over here:  http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?topic=1434.375
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Lumbago

I never imagined that this would be a major issue for me but I have to say, I have been reading about cars coming over from Japan regarding the Fukushima/radiation issue. This really concerns me. I do understand that they are supposed to be 'radiation tested" before leaving Japan....but then I have read where some unscrupulous dealers or shippers or officials have looked the other way and let some of these cars go through that should have not have been allowed to. I understand life is full of risks, but radiation is something I really do not want to deal with.

I have bid on a Japanese Mini on BaT, and now am having second thoughts...........I do not know what to do.

MiniDave

I would not worry about that car on Bat, it's been here in the states for a while now, had the body completely blasted and repainted. I suppose you could make any purchase you were considering based on a good Geiger counter test?

I'd be surprised if there were any Minis around Fukashima that survived the flood......If I had to make a guess, that black Mini will go for more than $15K.....I'm sure the reserve is around there.....that red Movie producer Mini brought $14,300 and it's not nearly as nice as this one.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Unless it was within 30 miles of the meltdown zone it wouldn't be something on my mind.  I thought anything within a certain range has been effectively quarantined and abandoned since that disaster happened. 

MiniDave

I did too, but Lumbago has read differently I guess. But, was it Minis or some other vehicles? Fukashima is so remote I can't image there being any Minis up there. Most all of them were sold in the major cities

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

The immediate towns surrounding the radiation zone were abandoned is my understanding. Like chernoble was.  Cars still parked in the same spots 10 years later.

BruceK

I've looked at the Japanese export certificate which was recently uploaded to BaT and I noticed that the last recorded mileages were in 2006 in 2007.  Meaning that car has mostly sat around and has only had about 3,000 kilometers (under 2,000 miles) in the last 13 years or so.  And of course it has been stripped down and rebuilt here in the US. 

I would have zero concerns about any radiation on that Mini or any other used car from Japan.  The country of Japan exports millions of used cars a year and strictly tests and regulates the process to ensure that radiation is never a factor.   Failing to do so would severely hurt their big export cash cow.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Lumbago, so you bailed on bidding?   Out of radiation concerns?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Lumbago

@brucek: Yes and yes......it still remains an issue for me. That being said, i will continue to look for a Mini. Hopefully, the right one will come up for me soon. i will keep looking at BaT and other places.

i think cars are like buses............. if you miss one, wait long enough, and another one will come along.... 

BruceK

Yes.  There will be plenty of other cars.  Good luck in your search.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Lumbago

Besides the Japanese car market and Bring a Trailer, what other places would someone suggest for finding a Mini? Anyone/anyplace you would highly recommend?.... any place I should definitely avoid? Thanks

MiniDave

https://www.minimania.com/Cars4Sale_List.cfm?adtype=Mini

I found my first Clubman Estate here, prices are generally high, but you can always offer what you think is fair.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad