Susp. cone conundrum

Started by Willie_B, December 23, 2020, 08:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

While the engine is out if my mini I thought it would be a good time to change the front cones. Simple enough. Except now there are more choices, not just street or race. Not interested in race cones as it is a street car. So first I got a pair of Smootha-a rides. Figured these would give a nice ride and combined with ho-lo's I can drop it down and still have good handling. Except (yep another one) being as they are taller if you want to lower the car the hi-lo can bottom on the inside of the cone so you either cannot drop it very far or you cut the hi-lo. Don't like either one of those. Ok regular cones then, hold on a minute, what's this now. Cones made for a street car but with updated rubber compound. http://minispares.com/product/Classic/Suspension/Rear/Dry/FAM3968EVO.aspx?190701&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/cone.aspx|Back%20to%20search
So I now also have a set of regular cones and a set of the new rubber ones. Now I gotta make a decision, the reason for this long winded question. Has anyone tried a set of the new rubber ones and can offer feedback? That is the way I leaning at the moment unless, well unless....

MiniDave

I would go for the new cones, then you can give US feedback!   ;D

Seriously, you know what regular cones are like, right?

The smooth a rides will start out high, but will settle down, and you'll wind up raising the car up again or leaving it in the down position it settles to.

Jeremy at Jet Motors says to take 2mm off the high low (close to the grease nipple) and an equal amount off the inside of the high low thread - what I did was chop off the part where the circlip fits, then grind the end smooth and at a 45* angle to re-establish the threads.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

The old hi-los would bottom out on smootharides, requiring some trimming of the hi-low.  If you want the softest ride I'd go with smootharides.  If you want a regular cone, I'd honestly go with red dots like I have on my blue mini.  They are performance cones yet don't sag like standard, and if pared with soft shocks ride just fine.  My teeth aren't rattling out anyways.  I just ordered smootharides for a customer and I'm not worried about ride height having ordered them before for another car.

KingpenM3

Did you go with the Evolutions? I'd like to hear what you think.

Willie_B

Quote from: KingpenM3 on January 24, 2021, 01:31:53 PM
Did you go with the Evolutions? I'd like to hear what you think.

I have them but not installed yet. Been focused on getting my moke finished first.

John Gervais

I like the way mine rides with up-rated road/rally C-STR687 cones in the front and genuine standard cones at the rear.
- Pave the Bay -

Willie_B

Report back on the Evolution cones. They are still settling in, hard to adjust the Ho-Lo's twice so far.  They seem a little firmer than the stock ones, but hard to be sure as the stock ones that came out were 10 years old.