Camshaft timing out

Started by Hercplt, December 14, 2020, 02:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hercplt

Way too much snow and salt up here for that... but I'll recheck the timing and start putting it all back together for sure..

Can't wait for Spring!

Thanks for all the help
1980 Mini 1000 (Canadian Spec).
998cc +60.  12G295 Head (ported, skimmed etc), VP7 Cam, Twin HS2.... sweet sweet 7.5" Cooper brakes!

Hercplt

Ok guys... I need a serious sanity check.  Now that I have everything locktabbed and torqued, timing cover on... etc...

I seems that when I timed the cam, the distributor was pointing 180 out, away from the #1 point... if that makes sense.  So, I rotate the engine and my timing marks line up right and now the dist is pointing in the right direction.

Question is;  If timed this thing at the wrong TDC using #1 inlet lobe... Do I still have it timed correctly?

9.gif
998cc +60.  12G295 Head (ported, skimmed etc), VP7 Cam, Twin HS2.... sweet sweet 7.5" Cooper brakes!

MiniDave

Take the valve cover off, rotate it to #1 TDC firing according to the valves, then see where the rotor is pointing. If it's pointing at #1 or #4?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Hercplt

I think I see what your getting at.  The head is off.  I'll use the pushrods in place and see.  I might just be overthinking this.

When I did the cam timing I clearly had #1 inlet open... and can that only happen on the intake stroke right?

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Hercplt

I wish I was coming to you all with great news... but I'm not.  50.gif

I have put everything back together and simply can't get the car to fire.  Not one pop or fart.  Allow me to recap a few things.

1.  I re-timed the cam to the crank at 106.  In doing so naturally I was using the TDC that starts the intake stroke (with #1 inlet opening yadda yadda....)
2.  Head back on, valve clearances checked and rechecked, carbs reset and back on.
2a.  Cold compression check has 1-4; 130, 135, 135, 130  (big improvement from the 99 psi with the cam way off)
3.  I moved the engine to TDC on compression (power stroke).  I have confirmed that I am on compression on #1, both intake and exhaust closed, #4 just rocking.
4.  At this point I have the Dist rotor aiming directly at #1 lead on the cap, and the dist cam lobe (under the magnetic pick up) is pointing at the module.  (BTW its a Accuspark 45D4 type).  Further, the dist drive gear (after removing the dist to look) is in the correct alignment per the haynes manual and google etc.  (vacuum advance removed and capped at the carb).
5.  The coil tests well on a multimeter, the various wires and leads are getting 12V where they should with the ignition on... and I am getting sparks at the main HT lead, and each lead for each cylinder.  So I can only assume that when the dist is in the right position for each lead it is doing what it should.

This is where it gets odd.  I hooked up a strobe light to #1 to see where it is firing as the engine is cranked over and over.  I was expecting to see a flash at TDC markings on the pully wheel... but it doesn't seem to me that this is happening.  I get spark, but not at the TDC (or slightly before) like the engine is set up??

If the crank, camshaft, and dist are all showing me a correct installation what the hell have I missed?  Obviously fuel is the only other part to this equation, but as far as I can tell its getting gas (inside of the carb jet is wet) and I confirmed that the pump works...

Is there a chance that the dist is going full advance on cranking? and so missing all the leads?

Everything that I have read so far (and all your amazing advice) says that this should run first crank.... but alas... I am stumped again, and the weather up here is finally nice.

9.gif

tsumini

For reference mark location of distributor and then loosen the distributor hold down and advance and/or retard timing until it fires? Dump a shot of fuel into the carb throat in case carb is not delivering fuel.
Also may try timing light lead on the other three spark plug leads in turn to see if spark is on the wrong cylinder.

Hercplt

Update;

It runs... pulls like a freight train!

I finally got the distributor in the ball park and after much cranking, it finally fired and over some time it began to run better and better (lots of unburned fuel I guess).  It seems I was simply overthinking it...

Used the strobe to bring the ignition timing back to  about 10 BTDC (it was about 5ATDC initially) and she ran around the block like a maniac!!

Apparently the rotor arm was incorrect, it was a 25D instead of 45D... swapped that, and seems to have been a major issue of mine all along!!

Now to get the twins tuned properly... and on we go...

Happy Easter!!   4.gif  77.gif  62.gif

MiniDave

Excellent news! Glad you got it all sorted - you're now an expert on cam timing!  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Happy to hear it worked out so well!