Started by 94touring, December 13, 2020, 06:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

I will have yet another engine for sale.  This time a 1098 rod change with questionable prior build history, but for sure has a new clutch that Dave put in and did run prior to being shut down.  Gearbox as I recall had no issues.  $500 and local pickup preferred.

94touring

Little update, it will come with the subframe and all associated parts. Come get this thing out of my shop!

MiniDave

What I remember about the build is that it had one bad piston replaced, but like Dan says it ran and he drove it around the shop yard a bit. Clutch effort is very light and shifts easily. So, runnable, drivable engine/trans someone could use while rebuilding theirs, or simply build for their own car. Or just clean up and use as is....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

So many dreams and nowhere to put them to work on anything.   :(

MiniDave

I hear you Michael....I've got 4 engines in here to build and I am OUT of room!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: MPlayle on January 03, 2021, 02:45:11 PM

You just need a storage unit!

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on January 03, 2021, 03:13:27 PM
I hear you Michael....I've got 4 engines in here to build and I am OUT of room!

I have 6 cars inside and out of room! 

MiniDave

Yes, but I just have a 2 car garage and there are 2 cars in it!  ::)

My son went an rented a unit in a building and moved his shop there.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I have room for 1 more vehicle.  The only problem is with 6 cars it's almost too tight to work.  Definitely can't paint with that many in there.

MPlayle

Quote from: 94touring on January 03, 2021, 03:13:44 PM
Quote from: MPlayle on January 03, 2021, 02:45:11 PM

You just need a storage unit!

Storage units around here don't have power outlets and don't want you working out of them.

I keep searching the housing market around here for something that will work for me, but nothing seems to turn up that I stand a chance of affording.  If something does pop up, it is often gone in a matter of hours.

BruceK

Michael, if you look a bit outside of San Antonio, (or Bexar County), you might find more of an affordable place you like where you can easily add a shop/garage for not much money and not much hassle.

Dave, that's a nice shop!  I notice a Fiat theme going on! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Yes, they cater to British and Italian cars.....so far just Fiats. One of the X1/9's is getting a Honda K24 installed.

They've done a really good job with the shop, it looks a proper place to work now, tho I don't know when he has time to go there and work - since his business has picked up so much in the last 5 years.....finally. It was tough for a while after the shit hit the fan in '08.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Quote from: BruceK on January 03, 2021, 06:10:33 PM
Michael, if you look a bit outside of San Antonio, (or Bexar County), you might find more of an affordable place you like where you can easily add a shop/garage for not much money and not much hassle.

Bruce, I've been looking "far & wide" around San Antonio: Bexar county, Comal county, Guadalupe county, Kendall county, and Kerr county.  No luck yet.

MiniDave

I have no idea how much Jeff is paying for his lease but I have a hard time justifying $1000-1500/mo rent just so I can have a better place to work on my hobby cars - and it would probably be a good 1/2 hour drive to get there.

A local friend has a shop in one of those car condo places and I've seen places for sale there for about $35K, plus utilities, taxes and a yearly condo fee, the upside to this place would be that it seems easy to sell once I'm done. The biggest downside other than monthly costs is the 1/2 hour drive each way. I'm afraid it would get to feel like a job again.

Oh, and no A/C or heat in them.....or computer access, and very little cell service.

we finally found a house with a shop building that looked like we could afford it. ...I really liked the location and neighborhood, the house needed some work but I was OK with it, till I found out the price listed was the starting price for an auction, and the auction included a 10% buyers premium! The house sold for just under $400K, which I think was a good deal even needing $100K in remodeling. But well out of our price range.....the $40K premium was tough to swallow tho.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Everything in town when I was looking was $1000+ and you needed special insurance and weren't allowed to paint.  The 30 minute drive is nice in that it gives me an opportunity to drive my cars.  Sometimes I take my truck if I need to haul something or bad weather but otherwise the other cars get a rotation.  The price tag was also very nice.

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on January 03, 2021, 08:22:25 PM
Quote from: BruceK on January 03, 2021, 06:10:33 PM

Bruce, I've been looking "far & wide" around San Antonio: Bexar county, Comal county, Guadalupe county, Kendall county, and Kerr county.  No luck yet.

I wish you good luck in your search.  My point was that if you find the right place but he doesn't have facilities, it's easy enough to build a garage or shop. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

G67mcs

Nice shop your son has there Dave!
1967 MK2 S
2003 Mini Cooper S
2016 4Runner

MiniDave

Yeah.....I'm totally jealous!  ::)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

nice shop and alot of cool cars in it

if the 1098 could be shipped to utah, i wouldnt mind taking it off your hands
D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

94touring

Just replied to your thread.  I can crate it up if you arrange a company to come get it.   

joakwin

Quote from: 94touring on April 22, 2021, 10:53:55 AM
Just replied to your thread.  I can crate it up if you arrange a company to come get it.   

i think uship can do it

but i would need length x width x height and weight of a pallet or crate
to be able to get a quote

Willie_B

The last engine that I know about out of Georgia found the best price on FedEx Freight.

94touring

I won't be able to get to it for a couple weeks.  I'm headed out of town for work tomorrow but will contact you once I'm back.  If you don't  need the subframe and suspension I can always remove the engine from it.

MiniDave

I use YRC, they took a transmission on a pallet to California for $278. Engine to the east coast was $350....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

shipping don't seem to bad then, im in northern salt lake city utah now, odgen utah area

took a job up here and sold my house in Tucson, AZ

been looking for another mini or thinking about geo metro swap

oh by the way, you got any pictures of this 1098 engine....thanks