Cylinder Head Stud Caps?

Started by Lone Star Mini, November 20, 2020, 07:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Star Mini

Looking for ways to clean up the engine and hoses.  I love all the braided lines and I recently saw these cylinder head stud "caps" although I don't know what they are called or where they can be purchased.  Do these or variants of them actually exist?   I found these in early Mini World magazines and perhaps they proved to be problematic and are not functionally sound.  Any knowledge out there on these?  Thanks for the help.. 
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

I've never seen those before. Closest I could come to those are the ones they put over wheel nuts, but those are hex shaped.

You might check with Smiffy's Bits, or RetroMini
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Hmmmm. Never seen those before.  I wouldn't think that are anything Mini-specific.  Perhaps they are some chrome dress-up customizing options that are available for lots of cars?   After all, those are just 9/16 nuts (if memory serves) that would also be found on lots of older American and British cars.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

Well at least I'm in good company.  going through old Mini World magazines from 1998 and '99, I found several minis with these on them.  I actually like them vs showing threaded rod and nuts.  I've tried searching, but come up empty.  Hmm..  thanks Dave..  I will check with Smiffy's and RetroMini.. heck, I'll ask a few mini friends in the UK if htey remember when...
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

bikewiz

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: bikewiz on November 21, 2020, 05:10:22 AM
As stated above Smiffy's Bits has a thread on cover. I have them, they're very nicely made and so far, 5+ years, haven't fallen off.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-ROVER-MINI-STAINLESS-HEAD-NUT-COVERS-COVERS-THE-HEAD-NUTS-SIMPLE/183765597144?hash=item2ac9487bd8:g:~8AAAOSw42dZC2ae

Awesome..  would love to see a picture of yours.   I will check out the link.. thanks
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

bikewiz

Older photo but you get the idea.

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: bikewiz on November 21, 2020, 07:20:28 AM

Very Nice!!  thanks for sharing.  I'm in touch with Smiffy Bits to see if they will actually ship to the USA.  There have been other items of theirs that I would like to get.
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Willie_B

Quote from: Lone Star Mini on November 21, 2020, 07:51:00 AM
Quote from: bikewiz on November 21, 2020, 07:20:28 AM

Very Nice!!  thanks for sharing.  I'm in touch with Smiffy Bits to see if they will actually ship to the USA.  There have been other items of theirs that I would like to get.

They do ship here as I have bought some items from them in the past. Not as fast as MiniSpares but it gets here.

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: Willie_B on November 21, 2020, 05:29:23 PM
They do ship here as I have bought some items from them in the past. Not as fast as MiniSpares but it gets here.

Good to know.. thanks Brad. 
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

jeff10049

Those stud caps look ok, But please don't use fake braided hose kits those are beyond cheesy and look terrible to most car guys it's boy racer high school honda stuff.
Now actual AN braided hose is badass it may be somewhat out of place on most streetcars but acceptable. 

The proper hose clamps on rubber hoses can go a long way to cleaning up the look. Tie then up nicely get the length just right and use nice clamps and it'll look really clean without being cheese ball.

Jimini II

Just thinking outside the box aren't Mini chrome wheel nuts the same size?
If so and you have access to a lathe could the chamfered/tapered part be cut off and then use the remainder as a regular nut, it would seem they would last longer than the plastic chrome ones with the heat etc.

MiniDave

You are correct, they are the same thread size.....although I haven't found the chrome to last very long on the ones I've bought from Spares. I was thinking about trying a set of stainless ones next

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

I found a set of stainless lug nuts I bought years ago for a project and never used them and they still looked brand new which is more than I can say for chrome ones left laying around here in humid Florida.