WillieB's 1275 Engine Rebuild

Started by MiniDave, October 30, 2020, 04:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cstudep

Odd about the silicone tappet cover gasket. I have had one on mine for a couple of years and it has never leaked. Had it off and on several times as well. I only tried it because I could never get the cork ones to seal worth a darn.

MiniDave

Yeah, I tightened it down twice and it still looked like it was weeping in several places. I replaced it with WillieB's aluminum cover with a cork gasket and ran it today - no leaks.

So, today was the break in run, Dan suggested I should use curve #7 on the CSI distributor, so I set it there - could not be easier - turn the key on and count the blinks. It was set at three....you need a tiny little screwdriver to change the setting, I turned it 4 clicks then checked it again - 7 is the lucky number!

It fired right up and after I adjusted the carb needle a bit it settled down nicely - it's not as smooth as I'd like free running like this, but then I have no idea what needle is in the carb right now - I should probably check that!  ::)
I use this same carb on all the engines I run in the stand, 998's to 1410's....so it won't be right for all of them, just something to let me run in the cam.

I let it run for 20 min at 2K RPM as that's what the cam maker recommends - the temp stayed right at 165-170. I'm running an old radiator off my '89 Racing Green in the test stand so sometimes it runs a little hotter than if it had an aluminum, so I have an extra electric fan outside the radiator if I need it - it's cold enough today that wasn't an issue.

Engine sounds sweet, although when you move the camera in close all these A series engines sound pretty thrashy...still it ran sweet. All that's left to do now is let it cool off then load it in the crate to go home on Monday.

Then it's up to WillieB, but I'll bet he'll take a little time off the Moke project to get it back in his car. I'm anxious to hear how it does once it's back in the car.

Film in a bit after it uploads to You Tube. It's pretty boring so I cut it short.....

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Sounds great, Brad must be excited.  And fyi to Brad curve 7 is similar to what you had which was curve 3. Both similar to the Aldon yellow, 3 being a little less advance than 7. Dave set 8 as base timing which would have made 3 on the retarded side at full in being 28 degrees.  Curve 7 with 8 degrees as base gives you all in of 30 degrees.  Safe and will come on quickly and still give you about all you're going to get power wise.

MiniDave

This afternoon I pulled the motor out of the stand and loaded it into the crate. Got it all buttoned up and ready to ship out on Monday. I'll have to get up early then, I not only need to move the green car but also my little trailer and the blue MINI so he can get it out of the shop.

I'll also need to write up as set of instructions, notes, specs and so on that I used - for WillieB's records. It took a little longer than I hoped, between getting the Inno up and running and all the other projects I'm finishing up but at least it will be home for Xmas!  77.gif

Now I'll get back on the white car.....but first I have to split this 998 transmission off the engine so I can crate it up and ship it off to be rebuilt.

Jan 5th is coming up fast....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

pbraun

Nice job!  And, nice shop set-up. I like the engine stand!
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

MiniDave

Thanks!

Yesterday afternoon the truck came and picked it up, so it's on its way home to WillieB.

I hope he gets a chance to video some of it driving so we can hear how it runs and such....

The YRC truck driver is the same one that's made 4 trips out here now - we're on a first name basis!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Sounds sweet.
Nice to work on a Mini engine with nothing in the way.

MiniDave

Definitely easier in some ways - but of course in hindsight I know I could have designed it better.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

G67mcs

Great job Dave! Know WillieB will be happy with the build.
1967 MK2 S
2003 Mini Cooper S
2016 4Runner

MiniDave

Thanks Garry, I'm eager to hear how it runs in the car too, but it may be a bit before he gets it up and going.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I picked it up from the trucking terminal today. I have some things to do the the mini before it goes back in. I was having a problem with the clutch not dis-engaging all the way before Dave got it. He found that the pivot shaft area on the clutch cover wok was very loose. So I will either replace the cover of turn down a bronze bushing to take out the slack.

BruceK

Good looking garage you got there! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Willie_B

Mini is going to have to wait a bit longer. I have been bouncing between the mini and the moke. Noticed yesterday when going thru paperwork on the moke that it's build date was Jan. 18 1966. So I am full time on the moke to try to have it running  by Jan 18. Seems like the right thing to do to have it going again by it's birthday.

Willie_B

Needed to re-grease the inner part of the pot joint that I split when pulling the engine. Decided to try a flavor injector, from Walmart. The end comes off so it's easy to fill straight from the tube. Holds about 4 ounces so just the right amount. It is little challenging as the needle has two opening opposite each other.

94touring

So that worked pretty well?  There's been a couple times I could have saved myself a lot of time and headaches by injecting grease rather than having to pull everything back apart.

Willie_B

Quote from: 94touring on March 05, 2021, 11:16:05 AM
So that worked pretty well?  There's been a couple times I could have saved myself a lot of time and headaches by injecting grease rather than having to pull everything back apart.
It worked good. I think for next time I am going to cut the end of the needle off so it just has the one hole on the end. Really don't need the pointed end and two holes on the sides.

Willie_B

You do what you have to when trying get the engine mount holes to line up.

94touring

Those things are a bugger.  I've had poor luck with the pre threaded engine mounts. 

MiniDave

I don't understand why people have so much trouble with those, I rock the motor around a bit till I can get a tapered drift in one hole, then put a bolt in the other. Then once that's in the other one screws right in easy peasy.....I like the ones with the threaded inserts for the radiator end, the other one isn't a problem either way.....however, I have had the threaded ones spin on me and had to use a longer bolt and a nut so now I just use the regular ones.

Exciting to see you have it in the car tho, can't wait for the video when you fire it up!

You need to get some miles on it before you start flogging it on those back roads in Texas.   77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I've had them strip, spin, and not be aligned by a lot.  I think we struggled bad on Mark's car too.  Maybe he can chime in.

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on March 06, 2021, 07:58:13 AM
I don't understand why people have so much trouble with those, I rock the motor around a bit till I can get a tapered drift in one hole, then put a bolt in the other.

I could rock it and get the holes lined up. But when I let go it moved. So the strap is just to hold while getting the bolt in.

gr8kornholio

Yep, had one pop off, which was a blessing cause then we just put a nut on it.  The other side one spun so we had to smack it around until it wedged itself and tightened up.  I'm with Dan, it's not that hard to get a nut on any of them, especially if you are putting in or pulling one out cause all the in the way stuff is out of the way.

It's way easier to shove a bolt through a whole then work a nut on as opposed to trying to get the threads aligned with a hole to get a bolt to thread. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Any day now we should hear a YeeHaw! from Liburn Ga!   71.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Got it started for a few seconds yesterday. Would not stay running any longer. Suspect the rebuilt carb I have is not setup right. Time to learn something new. Or just put the old carb back on.

MiniDave

Old carb worked, right? I would def use it till you got the new one sorted.

I've seen some HIF's sold that were half of an MGB set - they don't work on a Mini, they were made to couple together and there are some fittings, electric gubbins and what have you that are always missing. I have a box full of them if you need a part of some sort.....

The only reason not to use your old carb is if the throttle shaft bushes are worn....otherwise, a service kit and a new needle and they're like new again.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad