Black box completely calibrates fuel or temp gauge

Started by BruceK, October 03, 2020, 06:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

This looks like a really cool product.

The MeterMatch TM is for making analog gauges more accurate, or to allow you to mix and match different gauges and senders.  It can be used with many gauges that have resistive senders - such as common fuel, oil-pressure and temperature gauges.  It also allows you to have a low and/or high set points that can trigger a blinking LED indicator to alert if the gauge exceeds normal values.

Fuel level gauges are designed to work with a specific ohm range fuel sender.  Different automobile and gauge manufacturers use different ohm ranges to correctly operate their gauges.  This can cause problems for a person who is updating their vehicle with new gauges or a new gas tank and fuel sender.

This module will allow you to use your stock sender with virtually all common analog fuel gauges and vice versa.  No longer do you need to drop your tank to change or customize your sender or re-calibrate your fuel gauge.  With this simple device you can ensure your gauges are accurately reading your fuel sender and more!

The MeterMatch TM interface is the problem-solver between fuel senders and gauges to correct ohm mismatch and erratic movement due to fuel slosh.

Key Features

User can calibrate a custom ohm range (between 0-3,000 ohms)
The gauge can be calibrated at empty, full, and two other points ensuring accurate readings even with odd shaped gas tanks
The interface is compatible with nearly any short sweep fuel gauge and fuel sender combination
Easy screw terminal wire connections
Compact size, 2.4" x 1.85" x 0.93"
Simple rotary knob and push button calibration
Programmable voltage correction
Programmable low (or high) alarm (works with a LED indicator)
Programmable averaging can be turned on or off to help minimize needle bouncing
Can operate on 7 Volts DC through 24 Volts DC
Made in the USA

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=748/mode=prod/prd748.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9_2wyeCZ7AIVn4BQBh1FcwQ7EAQYASABEgIfcvD_BwE

Steve, on the "This Week With Cars" channel on YouTube gives a demo of setting up the unit.  (He has a great collection of cars and you may notice a Mini in the background).

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Rosebud

This does look cool. My fuel gauge has always read backwards; empty reads full, full reads empty. Sounds like this would put things right. Anyone bought one yet?
Rosebud
...the sled, not the flower
https://www.facebook.com/PoserMotorSports

94touring

Quote from: Rosebud on December 11, 2020, 09:42:45 PM
This does look cool. My fuel gauge has always read backwards; empty reads full, full reads empty. Sounds like this would put things right. Anyone bought one yet?

Sounds like a wiring issue or voltage stabilizer problem. 

tmsmini

This one get brought up on other Mini forums from time to time:
https://www.spiyda.com/fuel-gauge-wizard-mk3.html

looks like the same idea

bob01b

The Spiyda unit worked great for me.  Less expensive (including shipping) and great reviews on the English forums.  I have an original fuel sending unit for my 63 with 0 ohms empty, 80 ohms full, my replacement speedo which came with a bimetallic fuel gauge is calibrated for a 240 ohms empty, 20 ohms full.  The adapter programming was pretty easy and can be tweaked any time if needed.
Bob

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad