2021 Texas Hill Country Gathering (2020 rescheduled)

Started by MPlayle, September 25, 2020, 02:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Styers says he's coming.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

An update for folks.

I did some checking on hotels that have good potential trailer parking and the Best Western Sunday House Inn seems to fit that the best.  (It actually shares its "overflow/oversize" lot with the Holiday Inn Express basically next door.)

The best rates seem to be by booking online rather than directly with the hotel.  Here is a Google Maps link for the hotel: Best Western link

Dates will be April 26 through April 30.

94touring

Unless I get sent home early I'm working those days unfortunately.  I got a 2 month schedule this last bid award. 

MPlayle

Quote from: 94touring on March 02, 2021, 11:49:11 AM
Unless I get sent home early I'm working those days unfortunately.  I got a 2 month schedule this last bid award.

You'll be missed.  I tried to post the date selection back at the end of January in hopes of working with your scheduling.  I slipped up on getting hotel info out quicker.

94touring

I usually bid 1 month out at a time but had a 2 month bid that I was awarded for specific days I need in March for something. 

Willie_B

Just to be sure I got this right. Arrive Monday April 26, drives on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Leave on Friday. So 4 nights at the hotel? Sounds like fun again. I will be ready.

MiniDave

I expect to see a video of the orange car buzzing around the neighborhood any time now!   77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Quote from: Willie_B on March 02, 2021, 01:26:20 PM
Just to be sure I got this right. Arrive Monday April 26, drives on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Leave on Friday. So 4 nights at the hotel? Sounds like fun again. I will be ready.

That is pretty much correct.  I do have shorter drives for Monday and Friday planned as "optional".

I have my reservations in already for 4 nights - arrive Monday, leave Friday.  I am planning to arrive early Monday for any "early-birds" that want a short drive that day.  I am also planning to return to San Antonio on Friday after that day's "optional" drive.

gr8kornholio

Unless Santa's elves show up and put my car together I'm unfortunately going to miss this.  So much going on the poor car has been on the way back burner.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Quote from: gr8kornholio on March 02, 2021, 07:15:24 PM
Unless Santa's elves show up and put my car together I'm unfortunately going to miss this.  So much going on the poor car has been on the way back burner.

I was thinking about sending you a message this week asking how it's coming along. 

Willie_B

Just made my reservations for 4 nights. I signed up for their rewards program, should get 4 $25 hotel gift cards for the stay. If I take a slightly different route than last time it's only 1095 miles form home. The other way is 1071 miles. I just want see some different trees.

MiniDave

So, you took 20 all the way last time, and this time you'll go south on 85 to 10 and across? That takes you thru some major cities along the way if that's what you're thinking.....tho that has to be  way more scenic since you'll be cruising close to the ocean for a lot of it.

1000 miles is a long way in one shot, so where will you stop?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

If that's the route, it's not much more scenic. At least not the interstate.  Still a tunnel of pine trees for the majority. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Willie_B

Last time I went 85 down and 10 across, both ways. This time it will be 20 into Mississippi then down on 59 or 55 to 10. My plan is to get to Lafayette the first night, 600 miles or so. I will be using my RV so I have my overnights covered. Cracker Barrel has longer RV spaces in back and let folks stay the night in their lot, there is one in Lafayette. Another plus to the southern route is that it will be the middle of crawfish season so I foresee stopping for some along the way.

MPlayle

Early this next week I will be putting in a reservation for dinner at the Cowboy Steakhouse for the group at the end of the Wednesday drive.

Can I get a guesstimate head count to give them as a start?

Edit:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the list of possible attendees so far is:
Steyers
Brad (Willie_B)
Bruce Kennedy
Michael Playle

Brit_in_TX

I will be attending Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.  Unfortunately I do not have enough PTO from my job to take the week off. 

My plan is drive over from NE San Antonio on Tuesday evening. 

Now I just need to get the mini running right!

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Willie_B

Quote from: Brit_in_TX on March 15, 2021, 11:29:43 AM

Come even if you don't have a mini to bring. I have been known to share my mini driving. Which I need to get back on the road also.

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: Willie_B on March 15, 2021, 05:53:14 PM
Quote from: Brit_in_TX on March 15, 2021, 11:29:43 AM

Come even if you don't have a mini to bring. I have been known to share my mini driving. Which I need to get back on the road also.

Honestly it is the motivation I need to sort it out!

MPlayle

Just a quick reminder: The drive event is still a "go".

I will be arriving early Monday to be available to lead an optional shorter drive to lunch in Fredricksburg for the early folks (if any).  Monday afternoon is intended as the "meet & greet" as folks arrive.

Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday are the main drives with dinner at the Cowboy Steakhouse on Wednesday evening.

I will also be available to lead another optional shorter drive Friday for anyone deciding to leave later Friday or Saturday.

Willie_B

Weather is looking to be real good when we are there.

BruceK

I'm excited!  I changed the oil in my Mini yesterday in preparation for the event.  Still got to raise the front suspension - which has settled a bit - to lessen the tires rubbing on the body. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

It will drive better too....especially over those damn cattle grates- I will def be slowing down for those this year!   :-\

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Quote from: MiniDave on April 15, 2021, 11:27:09 AM
It will drive better too....especially over those damn cattle grates- I will def be slowing down for those this year!

I will definitely be keeping in mind how we go over the cattle grates as well.

BruceK

In honor of Brad's visit to Texas for this event, I convinced a local eatery to rename itself.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S