Valve stem height question

Started by Hercplt, September 20, 2020, 11:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hercplt

Ok... so may seem a stupid question... but here goes.

When I compress all the cylinders, I can hear air escaping somewhere.  I just replaced with a new head gasket.

So, question;  Do the exhaust and intake valves (when both closed at TDC) come to the same height??  Look at the pic and tell me I'm not crazy... but it looks like the exhaust valve is still slightly open when compared to the intake.  This is the same on all four, hence the low compression on all four.

Thoughts??

Thanks fellas

edit:  Sorry for the upsidedown picture... 8.gif

Rich

1980 Mini 1000 (Canadian Spec).
998cc +60.  12G295 Head (ported, skimmed etc), VP7 Cam, Twin HS2.... sweet sweet 7.5" Cooper brakes!

MiniDave

Depends.....

Has it had a valve job? did you have hardened seats installed?

Generally, the valves should be the same height, and while there could be a small difference, it shouldn't be large....so I would pull the head yet again and see if the exhaust valves are bent and/or sticking. Alternatively, you can set one cylinder to TDC and put air into the cylinder to hold the valves closed, then remove the spring and keeper, take the air pressure off momentarily and see if the valve moves freely. However, in trying to do this, if the valve is bent or being held open you may not get enough pressure to maintain the valve closed to get the keepers off....if that happens the head has to come off again anyway.

Bottom line, I would pull the head and see what's up. You definitely have a fundamental systemic problem with your compression.

too bad you're not closer, I would like to help you see what's going on. The other thing you could do is put a dial indicator on the #1 intake valve and see where the cam timing is - but something is def wrong here. Another simple way to check cam timing is to leave the push rods in the first and 4th cylinder, set it on TDC #1 and the two push rods on #4 should be in rock (as you rotate the crank back and forth over TDC the intake and exhaust should each move with very little movement of the crank), and the two on #1 all the way down and not moving.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Hercplt

Quote from: MiniDave on September 20, 2020, 12:20:25 PM
Another simple way to check cam timing is to leave the push rods in the first and 4th cylinder, set it on TDC #1 and the two push rods on #4 should be in rock (as you rotate the crank back and forth over TDC the intake and exhaust should each move with very little movement of the crank), and the two on #1 all the way down and not moving.

I can tell that this is happening as described just by rocking the crank with the head and rockers in place...  in/ex on #1 hold still and in/ex #4 rocks as you suggest.

Head was done years ago, but then the engine sat for about 10+ years until now... (998+60) has larger valves, hardened seats.  My gut is saying that there could be an issue with the guides or the face of the valves on the seats (corroded?)... guess the head comes off again!

Thanks.

Rich
998cc +60.  12G295 Head (ported, skimmed etc), VP7 Cam, Twin HS2.... sweet sweet 7.5" Cooper brakes!

MiniDave

Yep, I would....it could be the valves are sticking or like you said, something under them. If nothing else, lap them in again. But first just pull one and see what you can learn.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

can you tell where the air is escaping for sure? take off the rockers and put compressed air in the cylinder and verify the leak.  If the intake seats were just ground and hard seats put in the exhaust that could account for the difference you see. Dont pull the head until you confirm the leak once its off you can only guess unless it's obvious.  If sitting for a while you will hear some air hissing past the rings just do the compressed air thing and listen to intake exhaust and crankcase.

tsumini

If it's any help  I started another thread with photos of a copper head gasket as removed from my 850 which had good seal.

http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?topic=2347.msg43949#msg43949

Hercplt

Quote from: jeff10049 on September 20, 2020, 01:45:42 PM
can you tell where the air is escaping for sure? take off the rockers and put compressed air in the cylinder and verify the leak.  If the intake seats were just ground and hard seats put in the exhaust that could account for the difference you see. Dont pull the head until you confirm the leak once its off you can only guess unless it's obvious.  If sitting for a while you will hear some air hissing past the rings just do the compressed air thing and listen to intake exhaust and crankcase.

Ok.. so... put 90 psi to each cylinder (rockers off, all valves closed).  I can hear through the crankcase breather from all cylinders.  #2 cyl I can hear some air hissing in the exhaust.

Anything I can do to help the rings seal up after sitting for so long?  Or am I just %$#??

cstudep

I have had some luck un-sticking rings (if that is your problem) in other motors that have sat for a long time with a little Marvel Mystery Oil down each spark plug hole, let sit overnight then push outside before starting, start, once the smoke clears enough you can see, head for the highway for a little "Italian tune-up". A trip of 15-20 or so miles at varying speeds usually does the trick if it is going to work.

I am no expert on these little motors so this may not be a good idea on these, I am sure Dave and other real experts will chime in.

It goes without saying that an oil/filter change is in order, some do it before starting some after. You can run MMO in your oil so I have never worried about it harming anything for the few miles it's running before the filter change. Like I said though I am not sure if this is good advice on these motors with the single sump for the trans/motor I have only used this trick on old american V8 motors.

MiniDave

Can't hurt, but I doubt the MMO is what loosens the rings up, rather the Italian tune up is what does it.

However, if you're hearing air out the exhaust clearly that exhaust valve isn't seating properly. Marvel isn't likely to help that......but won't hurt the rest of the engine any if you decide to try it.

Now if it's just crud under the exhaust valve seat that's one thing, if it's not closing all the way due to sticking or being bent, running it hard will burn it for sure. I would still pull the head and remove all the springs and look at the seats. If the valves move freely in the guides, I would lap them in, put on some new stem seals (all 8 valves) then test them on the bench by putting the springs back on and pouring some gasoline into the port - if it doesn't leak you you're good to go - if it does, time to get the valves ground properly.

At that point you have a decision to make - pull the motor and rebuild it as needed - probably just a new set of rings, a light hone and some new rod bearing shells or bolt the head on and see what it does, knowing you're probably going to be pulling it anyway.

Do it right - do it once is always my philosophy.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Hercplt

Valves are out.  Sorry forgot to take before and after pics.

Guides are great... valves are straight.

Is it normal for intake valves to have more carbon build up than exhaust??

Seats are ok... should lap in well... but none of these valves were really seating well...

MiniDave

Were there stem seals on the intakes? If not, I would put them on. If it's been running rich and burning oil then yes I've seen intakes carbon up badly - they run cooler than the exhaust valves so stuff can stick to them and not be burned off.

So, is the plan now to just lap them in and reinstall the head and then see what your compression is like?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Hercplt

So yeah, the stem seals on the intakes are in good shape.

And yes, it has always run on  the rich side... so the junk on the intakes makes sense being cooler.

I think given that the valves cleaned up well... first couple have lapped in really well imo.  I will likely bolt it all back together and see what the compression does.  If after some use it doesn't come up it will go away for the winter and do a ring job in the spring if needed.  As I said... it doesn't blow oil past the rings so I'm hoping that the bigger issue was the valves.  Fingers crossed!

Hercplt

So far so good..  17.gif .. all back together.  Started first crank... warmed up nice, even a lap around the block.  An improvement.

Retorque tomorrow and drive the piss out of it.

I don't want to make a career of lapping valves by hand... just saying.

94touring

Any improvements with compression?

Hercplt

I'll do a compression test once I see how it drives... first guess is that its come up... no more constant cranking to start it...

tsumini

I chucked the hand lapper cup in my variable speed drill and made short work of lapping. Chucking the cup was kinda rube goldberg but worked. Later realized I could have just taken an old valve with double stick tape and chuck it in the vari drill back to back as in photo.
Was there evidence of poor seat contact? Should have been obviuos.

tsumini

Quote from: Hercplt on September 27, 2020, 04:20:42 PM
I'll do a compression test once I see how it drivets... first guess is that its come up... no more constant cranking to start it...
Sounds familiar. I checked accel time and compared it to published spec.

Hercplt

Quote from: tsumini on September 27, 2020, 04:53:50 PM
I chucked the hand lapper cup in my variable speed drill and made short work of lapping. Chucking the cup was kinda rube goldberg but worked. Later realized I could have just taken an old valve with double stick tape and chuck it in the vari drill back to back as in photo.

Oh man... i was contemplating using a variable drill...  but figured I should follow the rules... i didn't want to screw it up!!  Next time...

And yes... they were very obviously not seating correctly.   Intake valves were very crusty... and all the seats were rough looking... valves were ok... but not cleanly lapped if that makes sense.  As I said... it was built about 20 years ago... and sat for the last 10+... God that makes me feel old!!

Jimini II

I was taught years ago as an apprentice that the valve needs to be lapped in and not to use a drill.
Now since then i have been known to use a drill when the pitting was bad and then lap in by hand.
Glad you have it sorted.

tsumini

Quote from: Hercplt on September 27, 2020, 05:27:57 PM
Quote from: tsumini on September 27, 2020, 04:53:50 PM

Oh man... i was contemplating using a variable drill...  but figured I should follow the rules... i didn't want to screw it up!!  Next time...

And yes... they were very obviously not seating correctly.   Intake valves were very crusty... and all the seats were rough looking... valves were ok... but not cleanly lapped if that makes sense.  As I said... it was built about 20 years ago... and sat for the last 10+... God that makes me feel old!!

Yeah I tried the hand lap but that seemed more like making fire by rubbing two sticks together to make fire. I figgered
the worst that could happen was that I would have to take it down to a machine shop and have valves ground properly.
I found where the intake valves were obvously leaking and lapped them both. I lapped another but it had been sealing.
I didn't lap the other five since I had identified the leakers.
Photo shows the shiny sealing witness mark and dull leaky area with no witness mark.
Glad to hear it'a sorted.

tsumini

Quote from: Jimini II on September 27, 2020, 05:40:32 PM
I was taught years ago as an apprentice that the valve needs to be lapped in and not to use a drill.
Now since then i have been known to use a drill when the pitting was bad and then lap in by hand.
Glad you have it sorted.

I would agree with that on an initial build but this is what we called a "field repair" best effort repair. It probably won't last as long as machine grind but buys a lot of time. Also probably wouldn't help burned valves either.

Hercplt

ok... final word on the compression issues...

I've run the Mini arouind (since re-lapped valves and bores well soaked with MMO) and still runs crappy... just mildly not as crappy as before.

Todays cold compression test as follows;

1.  110
2.  110
3.  113
4.  106

Same test after tablespoon of Marvel oil in the bores and some cranking...

1.  145
2.  145
3.  155  (#3 actually hit 210 and then I retested).
4.  135

Verdict?  Gotta start shopping for new rings. 

MiniDave

Yep, sounds like the rings got cooked somehow, time for a rebuild. Maybe take the opportunity to install some larger valves and do some port work, get it flowing a little better.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

Was the head gasket sealing better than the first time you took the head off? or was there evidence of leaking (streaking) past the crimped lip? Loading up with oil in the CC should increase compression just as it would the rings.
Surely there's a better way to implicate the rings.

jeff10049

Quote from: tsumini on October 03, 2020, 06:29:02 PM
Was the head gasket sealing better than the first time you took the head off? or was there evidence of leaking (streaking) past the crimped lip? Loading up with oil in the CC should increase compression just as it would the rings.
Surely there's a better way to implicate the rings.
I think the leak down test done earlier also implcates the rings. An actual leak down tester to indicate the amount would be nice but the calibrated ear seemed to indicate rings on all cylinders. And valves on some.
You could pressure again and confirm valves are now good.