Problems bolting up Cooper remote

Started by Coalhod, August 29, 2020, 09:52:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coalhod

Hello: In my attempt to re-install engine/trans I managed to strip 1 of the longer remote housing threads.  Both of the shorter engine side bolts line up and engage fine but the rear longer bolts are on a bind.  Heli coiled the stripped housing, now stripped one of the bolts!

Prior to this installed new Mini Spares motor mounts as well as a new mount at the tail of the remote housing.  Left all mounts loose as well as dogbone and used a floor jack to mate the remote housing to the differential housing.

Only thoughts I have now is to remove the heli coil which will be a treat and assemble everything then "line bore" with a drill and re-thread.

Andrew

MiniDave

I'm trying to understand what your problem is here.....normally I find the remotes just slip right into place, are you sure you have the fork lined up properly on the ball when you're raising it up? It's so light I don't know why you would have to use a jack to put it in?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Coalhod

Dave thanks.

I suppose I used the jack as I kept wrestling with the housing in an attempt to figure out what was going on.  It is in place with the fork/ball arrangement as I installed the gearstick to make sure it would work.  Definitely has me stumped as to why one side bolted up fine but the other side has so much resistance.