67 Cooper S roller

Started by 94touring, August 20, 2020, 10:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

It's a project but not a total rot box.  I can toss in a remote shift 1098 to sweeten the deal and maybe a panel or two it will need.  $3000 obo.  Get this thing out of my shop.

cstudep

Why must you tempt me. This one looks to be in much better shape than the 68 S shell I have that I was contemplating restoring.

How bad is it? Since you are a pretty good restorer as far as I can tell I feel like I could trust your assessment LOL.

Does it have Hydro suspension/subframes? I assume the 1098 motor would need rebuilt etc..

MiniDave

The 1098 runs, in fact it sounds pretty good on my engine test stand! Doesn't smoke and has good compression.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

Nice! Thanks for the info Dave, I should have known you were the the "keeper of the engines"  4.gif

MiniDave

He brought it up when he brought up the one we built for his blue Mini....about 4 years ago? it's just been sitting under my workbench since.

When you pick up the car at Dan's you can swing by my place and pick up the motor on the way home, it's right on the way   77.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: cstudep on August 21, 2020, 05:38:24 PM
Why must you tempt me. This one looks to be in much better shape than the 68 S shell I have that I was contemplating restoring.

How bad is it? Since you are a pretty good restorer as far as I can tell I feel like I could trust your assessment LOL.

Does it have Hydro suspension/subframes? I assume the 1098 motor would need rebuilt etc..

It needs the standard panels...wings, a panels, cills.  The boot floor needs replaced too, but that's not too bad with a rotisserie.  Tanks will needs professionally cleaned.  The subs have been converted to dry.  I can certainly restore the shell for the buyer, and Dave can do the engine and subframes.  Won't be cheap of course!

cstudep

Thanks for the info, I would be doing the resto work myself, or at least attempting to as I am learning LOL.

Just drew up some plans for a rotisserie build, just need to buy the steel. The plan was to strip my 60 down to the shell and get it repainted/some minor body work stuff done.

I could then use the rotisserie to work on the 68 shell I have, but I am still trying to determine if it's worth tackling as it's pretty rough in spots like around the floor to firewall area (completely rusted through below the steering mount area on both sides of the tunnel), rear boot floor, back corners, part of the rear seat shelf and where it meets the boot floor, etc... For sure worse than this one but I got it basically given to me with the purchase of some other things I bought several years ago and all the glass was good in it along with some other decent parts I could salvage so I hauled it home. I have it stripped to the shell now, just not sure it's worth fixing with all the rust.

94touring

Quote from: cstudep on August 25, 2020, 08:57:39 AM
Thanks for the info, I would be doing the resto work myself, or at least attempting to as I am learning LOL.

Just drew up some plans for a rotisserie build, just need to buy the steel. The plan was to strip my 60 down to the shell and get it repainted/some minor body work stuff done.

I could then use the rotisserie to work on the 68 shell I have, but I am still trying to determine if it's worth tackling as it's pretty rough in spots like around the floor to firewall area (completely rusted through below the steering mount area on both sides of the tunnel), rear boot floor, back corners, part of the rear seat shelf and where it meets the boot floor, etc... For sure worse than this one but I got it basically given to me with the purchase of some other things I bought several years ago and all the glass was good in it along with some other decent parts I could salvage so I hauled it home. I have it stripped to the shell now, just not sure it's worth fixing with all the rust.

So you'll be here this week with cash in hand?  ;D

Here's an article on rotisseries if you need ideas. I slapped together 2 rotisseries years ago with scrap metal and oil rig pipes we has laying around.

http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?topic=135.0

cstudep

LOL, if only it were that simple. I have to convince the wife that I need yet another project to work on. With the whole virus thing money has also been a little tighter than usual for things such as this thanks to some involuntary time off from work.

Definitely have some interest here just got to see what I can do.

Does the passenger side have some damage or is it just the picture/lighting? The passenger side door off the 68 I have is actually in fairly good shape, the drivers side needs re skinned.

Thanks for the rotisserie PDF, I actually managed to find that here a year or so ago but for whatever reason I never joined up at the time.

94touring

Has some damage on the right side, however the door skin should be done and the rear quarter with the tank out will easily push out with a small dolly.

cstudep

Dan, I tried to send you a message but I am not sure if it worked or not. It said it sent but then if I go to my messages area I do not see it in the sent. Let me know if you got it or not.

94touring

I got the message.  It's 230am in Germany and I've been drinking...so I'll respond shortly.

cstudep

LOL, no worries just wanted to make sure it actually sent. Feel free to respond whenever you have time, no hurry.

94touring

Jimini II

It was a bargain at that price.

94touring

Quote from: Jimini II on September 15, 2020, 11:05:05 AM
It was a bargain at that price.

And it's not even leaving here, going to end up restoring the shell.  It's back in it's shed out of the elements till probably next year sometime.