Greetings And Salutations

Started by QuickSilver, May 11, 2010, 02:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuickSilver

I have an early Mini (maybe a 59 but who knows/cares at this point), that needs a complete floor.

Where do you Guys get your body panels from?

In case someone near me (DFW) has the following for sale:

Used 10" tires to use as rollers around the garage.
    New floor panels.

Regards.

D1QS.

94touring

Well welcome.  Thought minimania was the only mini forum for you?  8.gif   I buy a lot of panels from minisport.  Depending on quantity and size, shipping can work for or against you.  Either way it is cheaper than some US mini parts suppliers.  I've also been using GBcarparts.com a fair amount lately too.  Ships quick and has some good deals on panels and other parts, just not as large of a selection as others. 

Post up some pics of what you have and/or throw them in the media gallery. 

QuickSilver

I forgot about GB Parts. So MiniSport UK?

94touring

Yep, minisport in the UK.  They have a shipping calculator you can use as you go along to see how much things will cost.  Some of the bigger panels can get pricey with shipping, but at the same time if you buy smaller things with the big items, a lot of times they don't cost any extra to ship. The front end for the pickup I ordered was still priced better from them than I could have gotten it anywhere in the US at the time.  

MPlayle

Hey QS,

Welcome to my "other" hang out.  I am over here as much as on MM.  And welcome back to Mini ownership!

4.gif

macmanron

1966 Austin Cooper S,1965 Morris Mini Minor Traveller, 1965 Triumph TR4A, 1965 Triumph Spitfire(project)

94touring

Regarding welders:  You don't need a 220 to do sheet metal.  Would it be nice, of course.  I've always used my handy harbor freight flux core mig and it gets the job done.  Flux core spatters a bit, but when it comes to body work you'll be grinding and prepping anyways with either welder.  I have mine set on the low power setting and feed speed set to the middle.  Works for me.   

Floors, unless you need a new tunnel, buy it in halves.  A half being from the front pan clear to the rear, and may or may not include the inner/outer cill, depending which floors halves you go with or need.  Shipping is less this way too.  Also for structural stability, do one side at a time and leave the cross members in place as well or brace it somehow if you need to take the cross members out. 

QuickSilver

Hi Dan:

Welder:
Is this the one you have? http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/mig-flux-welders/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-94056.html
If it's good enough for you (I've seen your work) then it's good enough for me.

Floors:
Great British has only quarters, what is your opinion on that?

What I am going to do Dan, if you don't mind, is email (my preference) you the pics of the floors for your opinion on what can be saved, etc

94touring

http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-98871.html

Thats the one I have, basically the same 90amps as the other with some very minor differences.  Priced the same too, I even got mine on sale like they are right now.  Also, any welder I've ever used 220 and down, on sheet metal I've always had to do short burst as I go along to avoid burning holes.  It takes some practice if you're new at it, but not that hard to figure out with some patience. 

I suppose if you buy the floors in quarters you could cut a quarter out at a time and have even more structural strength as you go.  The only down side is it requires additional welding and effort to make it look clean and pretty where the panels meet up. 

94touring

On a positive note I did just look up the floors on GB and 4 quarters are priced pretty dang good.  Shipping quote to AZ was $45 using fed ex.  Probably not much difference to TX.  Grand total after shipping is around $180...not bad for a whole floor.  MM sells a complete half anywhere from 180 to 350, then whatever shipping is.  Looking quickly on minisport you could buy both halfs for around $250, then shipping cost.   

QuickSilver

Would be $170.22 to my front door.

I was offered two halves privately for $300 and a complete floor for $399.00

94touring

Well there you go.  Where did you find that complete floor for $170?

Email those photos of your car and I'll get you an opinion.   

MPlayle

I think QS meant the 4 quarter pieces would be $170.  The 1-piece complete floor being $399.

94touring

QuickSilver

Getting ready to order from GB but I have a question based on what you said yesterday Dan.

So where exactly does the four quarters join, specifically the front and back? If under the cross brace then no worries and I know that the sides (inwards) will join to the tunnel and that will be noticeable.

94touring

It should join up along the front edge of the cross member.  You may want to consider taking the cross member out to make it easier.  My pickups cross member is rotted enough I need to replace it anyways, but regardless I think I would take it out to make things easier.  Good time to coat the inside of it too.