How does one know if/when a radius arm bearing is bad?

Started by Dmulder, August 11, 2020, 08:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmulder

I have a grinding noise in my right rear. It only happens once per rotation of the rear wheel. It doesn't sound like any other wheel bearings I've ever had go bad. How would I know if it is the rear radius arm bearing or the wheel bearing?
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

94touring

Wouldn't be the radius arm.  A wheel bearing or even something screwy with your brakes.  Pull the drum and take a peak.

BruceK

I'm no expert in rear radius arms, but they really don't have anything to do with the rotation of the wheel.  If you are getting a noise with each revolution of the wheel it either has to be bearing-related, or brake-related.  (Unless somehow your tire or wheel is fouling on the radius arm).

I suspect it is brake-related, like a high spot on the drum or a brake shoe or spring or something has come loose and is striking the drum.   My suggestion is to back off the brake adjuster and pull the drum and see what you have going on in there.  And with the drum off you can check the bearing too for play.   

But I'm sure other people will chime in...
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Dmulder

Thank you guys. I wasn't sure about the rear radius arm. I've done plenty of wheel bearings and brakes so I will take a look at those. Thanks again.
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jimini II

It sounds like the brake drum may be rubbing on the backplate.
Before you remove the drum with the car jacked up spin the wheel and see if you can duplicate the noise.