Mini windshield install video

Started by BruceK, August 09, 2020, 05:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

This video is being shared by my local Mini group in a discussion of glass installation.

I wonder what those of you who have installed glass think of this guy's work.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

I don't have the fancy suction cups but that looks exactly like what I do.

BruceK

What about the filet spreader tool he used?   That looks different than the ones I've seen for sale.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on August 09, 2020, 05:22:34 PM
What about the filet spreader tool he used?   That looks different than the ones I've seen for sale.

I use this one as well. 

BruceK

Ah.  This one and a weird one with a roller are they ones I've seen before.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I tried one like what you posted and it bent and broke in about 3 seconds.

94touring

What are the guys in your discussion group saying?

BruceK

Just kidding around that it's no big thing to do - as evidenced by the professional installing on the video.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I need a pair of those suction cups.

MPlayle

A friend of mine has a couple similar suction cups I may borrow.  I already have the filet tool like Dan posted.

When I did the side windows on the Mini Marcos, I used recycled popsicle stick in a similar manner.

I have also done the rear windows in a Mini Estate back about 18 - 19 years ago.  I had some bicycle tire tires that resembled much smaller versions of the green tool the guy in the video was using.  I don't have them anymore - went with the tire repair kit for a bike I sold many years ago.

tsumini

Video is also the way I did mine only it took a while longer and did't have the suction cups so needed a helping hand to reduce the chances of dropping it. Basically the same tool for the chrome insert. AS before make sure rubber grooves width is wider for the glass edge and narrow groove for the body metal edge.

Red Riley

Quote from: 94touring on August 09, 2020, 05:58:24 PM
Quote from: BruceK on August 09, 2020, 05:22:34 PM

I use this one as well.

I have one like that but it had really sharp edges on the openings. I spent some time with a file and smoothed it down. It worked reasonably well. The loop kind looks like it would bend in a strong wind. I don't understand how it could be strong enough to stand up to the force needed to get the locking strip in.

John Gervais

I use the wire-type filet strip tool without problems, and don't have any suction cups. 

What I do have, though, is an average-strength right hand to hold the glass at the top edge as the left hand ensures that the bottom edge of the windshield is seated properly in the gasket.
- Pave the Bay -

Jimini II

Quote from: MPlayle on August 09, 2020, 08:54:19 PM
A friend of mine has a couple similar suction cups I may borrow.  I already have the filet tool like Dan posted.

When I did the side windows on the Mini Marcos, I used recycled popsicle stick in a similar manner.

I have also done the rear windows in a Mini Estate back about 18 - 19 years ago.  I had some bicycle tire tires that resembled much smaller versions of the green tool the guy in the video was using.  I don't have them anymore - went with the tire repair kit for a bike I sold many years ago.

I picked up a cheap set of plastic levers with various different ends on them from Harbor Freight, they work well on windshields and are sturdy too.

MPlayle

Quote from: Jimini II on August 10, 2020, 05:22:50 PM
I picked up a cheap set of plastic levers with various different ends on them from Harbor Freight, they work well on windshields and are sturdy too.

My friend could not find his suction cups, so I went to Harbor Freight and got a couple.  I also got a set plastic levers that had one like the guy in the video was using.

77.gif

94touring

Good deal.  I think I'll be making a trip to HF for those. 

MPlayle

Jimini II

I forgot they had suction cups it sure makes the job easier especially if you are working on your own.