Rocker Arm tight on #1 and #8

Started by Coalhod, July 31, 2020, 03:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coalhod

Hello;

Recently installed a new set of standard forged rocker arms in my 1965 Cooper S.  I am not the original owner.  Anyway, when taking apart the old bits the rocker assembly was missing the 2A18 springs that fit on the ends of the shaft.  What was there on teardown were some fairly thick washers with a pretty good gap for the rocker arm to move around.  Now that I have fitted the new rockers/springs/and old thick washers it's kinda tight as in needs some persuasion to get the rocker to move.

I figure the best bet is to fit less thick washers probably not a good thing to have the rockers/pushrod have constricted movement although do not want to have a big gap on the rocker shaft either.

AJ

MiniDave

The washers that the springs ride on are pretty thin, the springs take up the gap......so you're on the right track. BTW, from the outside it's cotter pin, thin washer, spring, rocker arm.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I seem to recall that the bushings of the forged rockers also need slight reaming to permit proper fitment.

MiniDave

The ones I bought from Spares fit perfectly, the ones I bought from Mini Sport and Somerford both had to be finish honed, but they would not go on the shaft till they were, so there was no forcing them on and having them be tight to the shaft.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Coalhod

FWIW finally able to replace the washers on #1 & #8 - the parts sites list them as .040" thick so I found some steel 9/16" by 18 gauge (approximately .045") washers at the hardware store, rockers move freely now.

thanks again for your help,

AJ