HIF throttle cable mount plate

Started by Willie_B, July 29, 2020, 06:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

Just noticed that there are two different versions of it. One has a stud for the air cleaner housing and the other does not. The one that does not have the stud is shorter across where the cable goes by a bit over 1/4". I have seen posts in the past about interference with the plate and the intake manifold. This might be enough of a difference to help with that.

The orange one in the photos has the stud, the silver one does not.

tmsmini

Do they have different part numbers?

Jimini II

Another issue the HIFs run into is bulkhead clearance but I am not sure if it applys to Mokes, most issues with the problem I have seen are with 1275s.
Early 90s Minis with 1275s and carbs had The engine moved forward and longer dog bones to help with The clearance issues.
The Metro intake is supposed to have the most clearance.I
With the Moke you may get lucky Brad.

94touring

No bulkhead issues with my hif44 on a 1275 but it did require a 6mm spacer to clear the intake manifold for the bracket without the stud. 

MiniDave

That 6mm (1/4") spacer is the issue - plenty of 1/2" spacers around for 1 3/4" carbs, but those 1/4's are hard to find, and spendy!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: 94touring on July 30, 2020, 12:59:42 PM
No bulkhead issues with my hif44 on a 1275 but it did require a 6mm spacer to clear the intake manifold for the bracket without the stud.

A lot depends on which aftermarket intake you use there are a lot of variations.
I did a Clubman Estate and it was a bear.
I ended up with no spacer, modified quadrant linkage and an adjustable engine steady all because the owner was trading it and did not want to look at manifold alternatives.

94touring

I'm using the minispares manifold.

John Gervais

I've never seen one without the air filter housing stud. 

I wonder how one fixes the air box in place?
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

On my Clubby Estate they bashed the firewall in slightly, but it still hit. I used the 1/4" spacer and it worked without hitting and with a std steady bar.

I think Bruce went with a smaller spacer on his '88 to get clearance too.....

Most people run a K&N filter with their HIF44, John. I didn't on my Clubby so I used the stud, and I would love to have a std airbox for my '89 Racing green to replace the K&N on it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Ah - I have a K&N inside a drilled plastic airbox sitting above the HIF38 and 1/4" spacer.  I used to be able to use the ½" spacer, which I really liked, but after I changed to the newer MiniSpares manifold (round profile coolant tube casting vs. the old-style 'square' casting), the ½" spacer no longer fit.

The float chamber cover sits really close to the bulkhead, and the manifold required a tiny of 'dressing' to clear the throttle quadrant.
- Pave the Bay -

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on July 30, 2020, 02:54:17 PM

I think Bruce went with a smaller spacer on his '88 to get clearance too.....

Yes I recently installed a very thin carb spacer.  And I also installed a adjustable engine steady to slightly crank the engine away from the firewall.   Combined, it worked well. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

I should also mention that I took a Dremel to the lower part of the throttle cable "arm" to achieve some clearance against contact with the manifold.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

cstudep

So if a guy was going to attempt converting a dual carb setup to a single HIF44 what is the recommended setup for a 1275 in a 1960 car? It's running a 266 fast road cam and I would probably run it with a K&N filter.

It sounds like a HIF44 with the minispares manifold, a 6mm spacer and the bracket without the air cleaner stud will fit without bulkhead issues?

I currently have a dual HS4 setup which is way to much carb, I put them on in place of a weber 45 DCOE that was also way too much carb hoping that it would be less too much carb. I have this odd looking Nikki carb on a mini manifold but I have no idea what it is. The dual carbs just aggravate me so I am thinking the single SU should be less of a headache.

MiniDave

I think you're right on the money - an HIF44 on the Mini Spares intake should work well on that combo.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: cstudep on August 09, 2020, 05:42:51 PM
So if a guy was going to attempt converting a dual carb setup to a single HIF44 what is the recommended setup for a 1275 in a 1960 car? It's running a 266 fast road cam and I would probably run it with a K&N filter.

It sounds like a HIF44 with the minispares manifold, a 6mm spacer and the bracket without the air cleaner stud will fit without bulkhead issues?

I currently have a dual HS4 setup which is way to much carb, I put them on in place of a weber 45 DCOE that was also way too much carb hoping that it would be less too much carb. I have this odd looking Nikki carb on a mini manifold but I have no idea what it is. The dual carbs just aggravate me so I am thinking the single SU should be less of a headache.

Precisely the issue I had. 1310 fast road build with a 266 and my dual hs4s were too much. Couldn't get air fuel consistent across the whole rev range along with cruise economy.  Tuned for countless hours with a wideband and finally gave up.  Went hif44, added a 6mm spacer and no issues with the bulkhead.  I use an med filter with stubstack.

cstudep

Excellent, thank you for the info gents. Like you 94Touring I have spent countless hours trying to tune but unlike you without the benefit of a wideband, which I do plan on purchasing as well. It just never seems to want to run consistently.

Now to find a HIF44, if you run across anyone that wants a set of dual HS4's or a Weber 45 let me know.

94touring

My twins will be for sale soon too, just ordered new gaskets to get it ready for someone.  Ashamed cause it's a nice looking setup and all brand new.

I don't even know how I tuned without a wideband after installing one in the car.  You will see how much effect every little adjustment makes, including spring weights and dashpot oil.  I even fine tuned mine using 0.7oz washers as counterweight to really dial in cruise tune.

cstudep

yeah mine are basically brand new as well. Oh well, live and learn I guess. If I wasn't spending money on the mini the wife would think I must have sold it.

cstudep

So is finding the mini spares intake manifold like finding a unicorn these days? What about the mini sport version, is it similar enough to work?

I did manage to find the 6mm spacer without issue. Go figure.

BruceK

Quote from: cstudep on August 09, 2020, 08:39:06 PM
So is finding the mini spares intake manifold like finding a unicorn these days? What about the mini sport version, is it similar enough to work?

I did manage to find the 6mm spacer without issue. Go figure.

Huh?  For the HIF44?   It's very available right here.  And at £31 it's a bargain.   Or am I not understanding?

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Exhaust_and_manifold/Inlet/Inlet/C-AHT770.aspx?110202&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/Manifold.aspx%7CBack%20to%20search

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

cstudep

Odd, when I searched for it last night I could not find it. Maybe it was the beer I was drinking, or maybe I am just blind.
4.gif

94touring

Quote from: cstudep on August 10, 2020, 04:53:38 AM
Odd, when I searched for it last night I could not find it. Maybe it was the beer I was drinking, or maybe I am just blind.
4.gif

Beer goggles  115.gif

BruceK

Quote from: cstudep on August 10, 2020, 04:53:38 AM
4.gif

I had some trouble finding it too on the MiniSpares site.  They really need to optimize their search feature.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

John Gervais

Quote from: 94touring on August 09, 2020, 07:01:27 PM
... I even fine tuned mine using 0.7oz washers as counterweight to really dial in cruise tune.

Interesting that you used washers - how did you do it? 

I attempted to increase the weight my carb's piston at one point, but couldn't really find a decent way.
- Pave the Bay -

cstudep

Quote from: 94touring on August 09, 2020, 06:03:35 PM
Precisely the issue I had. 1310 fast road build with a 266 and my dual hs4s were too much. Couldn't get air fuel consistent across the whole rev range along with cruise economy.  Tuned for countless hours with a wideband and finally gave up.  Went hif44, added a 6mm spacer and no issues with the bulkhead.  I use an med filter with stubstack.

What needle do you run in your HIF44? I have no idea what one comes with as stock, or where one might deviate to with it as my only experience as far as research has been with trying to get the duals to work. Just trying to get my ducks in a row before I start shelling out money.