replacing front panels

Started by Rondon73, May 05, 2010, 02:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rondon73

Hi,

I'm planning on replacing the front panels on my 1990 Cooper RSP. The A-panels, wings, scuttle and front panel. Can anyone advise the order to fit these panels and where to weld on each panel, does anyone know? I'm going to hire the welder is a spot welder or a mig the best way to go.

All the best

Rondon

MPlayle

Be patient for Dan (94touring) to reply.  He has good recent experience doing such panel replacements and can tell you the best places to remove the old panels and where to weld the new.  His work schedule means he is not on here as much as he would like.

94touring

Hi Rondon,

Well to remove the panels you'll find the factory spot welds that you can drill and air chisel off.  A combination of drilling and air chisel seems to work good.  When fitting the panels back on, you may run into some fitment issues, even if you have genuine panels.  Get yourself some clamps and work on getting the best fit possible before welding.  Slight modifications may need to be made to get things where you want it.  I use a mig welder and re spot in welds roughly how the factory had done them.  Also, since you're doing A-panels, fit those with the doors in place and open and close the door to check clearances.  I once replaced a whole front end like you're doing and did my test fitments, then welded it all together off the car, painted the undersides, and then stuck it on and did my spot welds to the body.  Good luck, post pics.