Parts Warranty

Started by MiniDave, July 08, 2020, 01:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I've been working on Clancy's Moke off and on for a LONG time......I assembled the subframes with all new parts over a year ago and when we went to bleed the brakes recently found nothing but leaks - the master cylinder leaked internally, both front calipers - brand new in a disc brake kit - are leaking too.

It's been over a year since I bought these parts and like Justin's case, they sat in the same condition they arrived in, dry, no fluid.

I've sent a note off to Spares to see what they're going to do if anything, so I guess if nothing else this is a cautionary tale - don't buy brake parts with rubber in them well in advance. I like to have some of these parts on the shelf like master cylinders and slaves for the clutch and a brake master, but if they're going to fail when I need to use them then it's not worth it.

I've been having issues with other rubber parts too, boots for the tie rod ends and ball joints splitting before they've even gotten out of the shop, split CV boots that haven't done a mile yet and so on........

I'll let you know what they say......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Where are the calipers leaking from?  Piston seals or the main assembly?  I had to do some extra tightening on my last set.  Brake masters have been hit or miss on a number of builds I've done for years.  I wonder if there is an aftermarket non mini master we can buy in place of the stock ones.

MPlayle

If the rubber is deteriorating that quickly, I would also want to question how long the parts have been sitting at the suppliers as well.

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on July 08, 2020, 02:40:31 PM
If the rubber is deteriorating that quickly, I would also want to question how long the parts have been sitting at the suppliers as well.

Not to mention what is the quality of the rubber being used?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Piston seals leaking.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

bokbfok

It has been a while since I have been here. I recently also noted that the majority of the the rubber parts that I installed last year are torn or cracking, especially the gaitors.
Did you find any info form Spares?
1966 Mini Cooper S
2004 Gmc Sierra 2500HD
2005 MINI Cooper S
2019 Colorado ZR2

MiniDave

They sent me a new set of seals for the master cylinder, and I bought new seals for the calipers. The car is on the road now, but nothing further came from Spares.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad