New seats and no reverse

Started by gasmini, April 12, 2010, 08:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasmini

I just installed new seats in my pickup and now I can't put it into reverse. What now? Is there something I can do with the shifter lever to avoid hitting the seat to go into reverse?  21.gif
I also posted this on MM.

94touring

Yikes.  Any pics of this problem?  You could try a short shift kit maybe to reduce the distance of the throw.  Or perhaps offset the shifter rod itself?

macmanron

WHat type of shifter do you have? Remote, or I suspect a rod change? Could you adjust the right seat a little towards the door to clear it?
1966 Austin Cooper S,1965 Morris Mini Minor Traveller, 1965 Triumph TR4A, 1965 Triumph Spitfire(project)

gasmini

Quote from: 94touring on April 12, 2010, 09:34:07 PM
Yikes.  Any pics of this problem?  You could try a short shift kit maybe to reduce the distance of the throw.  Or perhaps offset the shifter rod itself?
I'm trying to remember how to reduce the size of my pictures so I can upload them.
Check my album for the pictures.
Quote from: macmanron on April 13, 2010, 04:07:53 PM
WHat type of shifter do you have? Remote, or I suspect a rod change? Could you adjust the right seat a little towards the door to clear it?
I have the rod change shifter. The seat is already about a half of an inch from hitting the door pocket.

94touring

Is that with it in reverse or just neutral? 

gasmini

Quote from: 94touring on April 13, 2010, 09:52:00 PM
Is that with it in reverse or just neutral? 

Its still in neutral and I would have to pull it back into the seat about as far as the picture with it in 4th to get it into reverse.

94touring

Are they really big seats or something?  I guess you'd have to just bend the shifter. 

gasmini

They are bigger than regular mini seats but they do fit in the cab. The seats came out of a 98 Honda Prelude. If I put them in a sedan model I could slide them farther back without interfering with anything. Bending the shifter does sound like the better option.

Does a short shifter just change the distances forward and backward or does it help with the side to side motion?

94touring

The short shift will make all the throws very short...no more hitting the passengers knees in most cases.  But, if its already hitting the seat in neutral you'd still have to bend it some.  Your best bet may be a short shifter and minimal bending of the shifter.   

macmanron

Just think Carrol Shelby had the same problem! They had to turn their shifters completely around! Look at one!
1966 Austin Cooper S,1965 Morris Mini Minor Traveller, 1965 Triumph TR4A, 1965 Triumph Spitfire(project)

mini_fly

I like the idea of comfy Honda seats.

What did you do for seat brackets?

Do you have any pictures?

gasmini

Quote from: mini_fly on April 15, 2010, 12:32:10 PM
I like the idea of comfy Honda seats.

What did you do for seat brackets?

Do you have any pictures?

I now have reverse. 1.gif
Here is a picture of the seats and the shifter in 2nd gear.
http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=916;preview

Still trying to figure out how to add a picture to my post 8.gif

macmanron

So, give us some details, how'd you do it??

gasmini

I was so happy to get it into reverse I forgot to let anyone know how it was done.
Removed the shifter rod and rotated it 180 degrees and sat in the seat but then it ended up under my leg when in gear. Then it was moved to where it is pointing straight forward and a line was marked on the part that has a groove in it. Removed it and ground another groove in it so it would be away from the seat and my leg. Now the only thing I have to get used to is a longer reach to shift.