Surface Rust

Started by Righteous, May 06, 2020, 09:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Righteous

Hello,

I am currently refreshing some of the mechanical and interior components of my 1965 Cooper S. The body was sandblasted and painted ~25 years ago although the coverage was questionable in some spots. There are several areas that have some surface rust including the lower body seams, interior crossmember, companion boxes, and front bumper mount seam. What's the best way to treat these areas? Rust dissolvers? Rust encapsulators? Cavity wax for the companion boxes/sills? Any advice greatly appreciated.

MiniDave

As our resident paint expert I'll wait for Dan to weigh in, but other than that front seam it doesn't look bad to me.....

What are you at with the motor?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Righteous

Quote from: MiniDave on May 06, 2020, 09:52:57 AM
As our resident paint expert I'll wait for Dan to weigh in, but other than that front seam it doesn't look bad to me.....

What are you at with the motor?

It definitely could be worse, but the sight of it just bothers me. I am worried that installing the tight fitting chrome trim on the bottom seam will really hold in moisture and propagate the rust.

With regards to the motor, I'm still torn between building a sensible spec with the original block or a higher revving short stroke with my A+ block. So many options!

jedduh01

stinks but that seam rust is a character of the mini.. Two panels stuck together with no' treatment: like paint" they're gonna rust..  Good thing they stopped building cars like that! (mostly)

I would consider a rust converter  in to the seam areas == this will soak in and dry and 'kill the rust'

Por 15 Metal prep has been my go to for rust' stopper' there are others.

After that treatment a good clear coat would help remove the oxygen from the metal and prevent more from surfacing again.

Dan may be also able to proivde good advise too = Needless to say its in there' just about keepng it dry and concealed.

94touring

I must have been busy back in May and missed this.  Doesn't look bad at all. Any kind of rust converter/phosphoric acid and something to seal it off like more paint and clear will do the trick.