998 Auto Rebuild

Started by MiniDave, May 05, 2020, 10:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I've been puzzling how to clean up this very nasty gearbox - even tho I have new fluid in the parts washer, it gets dirty pretty quickly, and I didn't want to wash any grit into the transmission - I didn't want to wind up taking it any further apart. There are some seals and o-rings in there that don't come with any of the MiniSpares gasket sets so I didn't want to have to go searching the world for them....especially if it turns out they're NLA. Plus disassembly and re-assembly require some special tools I don't have and would have to make - all of which is unnecessary since we're not going to change the final drive. With an automatic, cleanliness is paramount.

So, after kicking it around a while I came up with a plan - I put the trans in the tank up on a couple of blocks of wood and set it up so most of the liquid run off didn't go inside. I then spent about three to four hours scrubbing the thing down with small wire brushes, scotch pads and small screwdrivers to get into the cracks and crevices.

Then once it was done I took it back out of the parts washer and cleaned the tank thoroughly, even to the point of wiping it out with clean shop towels to make sure I got all the grit out. Once that was done I put it back in the tank, sitting up on the studs on one end. I then poured out about half a gallon of clean solvent that I got from TSC into a bucket and using a basting squirter I rinsed it all down inside and out till everything looked as clean as possible.

It was a ton of work, but I think it came good in the end. Now I can go ahead and put it back together while I wait for the engine machine work to be done. The head work is going to be held up a while as NO one had valve guides except Somerford - I also wanted to put the good forged 1.13 rockers in it and they also were the only ones who had any. So, I managed to get an order for about $150 worth of parts and shipping together in the end.

Before and after pics......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

As good as it's gonna get. Should be after all you did to it.  4.gif

MiniDave

As long as it works, he said it shifted perfectly before.....

I've run into an interesting snag. In order to put the front drum back in I have to align all the clutch discs inside it as it slides over the inner gear - they tend to move around a bit - should be interesting. I think I found where everything I took out goes back, but the how of it should be fun!  ::)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Make sure the drum is all the way down its easy to hang it up on the last disc and think you have it. Lining them up first is not much help you just have to sort of walk it around at a slight angle until each one drops in.  More pressure on one side as you turn.  If that makes any sense.

MiniDave

Yeah, so far no joy on this, I can tell the inner most disc is not on the gear, I bet I've had it in and out of there 100 time so far.....frustrating.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Spent some time today cleaning, sorting and organizing the hardware and parts for the build. I still have the rockers to do, but the new ones haven't come in yet from Somerford, along with the guides - so nothing will happen on the head till they do.

The block is back at the machine shop, the bores are done and now they'll pop the cam bearings, oil bore plugs and core plugs out and deck the top just enough to clean it up nicely, then boil it out and pop the new cam bearings in, then I can go get it. I don't expect it done for another two weeks yet.

All the parts were supposed to be done at the powdercoaters today, but no call from them either so I guess it will be another week from them too.

I have the new aluminum radiator on the way also, there used to be about 20 of those for sale on Ebay at any given time for $50-60, but I only found one - at $74 - which is still a good buy, but I wonder where all the sellers went?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Quote from: MiniDave on May 29, 2020, 06:47:25 PM
I have the new aluminum radiator on the way also, there used to be about 20 of those for sale on Ebay at any given time for $50-60, but I only found one - at $74 - which is still a good buy, but I wonder where all the sellers went?

Since most of those were coming from China, ...

MiniDave

Yes, but imports from China have not been restricted, only the people......and all of China was not shut down, just the area around Wuhan.....unless all the aluminum radiators and sellers were from Wuhan I don't see the connection.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

It could be the "broad brush" backlash type scenario.  With the general "blame China" and subsequent reactions ("don't buy anything from China if possible"), many of the sellers may have just dropped off rather than continuing to pay listing fees for little to no sales.

Just making a guess.  It could also be as simple as demand dropped off, so sellers dropped listings and have nothing to do with where they were coming from.

94touring

I am torn on buying Chinese radiators in the future.  It's one of the rare things they actually got right.  I bet I can have someone local clone them though.

MPlayle

They are more expensive, but Mini Spares and Mini Sport both carry a few aluminum radiators.

MiniDave

Is the Fletcher made in England? Or made in China and sold in England?

Seems like it should be easy enough to get one cloned locally, but at what cost? My local rad shop is expensive.....and they are just about the only game left in town. Used to be scores of rad shops, now I know of one.....

Just like machine shops - there used to be half a dozen crankshaft shops in town, now there's one, and it's 45 min north of town.

Getting a block bored is difficult at best, I now know of 2 places - one is in a guy's garage.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I REALLY like the MED one, but it's spendy and currently out of stock. I like a lot of their stuff, Thanks Dan for having the catalog at the BBQ.  :D
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

tsumini

Should be enough airplanes laying around to melt down into radiators?

MiniDave

Local automotive paint store is making up a couple of cans of paint for this engine - he wanted 'Resida Green" instead of Morris Green. So, 2 cans of spray color plus 2 cans of spray epoxy primer - $123!

Dan's been telling us how expensive paint and supplies have been getting......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I pay upwards of $200 a quart depending on the color.  It would be a bargain at $123.  Depending on the paint job it's 3 quarts to a gallon.  Then primers and clear coats.  Adds up quickly.

MiniDave

This is interesting stuff, it is 2 pack paint in a spray can. How do they do that you ask?

There is a red cap on top of the can, you take that off, turn the can over and put it on the stem there, then push down hard - you've then released the hardener into the paint - you shake it up good and start spraying - cause eventually it will harden off.

I've never used this stuff before, so I will need to get everything I'm going to paint taped off and ready - there is no stopping once you start using this stuff and I don't know how much time you have from the time you add the hardener till it no longer will shoot.....

Dan might have an idea.....

I'll call the paint store and ask them too.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'm surprised the can doesn't say. 

MiniDave

Actually, it does! Pot life is 8 hours from activation.....tiny print on the side of the can!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on June 09, 2020, 09:25:31 AM
Actually, it does! Pot life is 8 hours from activation.....tiny print on the side of the can!

Tiny print because, you know, everybody already knows that!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

I was thinking how to get everything set up for this, I think I'll have a lot of tape work to do to keep the paint out of where it doesn't belong, and to get up into all the nooks and crannies and make sure I get a nice even coat on.

Any tips Dan? Wanna come up and shoot an engine and gearbox?

How long after I shoot the epoxy primer do I need to wait before I shoot the color? Hours? Days? weeks?

I also wonder how long before it's hard enough to handle the parts so I can take them back inside. I would like to shoot this stuff in the garage but I would have to build a mini-spray booth and buy a respirator....as it is I'll be lucky if I can find a good mask - so I'm afraid it will have to be done in the back yard. If I wait till late enough in the day I'll have shade, but I hear early in the AM is better as there's little or no wind. Dunno.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

30 minutes to an hour from epoxy to paint.  Can probably gives a flash time, but you want it to chemically adhere to each other.  If the epoxy is fully cured the chances of the paint peeling off increases substantially.

MiniDave

So, but the time I finish painting enough parts in primer, I'll be heading back to the first thing to start coating the color?

How many coats of primer? Just enough to get good coverage and no more? Multiple thin coats or one good thorough coat? Anything different I need to do to the aluminum to get it to stick, other than clean and grease/oil free?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

If the epoxy does get fully cured, can't you just use a scotch pad on it to give it some tooth, then shoot color or are you dead in the water? does the primer dry/cure faster than the color?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Nope, just degrease and spray.  I assume the aluminum isn't a mirror finish. I'd guess 2 light to medium coats, then color.  If you had to wait a day then green scotch brite will do the trick.