Author Topic: 998 Auto Rebuild  (Read 542 times)

Offline MiniDave

Re: 998 Auto Rebuild
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2020, 01:28:24 PM »
I've been puzzling how to clean up this very nasty gearbox - even tho I have new fluid in the parts washer, it gets dirty pretty quickly, and I didn't want to wash any grit into the transmission - I didn't want to wind up taking it any further apart. There are some seals and o-rings in there that don't come with any of the MiniSpares gasket sets so I didn't want to have to go searching the world for them....especially if it turns out they're NLA. Plus disassembly and re-assembly require some special tools I don't have and would have to make - all of which is unnecessary since we're not going to change the final drive. With an automatic, cleanliness is paramount.

So, after kicking it around a while I came up with a plan - I put the trans in the tank up on a couple of blocks of wood and set it up so most of the liquid run off didn't go inside. I then spent about three to four hours scrubbing the thing down with small wire brushes, scotch pads and small screwdrivers to get into the cracks and crevices.

Then once it was done I took it back out of the parts washer and cleaned the tank thoroughly, even to the point of wiping it out with clean shop towels to make sure I got all the grit out. Once that was done I put it back in the tank, sitting up on the studs on one end. I then poured out about half a gallon of clean solvent that I got from TSC into a bucket and using a basting squirter I rinsed it all down inside and out till everything looked as clean as possible.

It was a ton of work, but I think it came good in the end. Now I can go ahead and put it back together while I wait for the engine machine work to be done. The head work is going to be held up a while as NO one had valve guides except Somerford - I also wanted to put the good forged 1.13 rockers in it and they also were the only ones who had any. So, I managed to get an order for about $150 worth of parts and shipping together in the end.

Before and after pics......
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline Willie_B

• CREW
  • 1275cc
  • He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
    • Lilburn, GA,
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2020, 03:15:36 PM »
As good as it's gonna get. Should be after all you did to it.  4.gif

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2020, 05:44:57 PM »
As long as it works, he said it shifted perfectly before.....

I've run into an interesting snag. In order to put the front drum back in I have to align all the clutch discs inside it as it slides over the inner gear - they tend to move around a bit - should be interesting. I think I found where everything I took out goes back, but the how of it should be fun!  ::)
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline jeff10049

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2020, 12:57:27 AM »
Make sure the drum is all the way down its easy to hang it up on the last disc and think you have it. Lining them up first is not much help you just have to sort of walk it around at a slight angle until each one drops in.  More pressure on one side as you turn.  If that makes any sense.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2020, 09:58:16 AM »
Yeah, so far no joy on this, I can tell the inner most disc is not on the gear, I bet I've had it in and out of there 100 time so far.....frustrating.
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT