998 Auto Rebuild

Started by MiniDave, May 05, 2020, 10:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Well, the starter and flywheel can be on, and I'll use them to pump up pressure next.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

mascher

It may be too late but you can put oil in through the mechanical fuel pump opening.
Kelley

MiniDave

Good point! I just went ahead and took the red lift part off......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

It's. A. Live!!!!!!

Just a few seconds runtime as it's blistering hot outside and I don't want to have the door open any longer than necessary - plus I don't have any coolant in it yet - but it runs!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Ready to be shipped out?

MiniDave

Not quite, need to run in the cam, then let it cool overnight and retorque the head and readjust the valves, double check the timing and carb adjustments, then load it in the box and bolt it down. THEN it's ready to ship out.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

What's the next project?

MiniDave

Finish the Inno and sell it....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on July 18, 2020, 06:56:07 PM
Finish the Inno and sell it....

That will certainly free up shop space!

MiniDave

2nd test run of the 998 automatic. I changed out the carb needle and now it sounds much better. I can't find the adapter that lets me use my mechanical temp gauge so I just screwed in the sender for now, I was going to use my infrared thermometer to keep an eye on the temp but the batteries were dead so I only ran it for about 5 minutes. In the meantime I fixed my temp gun so I can run it longer now. Still some more minor tuning on the carb to do but it's coming around.....since I drained the torque converter, it's taken 8 qts of oil to top it off -I may need another 1/2 qt yet to get it full!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

After re-torqueing the head, resetting the valves, double triple checking the timing and adjusting the carb as best I could, I pulled the 998 auto out of the engine stand and loaded it into the shipping crate on the pallet I made for it out of the one my compressor came on. I cut some 1X8 boards into L shapes and screwed them to the corners of the pallet so the box couldn't shift around on the pallet. I cut up some bits of 2X4 to make blocks so the engine couldn't shift around in the box, then I made some steel brackets out of EMT so that the engine couldn't tumble either, it's as bolted down as I can make it.

I found all the spare bits and boxed them up - new coil and coil wire, exhaust fittings kit, K&N air filter, spare oil filter and quart of oil and the extra heater hose he had asked for, even tho he won't be using the heater on this car as it's strictly a summer car for him.

All I need to do now is gather all the paper work and put it in the box too, then bolt the top on the container and wait for the truck to show up. I'll also put his ratchet straps around the container and pallet so it will be firmly attached......then I'm done.

This has been an interesting project, and it looks like he may be sending more work my way later this year, but before I do anymore of his first I need to get a couple of my own projects finished up!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Get the Inno finished and sold to a lucky new owner.

MiniDave

All boxed up and ready to go, just waiting on the truck to come get it. Of course, for that to happen I have to do a major re-arranging of the garage so it will go out the door! No matter, I need to do that anyway.....

18 - 5/16 bolts with nylocks hold the top to the bottom.

All the papers, invoices, build notes etc are in the box along with the extra parts and spares.

Hope it arrives safely!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Great work!   Cant wait to hear from the owner eventually when its in and running. How much bettter is it with the Mods done vs the ' worn out' unit!

Im sure he will be happy!

MiniDave

With the bigger valves, +60 pistons, stage 1 exhaust and 266 cam - it HAS to be better - I'm just hopeful that it's better enough to make him think it was worth the money he spent on it! That's the only downside with doing them without the car - you don't get to evaluate the improvements/changes yourself.

It may be a few weeks or more before he gets it installed again - no idea of his work schedule for this car - it was six months after he first contacted me before I saw the motor, and I've had it about 3 months or so....a lot of my delay was due to sublet work - I should be able to turn one of these around in less than 2 months, but there are always delays with machine shops and parts shipments.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Should do well with those items.  At least keep up in traffic well enough.

MiniDave

Well, the box made it undamaged to Boston, he'll open it up later this afternoon when he gets back to the shop.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

MiniDave

Left on Thursday, so 4 business days - either that or it traveled over the weekend, but I agree - pretty quick delivery.

Hope it's undamaged when he takes the top off - I did everything I could to make sure it arrived in good shape.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad