Aftermarket Seats and Rails

Started by MtyMous, April 07, 2020, 11:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtyMous

Gentlemen,

My custom seats are here, but I need to figure out a mounting solution. Short of just buying some slim sliders or solid mounts, I figured I'd ask you if you guys have had any luck with some sliders that will mount to universal bucket bolt pattern? They're bottom mount seats, not top mount.

Thanks!

MiniDave

The thinnest ones I've used are from a Miata, they should be easy to find too. I think the ones in all of the small Fords are the same, just based on the pics I've seen.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

These are what I'm using under my Sparco seats:

https://www.sparco-official.com/en/slide-runners.html

https://www.sparco-official.com/en/universal-subframe.html

I've not used the square tubing which comes with the universal subframe, but fashioned braces from some thinner, heavy bar stock in order to keep the seats from sitting too high.
- Pave the Bay -

Miniac

I bought seats and separate rails from corbeau.
Had Miata seats prior. Rails were from minitech in Georgia. The seats were great but did not work will with the harness system I was using. Ended up buying all new corbeau seats and their stocked item rails for mini. If your seats have same bolt locations they might be easy set up.  I think if you measure the bolt locations of your seats and contact corbeau they can probably tell you if they will work. Also confirm the hole locations in the floor as the brackets I got from them were different left to right. My contact there is Tyson. Super nice and Helpful.
to@corbeau.com

Good luck!
1990 Rover Mini black

MiniDave

Those look great - can you slide them back a ways or do they hit the companion bins?

I'm afraid that as I've gotten older I'm over those race inspired seats, climbing in and out over those big side bolsters is a pain, and on longer drives they chafe. I'm more into comfort now.....

But they're great if all you do is track days or spirited canyon carving.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Miniac

I'm 6 feet and they slide back quite a bit. I will check if they hit the map pockets. I know they are close. The corbeau seats are big. They barely fit with the "wings" of the headrest being close and sometimes touching the B-pillars. I suspect a lower headrest type seat would work great with these rails. I will double check the travel of the rails and post in a day or two.
1990 Rover Mini black

John Gervais

My Sparco's are also quite close to the 'B' pillars, and were impossible to slide 'way back' due to companion bin interference.  I gave the bins a few whacks with a hammer which helped (it's not a show car...), but what really helped to restrict rearward sliding and remove any ability to recline the seats was installing the roll cage.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

I installed a set of Subaru STi seats recently and they hit the companion bins too - funny that you mentioned that John cause i was seriously thinking of cutting mine and welding them back "smaller" , as I don't think I'll sell this car. But then I found a set of Miata seats for reasonable money - and I have a guy who will buy the Suby seats from me. Now all I have to do is find a reasonably priced way to get the Miata seats from Detroit to me.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

An option that hadn't occurred to me at the time was to simply remove the outboard 'tilt' handle from each seat.  As I recall, t'was only the handles that fouled the bins.  They're still mounted, but it's only a screw that holds them on...
- Pave the Bay -

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on May 01, 2020, 06:16:33 PM
I installed a set of Subaru STi seats recently and they hit the companion bins too - funny that you mentioned that John cause i was seriously thinking of cutting mine and welding them back "smaller" , as I don't think I'll sell this car. But then I found a set of Miata seats for reasonable money - and I have a guy who will buy the Suby seats from me. Now all I have to do is find a reasonably priced way to get the Miata seats from Detroit to me.

Fastenal or Greyhound may be the cheapest options.

Jimini II

Quote from: John Gervais on May 01, 2020, 06:21:26 PM
An option that hadn't occurred to me at the time was to simply remove the outboard 'tilt' handle from each seat.  As I recall, t'was only the handles that fouled the bins.  They're still mounted, but it's only a screw that holds them on...

Is it possible to switch the driver and passenger seats with each other.

MiniDave

Fastenal has suspended their service for now, Greyhound is still running in some places and may be a possibility - the rate is decent from them if the owner will take them down to the station.

I also have friends traveling about going to races and such, but all that is stopped right now.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Red Riley

Quote from: MiniDave on May 01, 2020, 06:16:33 PMNow all I have to do is find a reasonably priced way to get the Miata seats from Detroit to me.

I used a personal courier to get a bonnet from Minneapolis to Charleston. Only cost me $60. https://www.roadie.com/personal

MiniDave

I decided to go another way - I bought some really nice seats out of a Subaru WRX and the guy with the Miata seats disappeared.

I still have a large floor jack that needs to go to north of Denver - how did you find a courier to carry that bonnet?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Red Riley

Quote from: MiniDave on July 28, 2020, 09:49:32 AM
I decided to go another way - I bought some really nice seats out of a Subaru WRX and the guy with the Miata seats disappeared.

I still have a large floor jack that needs to go to north of Denver - how did you find a courier to carry that bonnet?

https://www.roadie.com/personal

John Gervais

Quote from: Jimini II on May 02, 2020, 11:53:25 AM
Quote from: John Gervais on May 01, 2020, 06:21:26 PM

Is it possible to switch the driver and passenger seats with each other.

As the seats are non-specific it is possible, but there are tilt levers on each side.  I can't tilt them back anyways, the roll cage kinda gets in the way.  It is what it is -
- Pave the Bay -