Woody wagon project

Started by macmanron, March 28, 2010, 08:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macmanron

Well, I found a 1965 Morris Traveler down in Norfolk Va. and had to buy it! It is rough, but I think we can do it over time. Here are some pics:

1966 Austin Cooper S,1965 Morris Mini Minor Traveller, 1965 Triumph TR4A, 1965 Triumph Spitfire(project)

94touring

Oh cool, good luck with the project.  I've never seen a dash like that either. 

macmanron

It was one of the first things taken out! EEEWWWWW  Anyone want it?
1966 Austin Cooper S,1965 Morris Mini Minor Traveller, 1965 Triumph TR4A, 1965 Triumph Spitfire(project)

94touring

Hey your heel board is the same for saloon, pickups, wagons, ect...  Mini sport has floor sections for pickups and wagons with the extended area already there if you're needing that too.  Or you can buy just the extension, one half front to back, the whole section or whatever you need.  Sedan floors don't work. 

macmanron

Cool, I didn't think the rear floors would work, but might use the fronts. I will check out minisport to see what they have. I want to get it cleaned up or blasted to see exactly what the damage looks like!

94touring

Yep fronts work just fine. 

macmanron

GOt the speedo, dash, wiper motor wire harness, glass, seats all out. Noticed the large amount of rush under the window frame corner. I will have to get the front off to see exactly how bad it is under there. Where do you guys like to cut the fenders off at??

94touring

On the wings if you cut along the seamo, maybe two or three inches along it, it can make it easier to pop off with a combination of drilling welds and an air chisel. 

xcc_rider

Yep, gotta say that dash is fugly! I like how the sides are open to the instrument cluster so that any metallic items can roll into the wiring on turns...   dan

macmanron

He He, yea, nothing like having something roll over and short out the entire dash!!!  Well, I did work some tonight on " Woody"  got the pedals out, seatbelt out, door lock. The other day I did manage to get the rear doors off, and now there's not much more to take out/off. The bottom of the doors are kinda bad. Have you guys ever replaced the bottoms with the repair panels sold at mini parts places? The car is of course showing more rust each time I get into it closer! I'm Not SKEERT  !!!!!!  I am wondering since the rear seat is in Very good shape, if anyone has any front seat covers in original red pattern like the rear seat? If not I may just take the rear over to my seat guy and see if he can match them up. I would love to find some originals, to make it match and to make it cheaper on me! I will take the old stuffing out and replace with some new foam etc. Going to make a list of things I will need to get. I am glad that it already has discs on the front, and it looks like the subbys are in ok shape. As soon as I get him stripped down its off to get blasted, then on the rotisseri.  Looks like I will need inside sills, ((came with outers) mauybe an a panel inner /outer,  rear heelboard, maybe just  the sides, and the companion boxes stuff, and maybe the rear piece under the rear doors. I think I may use the shell I picked up in Philly to do the front floors, to make it ready for a remote shift. Oh well, enough boring you guys!

94touring

I'm curious to know how the bottom door panel replacement goes.  I may need to do the same thing eventually. 

macmanron

I took the doors down to pop's (he's not home) and they fit inside his blast cabinet! I just did a little, and I am very sure this car was white. I am going to blasts these to see how they look. Glass bead.

macmanron

I actually got out and worked on "woody" today, and got the subframes out from under it. It has some rough spot it to be sure, but so did my other car. Looks like the rear portion of the floors are good, but may need the two sides where the subframe bolts in. It is going to need front floors, and most of the sheetmetal up front. I have the other shell I picked up in Philly, and I could use the front floor section of that that already is stock set-up for the remote shifter. The subframes look very good, and will just need a good cleaning. That saved me quite a bit of money. I am thinking of having them powder coated though. It has regular drums on the back, and I was wondering if I could just switch out some stock spaced ones instead? I have some on some extra wet subbys I have hanging around. PErfect fit on the trailer, and you gotta love a car you can lift yourself! Gonna go and get it blasted after I get the subbys completely done. Still wrestling with the paint color! OEW or Tweed gray. It will have a red int. though. I am still looking for some good sewn front seats, anyone,,anyone..anyone?  Here is some progress pics:

94touring

Nice, it really doesn't look that bad at all. 

macmanron

I'm gonna get it blasted then put it on the spit. It has a small place in the rear where someone looks like they backed into something, but it should just jack out easily. First things first, subbys then the body.

joltfreak

check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

macmanron

Well, here is some progress I made today, not anything big but "baby" stepping toward the end goal. Bead blasting and powder coating anything I can get in the oven! Got my heater together tonight. I have two extras I will be bringing to the mini51 in Tenn. I am looking for a missing left ear ( I have 2 rights) and need a switch for one of the other heaters. they don't have the ears though. I need to get some made somehow! Oh well, here is a pic of today's work. Oh yea, I bought some blue springs off another mini guy, cheaper than I could buy the rubber doghnuts for!  I just have to figure out if I will keep them blue or not!

94touring

macmanron

Got some more powder coating done last night. Trying to get everything ready for the front and rear subby's. Still need to get them cleaned up.

94touring

Looks great.  So knowing nothing about powder coating, how does one go about doing this themselves?

MEhinger

I have the same parts to prepare and the same question about using powdercoat. I was was going to use BC/CC.

And I am not sure if you have discussed this before, but do you have the wood?

macmanron

Powder coating is easy to do!!! Mainly I go down to Pop's and he bought a simple kit from Eastwood I think. He has a nice bead blast cabinet and I blast all my parts I can fit in there! I actually fit a rear traveller door in the blast cabinet to see if it would fit! It did, but it was hard to blast it! I get them all clean, then take them out, blow them off with the Air compressor, then wipe them down with final wash. We use an old kitchen oven, 300-350 Degrees for about 15 minutes. We use the wire racks from the oven and take thin wire and hang the part on the rack. You have a ground strap that MUST attach to the part or the wire that it is hanging from, better to connect right to the part. There is a " transformer" that creates the electric that charges the powder, and it sticks to the part. The " gun" that shoots out the powder is connected to a low pressure pancake style air compressor and it shoots out the powder to the part. After coating you need to discharge the " gun tip" and we touch it to the wire rack, before disconnecting the ground. If you don't you get a nice surprise! Put the rack in the oven and wait the 15 minutes, pull it out and let it cool off. It looks great, lasts for a Long time, and is hard to get wrong. Humidity can affect it.
As for the wood for the wagon, I need that, mine is pretty bad.
I do need a RH side front over-rider drilled for a corner bar to get chromed. It doesn't need to be pretty, but no dents or dings. Let me know if you have an extra.

94touring

Ok so if I understand you correctly, you have a special powder coat gun, which you ground to the part you are spraying.  You spray the part, then stick it in the oven?  I found a gun at harbor freight, but do I need a special oven or can I ask my girlfriend nicely to put my parts in our oven?  Maybe toaster oven? 

macmanron

ooops just saw the question, yes. My dad uses an old oven some guy was selling and it works fine. Large enough to put wheels in. I wouldn't use the oven from your kitchen, it makes quite a smell! Very simple, and works Very well.

94touring

Yeah I did some research and found that buying a used oven is the way to go.