That'll do it

Started by Willie_B, March 23, 2020, 05:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

I have been chasing an oil leak on the left side of the engine for a while. I finally found what I think is it. The pot joint is leaking. There is a metal plug inside the body that is supposed to stop engine oil from getting in. Supposed to is the key. When I pulled the boot back oil poured out. Take it apart and clean well. Smear JBWeld on the inside to seal it. This is not the first time I have seen this issue.  Would be better to take out to do it standing up for a better seal but I didn't want to drain the oil.

John Gervais

I haven't been following along, but which pot joints are those?  Mine have 'balls in a cage' - I don't think I've ever seen anything like those.

Last I'd heard, the bronze bushing inside the diff cover is the source of many leaking pot joints, especially if it hasn't been lapped correctly to clear the output shaft.
- Pave the Bay -

Willie_B

This type. That is the inside of the metal cup.

The oil leaks to the inside of the potjoint.

John Gervais

Aha, now I see - perhaps because everything is so clean, I couldn't recognise it.  I don't know how you guys keep everything so tidy...

I still don't see how the boot can fill up with engine oil, though.  Are the output shafts drilled through?
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Yes, the oil comes right thru the inside of the shaft.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

I never noticed!  Of course, I've always drained the oil before removing the joints, but never really checked the shafts, other than wiping them down and installing new spring-rings.
- Pave the Bay -

Jimini II

Dave is referring to the pot joint shaft itself not the driveshafts.
Inside the pot joint is a plug similar to a freeze plug that stops oil from entering the joint itself.
They do fail occasionally and the usual repair is to weld it or JB weld it like Brad did or of course replace it.

John Gervais

Yeah, I never noticed that the stubby output shafts were drilled through.  I replaced my pot joints many years ago and have had them off several times, but never noticed before.  Learning something new once in a while, éh?
- Pave the Bay -