C-Pillar Liner Installation

Started by Rosebud, March 22, 2020, 06:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosebud

Has anyone fitted a C-pillar liner? It looks to me like I'll have to remove the rear window seal where the liner overlaps. If so, can I just peel back the interior portion of the seal, or do I have to remove both the interior AND exterior portion of the seal in and around where the overlap occurs? Any other tips or tricks?
Rosebud
...the sled, not the flower
https://www.facebook.com/PoserMotorSports

94touring

You'll have to remove the rubber.  Or be a magician to get it in.

John Gervais

Are you going to install the roof liner also?
- Pave the Bay -

Jimini II

Quote from: 94touring on March 22, 2020, 06:10:37 PM

Couldn't you put some rope behind it to lift the seal then install the c pillar material then gently pull the rope out?

94touring

Quote from: Jimini II on March 23, 2020, 11:22:58 AM
Quote from: 94touring on March 22, 2020, 06:10:37 PM

Couldn't you put some rope behind it to lift the seal then install the c pillar material then gently pull the rope out?

;D

94touring

It takes under 30 minutes to pop the glass out and reinstall, likely needing new rubber if it's old and new filet. It will take 30 minutes fiddling with prying rubber, hunched over back there only to give up cussing with a potentially mangled C pillar panel and another 30 minutes to remove the glass to properly install it.

Jimini II

Just a thought with the possibility and expense of the rear window breaking especially if it is a MK I.
Something I would spend 30 minutes on and try it first as there is no hunching required if you remove the other few screws from those opening rear windows and access the c pillar that way.

Rosebud

Thanks everyone for your posts—they were most helpful. Looks like I'll be taking the rear window out as advised. While I was fiddling with the C-pillar liners and after spending an hour looking at my rear window, I noticed how scratched it is, so I'll be replacing the window as well. The rear window was installed at a local auto glass shop with a modern seal. I've removed a standard Mini windscreen seal myself, but I'm a little iffy about popping out this seal, so I think I'll let the glass shop do it. The new C-pillar liners fit nicely around the side windows, but they'll going to need trimming around the rear window.

Rosebud
...the sled, not the flower
https://www.facebook.com/PoserMotorSports