Steering Rack

Started by tmsmini, March 13, 2020, 09:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsmini

Went to get the sport pack aligned after replacing a few things and the shop says the right side rack arm has play in the ball, so does not make sense to align until I get this fixed.

It looks like that part is not available separately. I have a rack I replaced because the pinion wore and had play. Is it possible to swap arms?

MPlayle

Which ball - inner or outer?

The outer ones (at the hub) are replaceable.  The inner ones may not be replaceable on the later steering racks.

Mini Spares does not indicate any repair parts for the inner ball/arm.

tmsmini

It is the inner. I also seem to remember reading abut a bushing that could also cause a similar issue and people resorting to turning their own replacements.
I can't seem to find any threads about that on the usual forums though.

MiniDave

Depends on whether it's the right side or left.....there is a bushing you can replace, but that's to fix the rack moving up and down, not play in the ball joint.

No more money than an new rack is I would just replace it, and unless they're close to new I would replace the tie rod ends too. I use the ones they sell for a Triumph Spitfire, they have more thread length, but they're really only needed on lowered cars. I get mine from Victoria British - their part number is 5-121, $9.95 for the pair.

http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/sg/full.aspx?Page=63
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

Right side LHD car.
I have a repalcement rack that I took out of our tin wagon as it had some wear in the pinion or somewhere I could not figure out.

I need to get the car up so I can peel back the boot to see where the movement is. It was pretty small amount of movement, but it was there.
I just had the engine out of the saloon a few month ago, it would have been so easy to replace the rack then!

Dave, this means I probably wont get your parts sent until tomorrow.

tmsmini

It looks like the bushing/bearing on the after market racks are not interchangeable with Rover racks.

This is the replacement available:
http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/37H8064.aspx?

MiniDave

No worries, none of those are things I'm desperate for - I'll be warehousing them for now anyway.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

I may be getting to be a cranky old man, but I do not feel significant movement here. Some movement is present, but it is the whole hub assembly moving slightly.

I did not feel any at 3-9 with the wheel on which is where the tech said he felt it and nothing at the rack arm with the wheel on or off.
I thought may be the rack is loose, but doesn't seem to be any movement there either.

MiniDave

Any play if you grab the wheel at 3 & 9 and shake?

It doesn't look bad enough to worry about to me either......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I didn't see anything loose.

Jimini II

Quote from: tmsmini on March 13, 2020, 02:29:54 PM
I may be getting to be a cranky old man, but I do not feel significant movement here. Some movement is present, but it is the whole hub assembly moving slightly.

I did not feel any at 3-9 with the wheel on which is where the tech said he felt it and nothing at the rack arm with the wheel on or off.
I thought may be the rack is loose, but doesn't seem to be any movement there either.

That looks like early signs of the bushing wearing out but truly as stated not enough to worry about.
If you put the car on the ground or a jack under the suspension (lower ball joint) to simulate the full weight of the car then get someone to lightly turn the wheel left to right not much you may see what the tech's were referring to.

CooperTune

I'm sure you realize the sport pac rack has a greater turning radius than other MK2 type racks. Also later racks are made different than earlier ones. The early racks have adjustable inner joints. The later ones have a non repairable inner joints. They can be removed and replaced, all you need is a good one off another late rack.

As for the bushing the rack rides in, I machine my own. Racks are cheap but also repairable if you want to take the time. Steve (CTR)

tmsmini

I am not sure what the change dates are for BMC/Rover racks. Certainly one is for the MK II style that requires different steering arms.
How they changed from 1967 to 2000, I dont know.
Also the aftermarket racks have been made by different people at different times. I hear the recent Italian made racks are decent quality.

I understand the Sportpack rack uses some thing to reduce the throw of the rack. I am not sure if it is similar to the KAD limiter:
https://kentautodevelopments.com/collections/suspension/products/kad-steering-rack-limiter-kit

tmsmini

Yes, sort of waiting  for my wife to come home, so I can lay on the ground while she turns the wheel.
Does anyone know if the MiniSpares bushing fits the very late Rover racks?

tmsmini

Got some help this morning. I still don't feel the play.
I was somewhat surprised about the rotation movement, but as you have two things in different planes with ball ends it makes sense.

Jimini II

Quote from: tmsmini on March 14, 2020, 08:56:48 AM
Got some help this morning. I still don't feel the play.
I was somewhat surprised about the rotation movement, but as you have two things in different planes with ball ends it makes sense.

th

I would pull the boot back and look at that rotational movement and where it is loose.
It may be in the inner joint but could be the bushing or the actual rack and pinion itself.
When looking for the wear you don't need to turn the wheel so far you should feel it in 1" or so of steering wheel movement.
Yes that MS bushing should fit.

tmsmini

I will check again, but it has started raining pretty hard. The wife's estates are safely in the garage while the saloon sits in the driveway.

94touring

All the movement on the arm is why if you do an alignment yourself, I turn my wheels full travel each direction, roll the car forward and backwards, then recheck my measurements.  It has to be able to re calibrate for lack of better terms to get an accurate reading.

tmsmini

I peeled the boot/gaiter back and it appears there is slight movement from the bushing as some have suggested. I still did not feel it, but in the last few frames you can see the rack moving in the housing.

MiniDave

I'm not sure it came be much tighter than that!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

There are so few places that do alignments for Minis that I do not want to argue with the people at the shop.
But I should have had a second tech put their hands on it as I just don't feel the movement.
Terry

Jimini II

I see busing movement but tbh after you replace it the new one will have the same amount of movement/play after a few thousand miles.
Realistically it should make little to no difference in the alignment, now if the inner joint was loose that would make a difference.
If you leave it alone the clonking that starts to happen once the wear gets worse will drive you crazy more than the small amount of play.

tmsmini

That is my assessment as well that there really is minimal movement at this time. In bed took at the other old MK I rack I have to see what kind of movement it had.

If anyone was curious here is what a current replacement rack for the sport pack looks like

tmsmini

Pulled out the old racks to clean the up
How do I tell if the oldest is Mk I or MK II?

MiniDave

Any production dates that you can find? I'll bet the guys on the Mk1 forum know....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad