Maint. work before Texas Hill Country gathering

Started by Willie_B, March 11, 2020, 03:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

I don't have any records of when I have done work in the past so time for some feel good maint. work to get ready for a fun outing. Planning on repacking all the wheel bearings, replace all the fuel lines with bio-fuel compatible stuff, check all the brake stuff for leaks ect. and bleed/flush the system, fix a loose cv boot and a pot joint that is leaking. The leaking pot joint I have seen in the past. There is a metal plug inside the part that goes into the trans. It does not seal good so engine oil leaks into it and then leaks out of the boot and makes a mess. Have to pull it apart, clean out the grease in the cup part then seal it with JBWeld. At least the loose cv boot and leaking pot joint are on the same side so only have to take that one side apart. Also going to change the ball joints out for the sealed units from Classic Minis Japan. While doing all that I also got some 12 slot castle nuts for the drive hub to make it a bit easier to get the cotter pin to the next slot.

Willie_B

May also flush the cooling system while I am in there. I will tell my wife I am self isolating in the garage.

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Sealed ball joints?   Meaning no shimming?    Tell us more please.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

$200 a set plus shipping, but as you said, no shimming and probably last for freakin ever!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Sounds very tasty.  So are they the Metro sealed ones I've heard about?  Or special ones made in Japan? 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Willie_B

Special ones made in Japan. Home of the good stuff.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Willie_B

The same place the bulkhead cover came from a few months back. Classic minis Japan on facebook. I will look for their website but more info is on facebook.

http://classicminisjapan.com/?fbclid=IwAR25Hv8PomqqutjB6F4FtU-XsIwIE0Tgf2ZurXK2c5--E8e3PVZD9Qof5ps

I will say this, if you contact them thru their website and you do not hear back text them on facebook. I could never figure out why I was not getting emails from them.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Willie_B

Got the side done with the loose boot cover. Just after I tightened the last nut and sat back I noticed I has not bent down the lock tabs on the ball joint. At least that's easy to do when fully installed.

I really like the new ball joints. Easy to install, you do have to remove the rubber cover to fit the socket on it tighten it. It slips off and on without a problem though.

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

Willie_B

Allows you to keep it from spinning when you tighten it up when mounting in the car.

John Gervais

Ah, as not to twist the boot I suppose.  I need to find out what my financial situation will be and then place an order.
- Pave the Bay -