Speedometer cable

Started by Richard1, March 24, 2010, 04:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard1

The 96 mini cooper I'm looking at does not have the speedometer connected. Is it possible that it no longer reaches since it was converted to left-hand drive?

Willie_B

That should not matter. If the cable is still there but not connected, make sure it is still good before connecting it. It is not an easy task unless you have small hands and arms. Some find it easier to attach the trans end from underneath. May also be a good chance to pull the ineer part out and lube first.

MPlayle

The routing would be different, but the cable should reach.  In fact, if the car was originally RHD, then the cable may be almost too long for LHD.  The speedometer drive on the transmission is actually on the radiator end of the transmission.  Because the car was originally RHD a longer cable was needed to come up from the transmission and cross over to the right side of the dash.  The same cable can be used after converting to LHD, but takes careful routing to avoid putting too sharp a bend in the extra cable length since it has a shorted run to get to the left side of the dash.

As for your question about re-welding the current front subframe that was cut when the LHD conversion was made: REPLACE IT!  They cut both rear arms of the subframe, which is the major support for the engine as well as the suspension.  re-welding it will not properly restore the integrity intended for providing all that support.  It will cost more to replace it, but the safety is more than worth it.  (Consider what may happen in case of an accident ...)

Richard1

Quote from: MPlayle on March 24, 2010, 06:19:23 PM
The routing would be different, but the cable should reach.  In fact, if the car was originally RHD, then the cable may be almost too long for LHD.  The speedometer drive on the transmission is actually on the radiator end of the transmission.  Because the car was originally RHD a longer cable was needed to come up from the transmission and cross over to the right side of the dash.  The same cable can be used after converting to LHD, but takes careful routing to avoid putting too sharp a bend in the extra cable length since it has a shorted run to get to the left side of the dash.

As for your question about re-welding the current front subframe that was cut when the LHD conversion was made: REPLACE IT!  They cut both rear arms of the subframe, which is the major support for the engine as well as the suspension.  re-welding it will not properly restore the integrity intended for providing all that support.  It will cost more to replace it, but the safety is more than worth it.  (Consider what may happen in case of an accident ...)

Thanks.
Any suggestions on how/where to find that subframe? What models are the same?
I'm in Bolivia, but can get things from Tulsa easily.

94touring

I'd replace it too.  Probably won't find any mpi subbies in Tulsa, but check minisport.com or gbcarparts.com.  You may find someone with a used one on minimania too.  I'm also wondering if any later style single bolt subby will work.  I sold one over the summer for 75 bucks.    

Richard1

Quote from: 94touring on March 25, 2010, 07:47:17 AM
http://www.minisport.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eminisport%2ecom%2f&WD=subframe&PN=Mini_Front_Subframes%2ehtml%23aHMP241005#aHMP241005

After Pound to US conversion you're at $500 compared to minimania's $1200.  There ya go.  

Definitely a better price.... Although freight to Bolivia might kill it.
A guy just called me who specializes en bringing containers full of used engines and parts from Japan. I'm going to go see him and see what connections he has over there.

94touring

Last time I bought from minisport I remembered being able to get an online quote for shipping before checkout.  At least you can compare and see.