Changing thermostat on 2013 MINI

Started by gasmini, December 04, 2019, 10:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasmini

Anybody here change a thermostat on a 2013 MINI or at least that generation?
The trouble I'm looking at is the damn clamps that hold the hoses on. Is there a tool that doesn't cost an arm and a leg that I can use for this?

jedduh01

Using Real OEM = your 14' could be either engine .. 2013  was sort of a last year engine . 14 was a new engine year.

R56 Chassis   with N13 engine .

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=SV33-USA-11-2013-R56N-Mini-Cooper_S&diagId=11_4551

Then 2014 - moved to F56 Chassis = with B46 B48 Engine

Springhy round clamps ... 98% ive got it done with channel locks held firmly.

or   the BMW specific with Lock ring built in = they are simple =  Pull out the lock wire=  hose pulls off.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=XM73-USA-05-2014-F56-Mini-Cooper_S&diagId=11_5514

Two totally different setups.

R56 - early engine video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBgM7Uyck18

MiniDave

Yes, there is a tool for the round springy clamps, and you can get it at Home Depot for not much moola

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-24-in-Hose-Clamp-Pliers-OTC4525/305912437

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

If you have the n13 there is a chance you will break the coolant pipe on the back of the engine allow time to order and replace just in case.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-mini-parts/water-pipe/11537589713/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAz53vBRCpARIsAPPsz8UDK0CNZOUP8ZpwH00BxdDPgJnT4N8XhN1iOgb3OD_YyPCA_aRuaL0aAo_BEALw_wcB

(edit) after thinking about it you might just want to replace it anyway at least that's been my experience sometimes after disturbing it leaks at the water pump end. 

MiniDave

Jeez Louise, $75 for that plastic pipe? And I thought Audi parts were stupid expensive......no wonder people get rid of these cars when they start having issues.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gasmini

First off let me say sorry I had the wrong year listed in the title. :-[ Its a 2013 Roadster (R59) and I think it stayed the same engine until the end of production which I think was 2015.
I also have a 2014 Countryman that I keep getting the year mixed up in my head. One of those voices in my head keeps speaking out of turn. 11.gif
I have changed the title of this thread to the right year.

MiniDave

BTW, I have that hose clamp tool, if you think you might be up this way anytime soon, you're welcome to borrow it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Quote from: MiniDave on December 05, 2019, 08:37:54 AM
Jeez Louise, $75 for that plastic pipe? And I thought Audi parts were stupid expensive......no wonder people get rid of these cars when they start having issues.

I posted that purely, for example, Dorman makes the pipe as do many other aftermarket suppliers most parts stores will have it on the shelf in the $20-25 dollar range.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-hamburg-tech-parts/water-pipe/11537589713~ham/?gclid=CjwKCAiA8qLvBRAbEiwAE_ZzPfv1CEevDuO8-o81xxCRcEp5SeGgP9hygnhfQbl__jKh5lSk_CRaBxoCO6YQAvD_BwE

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on December 05, 2019, 08:37:54 AM

The smart people do.   But I still have mine!   :D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I think many of the Gen-1 new MINIs (such as Bruce's) and and Gen-2 Clubman's seem to hold up better.  My 2002 MCS had 111K miles with very few issues when it got totaled - slid into the back of a pickup truck in cold wet weather in Ft. Worth (concrete streets wet after several hours of light mist).  The only warranty issues were the early "thin edged" windshield prone to stress cracks and the coolant overflow/pressure tank seam split.  The rest were high miles wear issues of suspension bushings and such at about 95K miles.

The 2010 Clubman I had for 2 years had only one issue - high pressure fuel pump, replaced under warranty.

The 2016 Clubman I had for a couple years did not instill the same confidence though.

jeff10049

Gen1 cars are extremely reliable, the rest are not bad but have special needs if you want them to hold up long term.

Our 2004 with 222,000 miles 1 set of brakes so far due again soon, alternator, 2 sets of spark plugs. 1 belt also due again, front lower arm suspension bushings, tie rod ends, struts, 1 wheel bearing hub, radiator due to impact with rock, 1 window regulator.
lots of oil changes along with, coolant, brake fluid, transmission services. Given the miles, I consider all of that expected maintenance.

Our 2013 countryman all4 S 97,000 miles. Just did spark plugs, 1 coolant change, lots of oil changes, brake fluid change, several transmission services, front and rear diff service,  thinking I better do the belt soon. zero actual problems so far. Surprisingly the brakes still look great.

Although I am very very tired of all the regular maintenance and cost of it I really want an electric mini if they ever start selling them I guess now they are saying March I am now on a reservation list with mini of portland. If they delay it again screw it I'm buying a tesla.

jeff10049

gasmini

No I haven't yet I ended up taking it to an independent shop that works on MINIs and they reset the code. They couldn't see where it was leaking or any fresh coolant but said that it would probably need changing the thermostat and the plastic pipe as mentioned above.
Keeping an eye on the coolant level and any on the floor or motor.