Remote Shift problems

Started by Coalhod, January 16, 2020, 07:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coalhod

Hello;
This is not something I just noticed probably a good winter project but anyway a fair amount of play at the shifter while in any gear. I have not yet taken the guts apart so I'm assuming it's wear at the bellcrank and associated bits in the linkage.  Unfortunately most if not all of these parts are no longer available.

My thought is to weld and build up these surfaces until very little play is evident in the linkage.

The other option is to switch to rod change but that will be costly.

Apologies if this has already been discussed, I looked but did not find anything related to this particular subject.

Andrew

gr8kornholio

Inspect the gear shift lever end first inside the car.  There is a plastic cup in there and some other bits that can wear or come loose.  Mine was a little sloppy when I got it and buzzed horribly at certain rpms.  For the price I just replaced it with a short shift kit, believe it was KAD.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

LarryLebel

There's a ball joint where the linkage goes into the transmission that wears out. Also the bushing where the linkage goes into the transmission also wear out. The grease nipple on the bushing is not very accessible so it does not get lubed.

Coalhod

Hey thanks!

I actually did try a KAD remote and it felt like it had less play than the stock setup;  only trouble was while "at speed" at the 2-3 upshift I had trouble finding 3rd which I have since read has to do with the way the connection is at the top outside of the gearbox-I checked and it seemed ok to me.  I went back to stock and now have a fair amount of play and while I have not had the opportunity it also feels like I may have trouble finding 3rd so that goes back to checking the top linkage alignment.

Probably the best thing to do is pull the motor, check and re-check the linkage for wear and alignment.  This car has had at least 2-3 previous owners so who knows.