Next Mini has finally arrived.

Started by MPlayle, January 04, 2020, 09:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Can you even buy a windshield like that anymore?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I don't think so.  I checked Mini Spare, Mini Sport, and Seven Enterprises for availability of windshields and they all only carry the laminated variety now.

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on July 24, 2020, 02:58:43 PM

Geez, laminated windshields for Minis are dirt cheap relatively speaking (well under $100 last time I bought one).   If there are still some toughened ones still available out there a person would have to crazy to try to save a few bucks buying one.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on July 24, 2020, 03:33:01 PM

Geez, laminated windshields for Minis are dirt cheap relatively speaking (well under $100 last time I bought one).   If there are still some toughened ones still available out there a person would have to crazy to try to save a few bucks buying one.

Unless you buy domestic, then it's a small fortune.  I think you can buy 5 for the price of 1 if you order from spares.

BruceK

Right.  There is almost no compelling reason to ever buy any Mini parts domestically. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

That's nuts.  Raises the question of how do you tell?  I'd assume some markings somewhere.  Curious as I have no idea if my 65 glass is original or not. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MPlayle

Quote from: gr8kornholio on July 24, 2020, 04:16:11 PM
That's nuts.  Raises the question of how do you tell?  I'd assume some markings somewhere.  Curious as I have no idea if my 65 glass is original or not. 

There should be a "logo" marker usually in one of the corners that will give details about the glass such as this one from mine:

BruceK

So that clearly says "toughened".  And here's the "laminated" marking on my Mini's windshield.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Also, I believe any windshield marked with DOT is a laminated one.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Scary!!!
A friend with a Vtec Riley Elf has had his windshield shatter twice on Mini runs, I thought maybe his car was flexing with the extra power or He is just unlucky.

MPlayle

I do not know how to decode the markings to determine the date code of the glass, but I have a suspicion that it was the original windshield.

As such, it would be 29 years old.  I suspect with age it got enough blemishes in the surface that direct sun and 102*F temps did it in.

MiniDave

You'll be amazed how much better you can see with the new windshield! After 29 years those pits really add up and it's always much worse than you realize.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on July 25, 2020, 08:18:12 AM

As such, it would be 29 years old.  I suspect with age it got enough blemishes in the surface that direct sun and 102*F temps did it in.

I think it was a small stone that hit it.  The kind of strike that makes a little pop noise (and might cause a small chip) with a laminated windshield.   Deadly to a toughened one.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Bruce,

I don't think it was a small rock as even with a toughened windshield the initial rock strike would have the sharp, high pitched, smack sound.  This was a low pitched, "woomph" kind of sound as the glass pressure fractured (sort of similar to the sound if you slapped a pillow).

Red Riley

Quote from: MPlayle on July 24, 2020, 12:43:54 PM
Here is a picture:

Wow! That looks familiar! Mine was a loud CRACK! at about 60mph on the interstate at lunch time. Followed by simultaneous and complete blindness in the forward direction. All while surrounded by big-assed trucks and oblivious lunch time commuters. It was very exciting.   :-\

FYI, Moss Motors in Virginia has windscreens for super cheap. Mine was 150 bucks with a new locking strip including shipping.

MPlayle

Well I had been seeing how it would pan out by trying to go through my insurance.  That process did not go well.  No fault of my insurance (USAA). 

They have a contract that uses SafeLite Auto Glass whenever possible.  It seems SafeLite cannot even order the windshields for older Minis since it doesn't come through a MINI dealership.  The dealership gives them the part number for a new MINI windshield instead.

It only took SafeLite 12 days to come to that conclusion and even then, I had to be the one to call them to find out as they have been poor about giving status updates.

Time to decide where to order at least 1 from and get it on the way for doing the whole effort by myself.

Any installation tips once the replacement arrives?

94touring

Well, take your time, use some form of lube, put towels on the scuttle in case you slip, buy a good filet tool.  Work the rubber carefully with a flat head screw driver when getting the glass in.

Red Riley

Quote from: 94touring on July 24, 2020, 03:35:30 PM
Quote from: BruceK on July 24, 2020, 03:33:01 PM

Unless you buy domestic, then it's a small fortune.  I think you can buy 5 for the price of 1 if you order from spares.

https://mossmotors.com/windscreen-laminated?assoc=58182

I don't think you could get 5 for that price anywhere. They also have the top tinted and fully tinted options.

Red Riley

Don't use a flathead screwdriver to install a windshield, ever. Get yourself a set of plastic panel/trim tools. And buy a windshield locking strip tool. There are a couple of different kinds. I haven't used the one with a diamond shaped loop. I have the other kind. It takes some practice and you have to be very patient and take your time. There are a few videos of how to do it (and a few of how NOT to do it) on YouTube.

Make sure you buy a new seal and a new locking strip. I used the newer style wider seal on mine the last time and I really like the little bit of extra width.

94touring

At least moss got their prices in order vs mania that's 300 bucks to have it shipped.

Guess I'm the only one not busting glass with flat head screw drivers  ::)

Red Riley

Quote from: 94touring on August 05, 2020, 12:41:22 PM
At least moss got their prices in order vs mania that's 300 bucks to have it shipped.

Guess I'm the only one not busting glass with flat head screw drivers  ::)

Mine was 150 bucks shipped from Virginia, including the seal and locking strip. The only thing that slightly bugged me was that they use an adhesive plastic sheet on the whole windshield, and the adhesive was a bit of a pain in the butt to get off of the glass. But it wasn't broken when it came, so I guess it worked.

94touring

I know they're $45 from spares prior to a shipping quote.  The 2nd windshield doesn't effect shipping cost much.  I have enough cars coming through that having spare glass is handy.

MPlayle

I ordered two from Mini Spares.  We will see what the shipping quote comes out to be.

The seal and locking strip on my windshield are is very good condition.  I plan to reuse them.  I already have a good tool for the locking strip.  I bought it for putting the side windows of the Mini Marcos back in.  I used popsicle sticks when I did those.  I will get some more of those or a couple plastic tools for getting the windshield into the seal.

94touring

If the existing rubber isn't soft enough you may be in for a struggle would be my only concern. 

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on August 05, 2020, 01:06:32 PM

The seal and locking strip on my windshield are is very good condition.  I plan to reuse them.

I believe this is, as the British say,  a false economy. 

Why not spend a little extra and get the nice wider new seal that, by virtue of being brand new, is guaranteed to be very pliable?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S