Mini compatible Parts

Started by mini_fly, March 25, 2009, 05:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

I think I figured it out.  An early (1973) MG Midget is listed by Autozone as using a Duralast 7009 (9 lb) cap.  I know our Minis tend to use a 13 lb version, so searched the Autozone website and the Duralast 7013 is the corresponding part number.

I got one of the 7013 ones to use.

The 1996 Almond Green Mini is about sorted, so I have started the sorting of the 1983 Blue Mini Van and it is the one needing a new cap and a good system flush.

Jimini II

I find the hardest thing to find when buying a radiator cap for a Mini is finding one that is deep enough, most I see are for a more shallow neck and do not seal correctly.
I have found a 13lb one made by Stant that has the red pressure relief tab which is handy.

MPlayle

I will report tomorrow if the one I got actually fits.

MPlayle

The Duralast 7013 radiator cap fits perfectly.

The Duralast pressure release lever kind like Malcolm prefers is PN 7713.  These seem to be readily available at local Autozone stores - give us another option.

MiniDave

However, if you're running one of the inexpensive chinesium radiators from ebay, the cap is a Honda Civic cap
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Here is something for the late model Japanese spec SPI based Minis with a/c.

I needed to replace the a/c-fan belts in my 1996 Mini-Cooper 35.  I ordered a set from Classic Minis Japan.  When they came i today, I took them to my nearby Autozone to determine possible "local" equivalent belts.

The two I found are alomost the same size (within 1/2") as the ones I ordered:
Duralast V-belt 15235 (compressor to alternator) and 15355 (crank, compressor, water pump/fan).  They most likely have to be ordered (not usually an in-store stocked item), but are available.  The Duralast part numbers should be able to be cross referenced at any other local parts store as well.

MPlayle

Bruce mentioned someone needing references to replacement LED tail light bulbs and LED compatible flasher units to go with them and asked what I used on my most recent Minis.

I got the bulbs from Amazon.  Here are links to the ones I purchased.

Amber Turn Signal:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KPJ3XWY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Red Tail Light:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083345PBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

For the flasher units, I got them from my local Autozone.  There are two types to consider based on what you are replacing. 

The blue 1983 Van uses a round, two terminal unit:
https://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/turn-signal-hazard-warning-flasher/p/novita-turn-signal-hazard-warning-flasher-el12/849385_0_7281?searchText=EL12

The green 1996 uses a square, three terminal unit:
https://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/turn-signal-hazard-warning-flasher/p/novita-turn-signal-hazard-warning-flasher-ep36/849391_642349_11714?searchText=EP36

If your car has halogeon H4 headlight bulbs and you want to upgrade to LEDs, these are a recommended direct replacement:
https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/pair-of-compact-h4-p43t-472-hi-lo-beam-led-upgrade-bulbs
These headlight bulbs are compact and have no bulky heatsink, so fit nicely into our small, shallow headlight buckets.  Even Headlight Revolution sells them (at a higher cost).

BruceK

Thanks a bunch Michael!  I love the LED taillight bulbs I've used for my Mini, but they seem to be discontinued by Amazon and any place else. I was really impressed by how bright your taillights were and turn signals were as I followed you up to Austin in the dark this past weekend for the COTA C&C car show. Massive improvement over the old incandescent bulbs. 

For anyone who is considering updating to LED tail light and turn signal bulbs: you cannot use white LEDs as they have a different wave length of light and they are so bright they will effectively bleed out the color coming through the lens (e.g. White LEDs cause taillights to appear pink rather than red). So you MUST use red LEDs for taillights brake lights, and amber LEDs for the turn signals. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Yep they must be red.  Coincidentally I just upgraded the bus lights to LED and might press the buy button for the mini as well.  Guess which side has the LED's in my comparison video screen shot...

Not sure about how the mini will react but one thing I noticed when I was taking the video to compare and verify they worked was the LED side came on quicker.  Maybe a half a second or so but more of an ON NOW instead of a slowly turning red.

MPlayle

It does not really matter what kind of car.  When going from incandescent to LEDs, the LEDs will respond faster as the incandescent filament has to heat to glowing and that takes a little time versus the response of the LED.

BruceK

The nice part of using LED bulbs with all the little LEDs positioned in all directions is that they really seem to fill out the lens housing with even light.  (like on Dan's VW above and my Mini below).  The appearance is better in person than in photos.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Did you guys do the front t/s as well as the rear?

Will those LED bulbs fit in the beehive lenses on the front of a Mk1?  8.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Yes, I installed LEDs in my Mini's front turn signals as well. Of course I've got the larger, post-1983 lenses.  But the LED bulbs that Michael listed above are the exact same size as the regular single filament 1156 turn signals (for UK market cars that have parking lights inside the headlights themselves) or the dual filament 1157 bulbs (for North American market combo parking lights/turn signal).  So they will definitely fit the classic Mini smaller beehive lenses (1959-1983).
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Cool, Don and I were talking about these for his Pup's lights   77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on July 28, 2022, 09:57:10 PM
Cool, Don and I were talking about these for his Pup's lights   77.gif

Yeah he told me he sourced a brand new pair of the very rare rear taillights for his pickup.   LEDs should compliment them very well.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

I did just my tail lights.

The flasher units I referenced (from Autozone) are meant for a combination of LEDs and incandescent bulbs.  I tried replacing the front turn signal bulbs with LEDs as well and found those flashers were not happy - they needed the extra resistance of the fronts being incandescent bulbs.

There are other flashers available for using with all LEDs.

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on July 29, 2022, 07:59:56 AM
I did just my tail lights.

The flasher units I referenced (from Autozone) are meant for a combination of LEDs and incandescent bulbs.  I tried replacing the front turn signal bulbs with LEDs as well and found those flashers were not happy - they needed the extra resistance of the fronts being incandescent bulbs.

There are other flashers available for using with all LEDs.

I think for 1984+ Minis the incandescent side repeater bulbs in the front fenders provide that additional resistance needed for the electronic flashers, so it's no problem going LED front and rear as long as you leave the incandescents in the side repeaters.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Here's something I just got tipped to, Toyota sells high quality 7" H4 headlight sets - bulbs, wiring, relays etc for between $18-24 a set!

Toyota parts number is #81110 60P70

They are made for old Land Cruisers but that's an amazing deal. I ordered 2 sets, the dealer didn't believe the number and price were correct, but the local KC warehouse had 8 in stock, so they ordered them for me, should be here Monday. I'll update with pics when I get them.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Tim

Quote from: MiniDave on March 15, 2024, 08:01:22 AMHere's something I just got tipped to, Toyota sells high quality 7" H4 headlight sets - bulbs, wiring, relays etc for between $18-24 a set!

Toyota parts number is #81110 60P70

They are made for old Land Cruisers but that's an amazing deal. I ordered 2 sets, the dealer didn't believe the number and price were correct, but the local KC warehouse had 8 in stock, so they ordered them for me, should be here Monday. I'll update with pics when I get them.
I have those same lights in my Moke.  They have a flatter face than the originals, but I am very pleased with the light output.  Great price too!

Tim.

MiniDave

Last set I bought were Hellas and I think they cost about $150 with bulbs!

I plan to follow Bruce's lead and install LED bulbs in mine. I really don't drive much at night, but it will be nice to know I can see if I need to do some after dark driving.....

My understanding is the Hellas and Cibies are now plastic lenses , where these are well made and have glass lenses. Plus too and also, come with a wiring harness and relays.

For $18-24 a SET, plus tax!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I picked mine up at the dealer today - typical well made Toyota stuff and I think it's a hell of a deal for $24 all in - I don't know why they're more money some places than others but still a good deal!

Interesting that mine came in Lexus boxes, along with a note that said they were sending these in place of sealed beams - maybe that's why they're so cheap? Replacements for $12 each sealed beams?

Here's what they look like......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Follow up on the Toyota lights......Don picked up a set for his GT6 and installed them along with some inexpensive LED bulbs ($40 on Amazon).....the important thing on bulbs is to find some that are made just like the H4 halogens in terms of where the elements are so that the beam pattern works correctly and doesn't blind oncoming drivers.

Here are some pics from Don's GT6 showing the LED on the left and H4 on the right light. He said on high beam the LEDs are so bright they were affecting the I-Phone's ability to compensate so the pic is just kind of a bright blob on high beams, but it's still representative of how they look. He put an LED in the other one and went for a drive last night and said they were fantastic - so much better than the H4's, let alone the old sealed beams that were in the car. He needs to find some country roads to test out the high beams, but the lows were a success for sure.

There are two types of LEDs that work - the $40 ones from Amazon have a tiny fan inside rather than a giant heat sink as most of them do, and some way more expensive ones that don't have the fan. We decided to try the cheap ones first just to see how they work, we can get enough for 4 cars for the price of one set of the expensive ones. There is a middle priced spread available from England of the non-fan bulbs, $65/pr but they want $50 shipping.

First pic is high beams, 2nd pic is low beams

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

If you were going to put these in something that doesn't have small headlight buckets - like a Toyota truck I imagine - that has an open back side for the lights, then using the Toyota supplied wiring harness and relay setup is very plug and play - as in you plug the new harness into the back of the bulb, then into the original harness. Mount the relays and fuses on the fender and hook up to power and ground - done.

However, if you're going to use LED bulbs, then you don't need the harness and relay setup as the power requirements are so much lower.

They do stick out a bit more than the Hella, and are flatter.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad