Mini compatible Parts

Started by mini_fly, March 25, 2009, 05:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimini II

MG Midget rear brakes fit a Mini rear brake back plate. There are two sizes the smaller ones are the ones that work i have not looked into the wheel cylinders though.
A Dodge Dakota by pass hose will work for a 1275 top radiator hose.

Red Riley

I've got it from a reputable source that a D16Z6 VTEC Honda motor will fit into a Riley Elf.  71.gif 77.gif

BruceK

Quote from: Red Riley on August 24, 2020, 11:15:25 AM
I've got it from a reputable source that a D16Z6 VTEC Honda motor will fit into a Riley Elf.  71.gif 77.gif

:D

But the trick is to remove the A-series first! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Good info on oil filter quality.  Unfortunately I just bought a fram filter.  Looks like I'll switch over to wix or Napa gold.

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on March 25, 2021, 05:53:50 AM
Good info on oil filter quality.  Unfortunately I just bought a fram filter.  Looks like I'll switch over to wix or Napa gold.

This is the NAPA (Wix) one I use in my Mini.  It's nice and tall for extra filter material and slightly more oil capacity.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I just went on the ebay and got a box of 12 wix 51374 at $6.60 each.  My tundra uses the same filters too so they'll get used up between that and the minis.

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on March 25, 2021, 09:43:41 AM
I just went on the ebay and got a box of 12 wix 51374 at $6.60 each.  My tundra uses the same filters too so they'll get used up between that and the minis.

Always nice when one filter fits multiple cars in your garage!  My wife's Infiniti (gone now) and my Triumph bike both used the same oil filter.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Willie_B

Used my last new set of NGK BP6ES/733 the other day. It seems that NGK has discontinued this plug. Buy em if you can find em till they are gone if you like em. Guess I need to try something else now.

MiniDave

What's special about the 733? I can still get BP6ES plugs....£2.20 ea. on MiniSpares.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'll send you a pack.

Edit. Would appear they are discontinued per NKG.  Here's a chart also explaining what the new replacement BPR6ES plug may be. 

94touring

And also worth noting some info I dug up on another mini forum.  Interesting enough my mini will scramble the neighbors TV.  More pondering I'm wondering if my aldon amethyst issues of random ignition breakup weren't related to the electronic dizzy but rather the plugs  8.gif

"If you have resistor spark plug wires, use "regular" plugs. If you have solid core (non-resistive) spark plug wires, use resistor plugs.
Do not use resistor plugs with resistor wires as this may reduce the spark energy. Do not use regular plugs with solid core wires if you like listening to the radio and respect your neighbors."

MiniDave

I'll buy a few sets from you if you can spare them..............

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'm sure I can spare a few.  I don't even run heat range 6 anymore and certainly won't once the turbo goes on.

Willie_B

Quote from: 94touring on March 27, 2021, 04:43:42 PM
I'll send you a pack.

If you a set or two extra I would be willing to buy them from you.

Thanks

94touring

I was doing some more research and found you can take the resistor out of resistor plugs and put in a piece of solid copper wire and convert it to non resistor.  I'll try to find time to try this experiment in my shop when I'm home next month.  Might be an easy enough work around once these NKG's dry up and can't be found. 

94touring

Well on NGK and Bosch plugs I was unsuccessful on taking the resistor out.  Youtube showed autolight plugs being unscrewed and the resistor replaced but on NGK and Bosch it doesn't screw out, but rather bust a shaft off internally. Perhaps the shaft has resistance. Either way it wouldn't go back together without some doubt on how well it would hold up. 

MiniDave

Yeah, so just use the regular plugs then?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on April 13, 2021, 01:56:53 PM
Yeah, so just use the regular plugs then?

As of now unless I can figure out a trick I'm missing.

MPlayle

Resistor plugs and non-resistor wires?

You are already using an extra-high voltage coil that should more than compensate for the reduction due to the resistor plugs.

94touring

Quote from: MPlayle on April 13, 2021, 06:33:02 PM
Resistor plugs and non-resistor wires?

You are already using an extra-high voltage coil that should more than compensate for the reduction due to the resistor plugs.

No, there's some plugs you can remove the resistor to make a non resistor plug.  I was hoping it was easily done on NGK plugs but it's not the case.  But yes, resistor plugs in my case shouldn't be a big deal, although I'm going for maximum spark too.

BruceK

I guess one option is to buy Champion N9YC non-resister plugs (instead of Champion RN9YC plugs).  Champions may not be as highly regarded as Bosch and NGK, but they readily available to use without having to attempt any modification if you want to try a non-resister plug and see how they work out.

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-N9YC-300-Copper-Spark/dp/B000CSNODA

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Here's a heat range chart for reference.

94touring

Brisk D14YC is the same as a heat range 6-7 in NGK, non resistor, and a few bucks a plug. I had used their gapless plugs experimenting around a couple years ago with decent results.

MPlayle

Anyone know a cross reference for the radiator cap on a standard Mini (998) radiator?

The one on my recently acquired blue 1983 Mini Van is in poor condition and I am trying to see what may be available locally.  I tried a search on this site, but came up empty.

I tried searching for a cross reference using the part number from a couple of our favorite Mini parts suppliers, also to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

MiniDave

It's a very common size, but you might try the local Autozone or  OReilys for one for a Sprite.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad