New at the mini thing

Started by Bond007mini, December 11, 2019, 06:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bond007mini

Well... just met two GREAT guys, Dan and Dave and had a crash corse in 2 days..! Bottom line is~ Go BIG or go home! Hahah
Not sure what I got myself into but I'm diving in... wish me luck.

MPlayle

drmini

You must be in the Oklahoma area.  Great bunch of Mini folks around there to help with your new sickness1

Bond007mini

Actually live in Indiana, very close to Chicago.. found these guys just looking on line... have to say, was great talking to them! Dave is the one whom told me to join.

MiniDave

Welcome to the forum!

I'm still trying to figure out why this potentially English built RHD Mini has an Innocenti wiring harness and lights? Especially as all indications are that it's a 78 car, and Innos weren't built in this body style after 75.....

It has Altimssimo tail light lenses and wiring in the back, and those look like Carello lights in the front.....it also has the 4 fuse holder instead of the Inno 9 fuse......wonder if this is an Authi?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Great to have another orange with white roof mini here. Welcome aboard.

MiniDave

Are you going to keep it RHD? It's fairly easy to convert it to LHD, just a matter of a new steering rack and a acc. pedal.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Bond007mini

joakwin

D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

Bond007mini

Thanks!
The long Journey has begun!!

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

tsumini

Welcome. I'm going on seven years doing mine. But i procrastinate a lot and am not in much of a hurry.

Bond007mini

I can see that taking some time, kinda like a box of Chinese Rice such a small box but never ends!!

Bond007mini

Have a question about interior!
Seats~ do most guys strip, powder coat frame replace with new foam and put slip covers on?  Has anyone taken their seats to upholstery shop? Or is this just too expensive? How is the foam ya get from UK?
And for the Card (for side doors) they seem pretty flimsy! When you get new, do you seal them so no moisture penetrates in the board.
Or maybe make them out of some thin plastic PVC material?
Theses are all probably goofy questions but was just curious what y'all are doing.

94touring

If the foam is good I just reuse.  New foam is cheap and easy to install, as are the squab diaphragms.  I have a guy in the UK make my seat covers, which are pretty affordable especially compared to an upholster who will charge an arm and a leg if you took the seats. Taking off old covers and putting on new is a "relatively" easy process.   I've done many and it's easy for me, results may vary. 

Bond007mini

Thanks Dan!
Well Monday I'm planing on blasting then priming, and wait until you say bring it down. only thing will be left on are the subframes, Pretty Bummed, everything Im taking off basically has to be replaced!! Front and back glass look good. Back windows just need latches..OMG!!

MiniDave

You still need a list of stuff to buy to rebuild your subframes?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Bond007mini

Dave... this would be great!! Also all wiring harness... OH!! The main wire going from the front to the rear, along roof threw pillar, seems I should leave just cut close so when I run new wires I can tape to old and fish through? Looks it would be hard to push new by itself?
Your thoughts?

MiniDave

Yes, however I'm really not sure which harness to point you to, like I said - you definitely have Innocenti wiring in the back, I'll have to look more closely at the wiring in the front, but I don't want to have you buy an Inno harness and have it be wrong.

Post up a pic of the wiring to the headlights and turn signals

Here's my list so far.....see if anyone has anything to add, or revisions

C-AJJ4028MS        disc brake kit           400.86
MS413         rear subframe fit kit      25.19
KGB10022FK      front               13.29
18G9027MS      CV Boot, outer (2)      2.15 (ea)
BHM7012         CV boot inner  (2)         3.50 (ea)
21A1882MS      Ft. Lower arm bush (4)      1.35 (ea)
C-STR627         Tie bar bush         3.50
MSK001         Upper arm repair kit (2)      12.51 (ea)
GSV1125         Radius arm repair kit (2)   8.36 (ea)
GHK1548MS      Rear wheel bearing kit (2)   11.99 (ea)
FAM3968         Rubber cone spring (4)      36.91 (ea)
C-STR644A      High low kit            57.93
GBS834AF         Mintex rear shoes         10.20
MINIFINS         Rear drums            58.00
GBK1834         Spring kit            3.30
GBH249KIT      Brake hose kit         15.87
GMC1008         Clutch master cylinder      37.92
GMC171         Brake master cylinder      37.00
GWC1102         Rear wheel cylinder (2)      11.07  (ea)
TOOL14         Rear circlip tool         9.45
TOOL07         Suspension cone tool      20.63
XFB101200         Rear light, right         38.93
XFB101210         Rear light, left         38.93

Somerford Mini Parts
AN141         Rear Harness         46.75
AN124         Main Harness         180.31

all amounts are from MiniSpares site and are in pounds, you need to convert to dollars for the accurate amount, plus add about $100 for shipping. Wiring harness are from Somerford Mini Parts            

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Bond007mini

Crap Dave... I took everything out already, these are the pics I have I know I took much more with my camera but have to look, when I was taking fronts out they had black tar sprayed all Over most of wires except for the rear.

Willie_B

You know on the minispares site, in the upper right corner is the UK flag. If you click on that you can change the price to US dollars. Makes it less taxing figuring prices.

MiniDave

What do the wires to the headlights look like?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Bond007mini

Opps... forgot to attached the rest

Bond007mini

Front Headlight wiring... thanks willie!