Spring 2020 Texas Hill Country Gathering - CANCELLED!

Started by MPlayle, November 11, 2019, 03:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Star Mini

Ok, I may have misinterpreted the maps incorrectly.  I thought each map was for a different day in that there was a 3-4 hr drive each day.   
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MPlayle

You interpreted the maps correctly: each map is for a separate day AND each route is for several hours of driving.

The "Monday" map is the shortest (about 1.5 hours driving), the "Wednesday" map is the longest (about 4.5 hours driving). 

There will also be "stops" along the way, some planned (lunch, gas) and some unplanned (photo ops, scenic views, leg stretch, just because, etc.).

MPlayle

Unless I hear a sudden flurry from the small list of attendees, I am expecting this event to go on as planned.

Willie_B

I am going to be there no matter what the doomsayers say.

94touring

Quote from: Willie_B on March 10, 2020, 02:13:43 PM
I am going to be there no matter what the doomsayers say.

Coronavirus and all!

MPlayle

Hey Dan,

Do you know your April schedule yet?  Are you going to try to attend any/all of the drives?

94touring

I still don't know. Until I I finish the training footprint sometime the 1st week of April, they won't publish my next step.

MPlayle

Reading about the CDC recommendations on limits to gathering sizes, our Spring Drive remains under the size limit. 

At this point I am still keeping it on the calendar.

Our hotel block of rooms remains active until April 1st.  We can cancel as late as April 18 with zero concerns about cancel fees on hotel reservations as those require 24 hour notice from your individual check in date.

If folks do decide to cancel, please let me know.

94touring

I won't be making this one.  Looks like I'll have the days off but I'm cutting off all discretionary spending till things stabilize.  My BFF and her mother that she takes care of live in my rental condo.   She's out of a job now.  I'm not going to be putting them on the streets so I'll be picking up the tab on that one.  Airline industry is in shambles and Jen's new job in the financial world as you can imagine isn't great either. 

Lone Star Mini

You're awesome Dan!!   I'm not part of y'alls mini group, but was hoping to finally meet some of you.  To date, I have only met Dan and Bruce briefly.  I will keep the Mini run on the calendar, however it's not looking good.  My girls are now out of school until first week of April, but the school board is talking all year (through May).  We are now doing our part as a family in helping to flatten the Bell-curve of the virus by remaining isolated for the most part.  We shall see what happens come late April...
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MPlayle

As the semi-official "drive sponsor", I am keeping my fingers crossed at keeping this event alive.

I would greatly appreciate everyone keeping me appraised as time goes along so we can determine whether to maintain the event or cancel as the actual date approaches.

MPlayle

Based on Dan's post about the travel quarantine for certain states coming to Texas and an update from my contact in Kerrville,  I am officially cancelling the Spring Drive in the best interests of everyone.

San Antonio has been in "lock-down" for a bit - set to expire April 9.  I do not know if it will be extended.

Statewide, all bars are closed and restaurants are on carry-out/drive-through service only with an unknown end date.

I want to notify everyone sufficiently far in advance to be able to cancel any reservations already made without penalty.

I will keep the planned routes on file for hopefully rescheduling the event sometime in the future.

Thank you for your understanding.

94touring

Yeah I haven't been able to go to a restaurant anywhere going on a couple weeks now.  All pickup, drive through, or delivery. 

Willie_B

Thanks for all your work on this Michael. Looking forward to whenever it can be rescheduled.

Lone Star Mini

Gents.. thanks for setting it all up and making the plans.  I will.. eventually..  meet some of you guys.  Our School boards have already been in discussion about keeping the schools closed for the remainder of the year (thru May) and I doubt all will be ended by mid to late April.  So this is a good call on cancellation.    You folks take care and spend the isolated time at home cleaning up your minis... 
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)