Spring 2020 Texas Hill Country Gathering - CANCELLED!

Started by MPlayle, November 11, 2019, 03:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Hey, right next door to Harbor Freight!   77.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Made my reservations today. Making a to do list so the car will be ready to GO.

Lone Star Mini

Gents...  I may or may not have a mini to drive, but would love to come down one of two days to meet you all.   I would also like to get video of the mini caravan...,
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

Out of your 3 Minis, none of them run yet? Not even that light blue one?  8.gif

You'd absolutely be welcome to come by and join up!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

Thanks Dave.   My cylinder head is at the shop currently on the blue mini. I should have it all back together by then, but??
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MPlayle

Definitely welcome to come along.  I am solo, so will have room for passengers.  I will be driving "Miss Ruby" - a 1991 Saloon.

Lone Star Mini

Okay..  Ladies and Gents..  are you all from kid free homes?  It's not easy for me to get away during the week.   
The one gent, Craig H.,  moving to Texas will not be here until August.. LOL... welcome to the heat..   I'm not able to come down for a 2-3 day event, but I would like to do my best to come down for 1 day at least.  With that said and realizing your route may be in limbo, I would ask if someone can guess the most scenic route and day you might drive it?  Then with all of your permission, I would like to film you guys/gals.  At least for parts of the route,  I will need to run out ahead of you all to capture you in route..  then yes Dave, perhaps if I could take you up on the offer of riding with you for a portion... 
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MPlayle

I cannot speak for everyone about the "kid free" aspect, but most do seem to be (or can at least get away for several days).  Kids are welcome, although the routes are mostly about the driving.

I did originally ask about dates in March to try for matching to "Spring Break" for folks with kids, but received several requests to look more to mid-April.

I have different drives "planned" for each of 5 days: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday being the main drives with optional drives Monday and Friday for those staying longer.

All the drives are on smaller, scenic roads.  The maps for each route were in an earlier post to this thread.  They are actually in order on that post.

Since you are coming from the Waco area and have limited "away time", might I suggest taking the Friday off and coming down Thursday after work?  You could head back again after the drive Friday or Saturday.

MPlayle

Quote from: Lone Star Mini on March 03, 2020, 03:26:56 PM
Anybody in the SaT area going to the Cars & Coffee in March 14 at six flags fiesta

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sanantoniocarsandcoffee/?ref=share

I might.  I was at the Feb one with the Mini Marcos.

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on March 03, 2020, 03:40:27 PM
Anybody in the SaT area going to the Cars & Coffee in March 14 at six flags fiesta

I'm planning on going. It would be great to see you again there Randy.  Should be a good number of local Minis there.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Lone Star Mini

Mine and the girls favorite Italian restaurant is down in SAT so it won't be hard to convince them to go on March 14.. If you guys are going, I'm will find a way..   I would be good to see you again Bruce and possibly meet others for the first time..   
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

BruceK

Quote from: Lone Star Mini on March 03, 2020, 04:34:47 PM
Mine and the girls favorite Italian restaurant is down in SAT so it won't be hard to convince them to go on March 14.. If you guys are going, I'm will find a way..   I would be good to see you again Bruce and possibly meet others for the first time..

Here's the local Mini group.

https://www.facebook.com/TX-Mini-Dashpots-217407745666007/
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

Quote from: BruceK on March 03, 2020, 04:08:45 PM

I'm planning on going. It would be great to see you again there Randy.  Should be a good number of local Minis there.

Bruce,

Let me know if you want to meet before the C&C (and if you hear from the Dashpots about it as well).  I just have to figure out whether to bring the Marcos again or "Miss Ruby".

Quote from: Lone Star Mini on March 03, 2020, 04:34:47 PM

What is the Italian restaurant?

Lone Star Mini

Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

[/quote]

What is the Italian restaurant?
[/quote]

La Focaccia's Italian Grill down near the needle, but off the tourist path/ radar
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: MPlayle on March 02, 2020, 11:51:13 AM
Definitely welcome to come along.  I am solo, so will have room for passengers.  I will be driving "Miss Ruby" - a 1991 Saloon.

Oops it was Michael with possible room in his mini (not Dave)

If more minis will be there during the week, I would prefer to come down one day when everybody be is there.  I think I read in one of the posts that some may leave earlier than others
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MPlayle

The main driving days are the Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday set.  Those are the days we expect most to be present.

Since I am "local" (and the drive "leader") I will be present for all 5 drives.  I will be arriving in Kerrville before the Monday drive and returning to San Antonio after the Friday drive.

The Monday drive will probably have the fewest cars as it is intended to be a short run to a slightly later lunch in Fredricksburg and return to the hotel to "Meet & Greet" folks arriving Monday.

I am anticipating most will actually stay for the Friday drive.

MPlayle

Bringing forward the current "head count" for the event:

• Bruce Kennedy
  • Brad (Willie_B)
  • Dan (94touring)
  • Michael Playle
  • Susan
  • Tiffany Holt
  • John Styers

Dave Craven had to drop out due to a conflict with a family event that came up.

So as of my last know count, we have 7 cars coming to the event.

If there are any others coming not on the list, let me know.

Lone Star Mini

I was hoping to bring my mini pickup as it was suppose to arrive on April 16. I just learned today that my ship was changed and now won't arrive until later in April or beginning of May.  If however I can get my cylinder head back, I may be coming in a mini...
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Willie_B

I know I will have room for a passenger/co-driver.

Lone Star Mini

guys..  I would love to ride with one of you (Brad or Michael) gents for a short run if possible.  Not sure which day I'll be coming down though.. I will know as time gets closer
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

Wow.. you guys/gals are serious!!   I expected your daily drives to be quick 30 minute to an hour type drive..  no... if I read the various maps correctly, ya'll are going for 3-4 hour drives.. geez. This was unexpected.  Is this the norm?
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MPlayle

This tends to be the norm for the drives I lead, though most past drives (for MOT) have only been a one day thing.

According to conversations with Dave, it is also the norm for many of the other drives he has attended that led to this drive week.

77.gif

Jimini II

That seems normal to me.
Most of the Classic Minis United drives are in the 150 to 200 mile range over a 3 to 4 day period but it is usually easy enough to find a route back and cut off if you want to get back earlier.