Spring 2020 Texas Hill Country Gathering - CANCELLED!

Started by MPlayle, November 11, 2019, 03:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Susan says she's in.

Tiffany Holt will come from Dallas too.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

TiffanyHolt

I'm asking some more friends if they would like to join us.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Updated list of possible attendees:
(Reposting since it dropped to the next page)

Bruce Kennedy
Dave Craven
Brad (Willie_B)
Dan (94touring)
Michael Playle
Susan
Tiffany Holt
John Styers

More are always welcome.  I will start checking out possible motels in Kerrville after the New Year.  It looks like I should try to get a block of about 10 rooms held if I can.  I will try to find one that has plenty of parking space for potential trailers as well as reasonable rates.

I will also go through my various drive notes and come up with a selection of routes.  If anyone from last time has a specific request for a "repeat", let me know as well.

MiniDave

Tiffany says she knows some folks from the Austin area she's going to contact too.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Hey Michael (and everyone else too), what do you think about inviting the Mini club from San Antonio, the Mini Dashpots to this event?  I met Brad W. from Mini Dashpots recently at Cars & Coffee and Michael I think you know many of the other Dashpot guys too. Even if they can't make the whole event, perhaps they could attend one run or something?  Whadda you think?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Absolutely, the more the more better!  4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I'll "ping" my contact with that group and see.

MPlayle

A brief update and information request:

I am beginning to look at routes for drives on the various days.  I will also soon be exploring hotel/motel options in Kerrville.

I am going to try planning out 5 runs: the three main days (Tues, Wed, Thurs) and two optional days (Mon, Fri).

I know some of the folks that went on the last set of drives will likely want to repeat some of the roads, but also try some new ones. 

Thus the information request: It seems I did not retain a copy of the drive packets for myself when I gave the stuff to Brad to take over for me due to my mom being in the hospital.  If someone has a set of the drive details from three years ago they would be willing to send me as reference materials, I would appreciate it greatly.

Contact me with a PM through the forum for my mailing address.

jedduh01

Props to ya'll for putting a grassroots gathering together! 

Envious!

MPlayle

A bit of a "teaser": The link below should take you to page 8 of the thread from three years ago where the pictures from that year's drive begin and are interspersed on pages 8, 9, & 10.

http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?topic=1154.175

MPlayle

I met with Bruce Kennedy today to get some extra input and discuss route options.  It was a beneficial meeting as I got good feedback on the basic ideas I had and some fresh input as well.

The result is I now have 5 routes picked out and mapped (one for each day: Mon - Fri).  I will do a "teaser" of the routes a bit closer to the event.

We also went over the options I found for possible accommodations.  I have narrowed it to three options.  I would like to open it for group input before I visit them in person to try and arrange a possible group rate and/or a block of rooms for reservation opportunities.

Possible places: (Online prices ranged from $76/night to $99/night)
a) Best Western
b) Super 8
c) La Quinta

Input needed for further narrowing:
- Will anyone need trailer space?  (I know some will be flat-towing, so only regular parking required there.)
- Any special preferences or requirements?

94touring

If I am able to make it I'll need a spot for my trailer.

Willie_B

Looking at reviews on Tripadvisor it looks like Super 8 would be the first choice, Best Western second with LaQuinta third.

MiniDave

I'm ok with any of them......I will be flat towing.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Oops.....I'm out. That turns out to be the same weekend my granddaughter graduates from college in Redlands.

Sorry guys, I just got the invite today with the dates and I simply cannot miss it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on February 04, 2020, 09:48:13 PM
Oops.....I'm out. That turns out to be the same weekend my granddaughter graduates from college in Redlands.

Sorry guys, I just got the invite today with the dates and I simply cannot miss it.

Bummer, we are going to miss you.

MiniDave

Yeah, I will miss not going, I was looking forward to it.....but college graduation is a big deal..... I just need to be there.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

I echo the sentiments of Bruce and Brad.  You will be missed.

Hopefully your absence will not affect the other coming from your area.

MPlayle

Monday I will get in touch with the "group reservations" contact at the Super 8 in Kerrville to see what they can do for us.

Meanwhile, here is the route "teaser".  Attached are the Google-Maps of the 5 selected routes.  Some are roads likely repeated from last time, others are going to be a new experience.

MiniDave

That Kerrville to Kerrville run looks interesting!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I wondered if someone would notice that.   :D

MPlayle

Below are the details I got from the Super 8 in Kerrville, Texas.  Their direct number is 830-896-1511.  We should be able to begin making reservations Thursday evening (Feb 13).  They will hold the 10 rooms for us until April 1, 2020.

When making reservations, indicate you are with the Restoration Mini group.

Copied email content:
Mr. Playle, the following is the information for your group of 10 rooms at the Super 8 in Kerrville starting 04/19/2020 checking out 04/26/2020:

5 double queen non smoking rooms at the following price per room:

1 – 2 people 85.00 plus tax

2 – 3 people 90.00 plus tax

3 – 4 people 95.00 plus tax

Rates are per night.

5 Single king non smoking rooms:

1 – 2 people 85.00 plus tax

Rates are per night.

As we discussed, your drop dates for any rooms your guests have not picked up will be auto dropped midnight of the 1st of April 2020, after which anyone wishing to book will have to do so at current market rate. And your guests will have a 24 hour cancel policy in place, if something happens and they will not be able to attend as long as they call and cancel the reservations BEFORE 4/18/2020 by 6 pm local they will not be charged, after which they will be liable for the first nights rate plus taxes.

If this is agreeable to you as event lead, email me back to confirm and I will place it in the computer by Thursday morning and your group can start booking by that evening.

We appreciate your business and look forward to your visit.

MPlayle

I can officially confirm our reservation block is now active!  You may start making your hotel reservations now.

Super 8 hotel in Kerrville.  Call the hotel direct: 830-896-1511.
Group name is Restoration Mini.

I have my room reserved.

4.gif   62.gif