Spring 2020 Texas Hill Country Gathering - CANCELLED!

Started by MPlayle, November 11, 2019, 03:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

I know it is early, but I'm putting this out here now to start gauging interest.  Dave raised the question in another thread.

What would be folks interest in doing another Texas Hill Country drive session this coming spring (2020)?  Something like late March or early April?

Same general area as the last one.  Probably some of the same roads, perhaps some different ones as well.  (I will have to review the routes I passed along to Brad for that event and look at others I have in my "library".)

94touring

MPlayle

I guess the first question to ask is for people to look at a calendar and suggest possible dates.

My initial suggestion is to look at options in late March or early April.

Willie_B

Would not be available March 27 thru April 12.

MiniDave

When does it start getting hot down there? I'd be in for late April, early May unless it's in the 90's by then.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Temps in late April can vary a lot.  Heck, the vary like crazy anytime of the year.  We have been known to have 100*F days in Feb and freezing the next week.

That said, if weather is fairly normal, late April to early May should still be nice - not getting too hot yet.

I would tend to go for late April in that case as early May is when the big "all British" (and European) car show is in the DFW area.  That is the one usually sponsored by Kip Motors.

How many days of driving would we like to plan for?

BruceK

Hey Michael, since I live in the area now let me know how I can help. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

Hi Bruce,

I will do that.  First step is determining dates.  I have not heard much input beyond ruling out late March to early April.

The discussion of dates seems to have stopped at the late April or early May stage.

Do folks want a "full week" arrangement like last time?

MiniDave

Considering it's a 2 day drive down and back, I think 3 days of driving down there is plenty for me...that's a week for me.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on November 22, 2019, 09:12:22 PM
Considering it's a 2 day drive down and back, I think 3 days of driving down there is plenty for me...that's a week for me.

Same here. The others that only have one travel day could add a fun driving day on either side of the 3 fun days.

MiniDave

How about April 19-26 as a tentative date?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

April 19 to 26 should work for me.

I will target the "official" drive days being the Tuesday-Thursday of that week.  That gives flex days on either side for those traveling longer distances and ad-hoc driving for those closer.

Next detail to begin working out: what town to base out of.  Is basing out of Kerrville again okay or do folks want to try another town?  (Note: Kerrville will let us easily hit the Cowboy Steakhouse for dinner one night.)

MiniDave

I'm fine with Kerrville, but not the Econo-lodge again...Don said his room had roaches.

Don has work that week and can't come, he's checking the weeks before and after to see if those will work for him.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Kerrville is fine. Dave knows where a machine shop is there if needed.

MiniDave

;D ;D ;D ;D 77.gif

Assuming he's still in business, it was a bit of a back yard garage sort of operation...got the job done tho!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Okay, I think I missed the "machine shop" story from the last time.

Would someone mind telling me that story?

MiniDave

Justin was driving my old Clubman Estate, and went over one of the deep cattle grates at speed, and bent one of the aluminum rods for the high lows in the rear. I found a machine shop that was still open at 4 pm and he made a pair out of steel for him for $100. We put them in and I'll bet they'll last longer than the car!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Quote from: MiniDave on November 23, 2019, 11:20:20 AM
I'm fine with Kerrville, but not the Econo-lodge again...Don said his room had roaches.

That particular Econo-lodge is now gone.  It got replaced by a Hobby-Lobby store.

Any updates from folks on preferred dates?  Are the tentative dates of April 19 - 26 still good for folks interested in attending?

Soon after the new year, I will need to firm up the dates and start getting a tentative head-count for seeing about lodging arrangements.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

When you say April 19 to 26 you are figuring two days of driving to and from. Then the fun driving days would be 21,22 & 23?  I am all in for that and really looking forward to it. The mini should be going to the body shop early Jan. so it will be ready.

MiniDave

it's a 2 day drive each way for me for sure....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Quote from: Willie_B on December 23, 2019, 07:30:21 PM
When you say April 19 to 26 you are figuring two days of driving to and from. Then the fun driving days would be 21,22 & 23? 

That is correct.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

The tentative list of attendees so far:

Bruce Kennedy
Dave Craven
Brad (Willie_B)
Dan (94touring)
Michael Playle
Susan
Tiffany Holt

Any others to add or want on the list?

Again, I know it is quite a way out, but just attempting to get a starting ballpark idea of how many to plan for.

(Edited to add more names)

MiniDave

I messaged a couple of more peeps, give me a day or so to hear back....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad