HIF Manifolds

Started by tmsmini, November 09, 2019, 09:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsmini

And this is the MS manifold with the big MiniSpares on the top? Your bracket on the plate definitely looks smaller than mine.

94touring

I made my own 6mm spacer out of some scrap aluminum plates I had laying around.  Maybe this will help give some measurements to compare to what you're using. 

Probably helps if you could see the scale...top is inches 1/16" increments and bottom is MM. Flange that meets the carb face is roughly 1/4" on the top.

MiniDave

If you're missing the plug for that manifold (where the orange RTV is), I have a spare.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

My plan is to track down a good used CAM6618 for the injected car. It does not use a spacer so there is no other place to get any relief. I already use a longer dogbone and it is still tight.
For the HIF car, I will try a smaller spacer and adjust the bracket and throttle quadrant as necessary when I rebuild the carb next.

tmsmini

I was looking for a decent used CAM 6618 and ran across what is a "new" one on ebay in Germany. I will find out what means next week.
In the meantime I was looking at the very used one I have and ran across some old fittings for a Holley I never used. Turns out they were 9/16, very close to the ID of the pipes and I had the tap. I tried to tap the "pipes," but the rust prevented a clean thread. One side grabs pretty good, but you know if you turn it anymore and it will strip. The other only catches a thread or two and still wobbles.

Loktite makes some pretty amazing thread sealers/lockers these days, I was wondering if anything could be used. It only needs to hold 13 psi.

MiniDave

A good case for JB Weld? I've fixed some stuff around the house with that and our water pressure is about 50psi.

Clean all the oil out, wipe a little JB around the threads in the manifold and a little more around the treads of the fitting, then screw them in and let set up. Should work fine.

Alternate #1, do you know anyone with a Tig who could weld up the holes, then you can re-drill and tap fresh threads for the fittings you have?

Alternative #2, drill them out and put a small freeze plug in and don't use them for water?

Alternative #3, have someone with a lathe (WillieB?)  make you an insert with a step in it, one end sized for the hose and the other for the clean bore, then bore them oversize and press in the new inserts? Looks stock when it's all done.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

Did not think of JBWeld, certainly a possibility. I wish the fittings were deeper. I threaded the pipe on each side as far as it would go, I am guessing about 1.5 inches. The fittings are only .5 inch.
There is a guy on the MiniForum who has redone the pipes on the SPi and is now looking into making them for the turbo.
This is for the injected car and it seems to be happier with the pipes connected.

Steve mentioned the process to replace previously, but I don't think I have the patience.

The "new" manifold is in New Jersey today, so it is on its way.

tmsmini

Never knew what a turbo inlet manifold looked like

MiniDave

Was this supposed to be the new one?

The corrosion on those pipes says otherwise....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

No, that one is not the one I am waiting for. Same person has some used HIF items.
I had just never seen a turbo manifold before. Turbos also use an HIF 44, but a sealed version.

tmsmini

New manifold came today and it does look new. It should give me a little clearance to get the air filter on.
It does need some clean up and I may have to have a machine shop touch up the mounting ears for the later style manifold nuts to work.