More accelerator cable stuff

Started by tmsmini, February 28, 2020, 11:12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsmini

I have re-assembled the throttle body on the injection car with the new old manifold. It seems to stick up higher, so some other dimensions are different from the MiniSpares manifold.

With the way SC have the cable oriented, it sticks straight up. With the higher placement of the TB, the cable gets pushed down when the bonnet is closed. I added the rubber hose to prevent the cable from taking too sharp of a turn, but it binds ever so slightly. This make the cable mechanism act like an old twin SU linkage and at every stop light, you need to blip the throttle and it settles. It doesnt always work though.

I am looking for a place to buy a hard end with a 90 built in. On bicycles , they call them noodles for the brakes, but they have been used on everything from Harleys to quads.
I found one from a vintage Harley online shop, but they want $60 for the cable and the fitting. I really only need the fitting.

Anyone have any suggestions? My local bike store did not have anything that would work. But is is a pretty weak store.

MiniDave

I made one for my old Jag out of a piece of brake tubing, bent just so.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Just an idea possibly for locating the hard bend part that may work. Round my parts, the Pick and Save   or Pull a part yards sometimes have Quads / ATV's or Motorcycles.  They may be a  good place to look for a cable assembly.

Otherwise I would start searching Ebay for generic ATV Throttle cables.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chinese-Throttle-Cable-33-inch-50cc-70cc-90cc-110cc-125cc-Dirt-Bike-Pit-Bike/192880994828?hash=item2ce89a6a0c:g:VVYAAOSw-LNcpqJv

tmsmini

I saw some of those generic Quad/ATV cables. I am just not sure the ends will work. I though I had a photo of something someone had adapted, but I cannot find it.
I may have to make my own. The SC TB requires an adjusters at the TB end.

Initially SC said to use the stock MPi cable, but that is fatter and longer and caused even more issues. What i am using now is the cable supplied through SC by the throttle body cmpany.
Terry

tmsmini

I need to go back with my adjuster ends to see if they will work with a noodle.
As I said the counter people are not the most knowledgeable. I think they see me coming and say here comes the guy with the fifty year old Raleighs, it your turn to wait on him...

tmsmini

I found another custom cable place in Loomis, a couple of hours away.
The bike shop did have a flexible noodle with that tapered nose, I did not think I wanted flexible. But I went back and with some creative careful dremeling, it fits

tmsmini

Just have to see if it fixes the issue. I really don't like that with the SC throttle body, the ferule is attached at the pedal end as it is difficult to work under the parcel shelf.

tmsmini

Venhill also sell pieces, so this may work if the noodle doesn't.

https://www.venhillusa.com/venhill-bent-ferrule-for-6mm-conduit-6mmx1-threaded-end-80-deg-1867.html

I ran it with the original SC supplied cable while I flushed the radiator and it returned fine everytime I revved it. Took it for short drive and it was sticky, so I am not sure what the issue is.