Dead Mini

Started by Minicop, March 15, 2010, 11:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minicop

Got a problem. First, the battery was giving me trouble in my car, so I replaced it with a new one and the car was great, for one day. I went out to start it the second day I had the new battery in it and dead again. I'm thinking alternator. It didn't even crank at all, completely dead. Any other thoughts?

joltfreak

I'd check your ground strap as well. if it's not grounding properly then it would do the same thing.
check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

94touring

Have the alternator tested and check grounds like Joltfreak said.  Do your lights even turn on or completely dead?

Minicop

Thank you gentlemen for your response. When I replaced the battery the ground wire seemed fine. I made sure both wires were secured properly. The interior light was my first indicator things were wrong when it didn't come on when I opened the door. I have not tried the headlights, I'll give it a shot. I'll probably get the alternator rebuilt. Right now I don't have access to the car, or I would double check the wires, and see if the lights work. I'll check tonight when I get home.

MiniGene

Minicop, you have a new Mini?  When did this happen?

Minicop

Nope same mini, been rebuilt, not by me I don't have much mechanic skill.

xcc_rider

It doesn't sound like it's your alternator if after sitting overnight your dome light doesn't come on. The mini would have died long before the battery totally died (0 volts) so I would look for a short to ground on your    l  o  n  g    positive power cable or in one of your wiring circuits.

This is one area you have to be real careful as a short to ground can cause a fire real easy.  Pulling that much juice out of a battery shows it to be a decent short.

dan

94touring

Neb's car had the long battery wire short out.  I know this because it came shipped to me like that.  Seems as though the guys with the fork lifts at the dock tend to pinch the wires when moving cars around...so I was told.   

Minicop

Well, I checked the headlights and nothing. I'm sorry xxc I don't even get what you are saying, lol. Are you talking about the positive connection? I don;'t want to cause a fire, yikes! I don't think I'll be touching it then for sure.

94touring

The positive connection on the battery runs the whole length of the car on the underside of the floors to the starter.  Check to see if its been pinched or has wire exposed. 

Minicop

Lol, ok. Now I get it. It just had to be put another way. I will check that when I get home. Thank you guys.

MiniGene

Did you ship your Mini from Japan back to the states?

Minicop

Ok, so I checked the cable and it was fine, no punches or damage to it that I could see. I charged my battery and tomorrow I'm going to put it back in the car and try to turn it on and limp to my mechanic. This really sucks!

Minicop

Got the problam figured out, it was the alternator. It needed to be re-built. I'll pick up the car tomorrow. The mechanic I use, his dad races classic minis so they are knowlegable about them, so it worked out great and I have another person close to home who can help me when I need it again. 

94touring

Well thats good, glad  you got it figured out. 

d-m

Just a thought but this is what I am going to do  before my mini goes on the road INSTALL A CURCIT BRAKER AT THE BATTERY + POST
This will keep you from burning it to the ground
Just a thought
Dave