RELAY- Please help me identify.

Started by Miniac, October 09, 2019, 06:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miniac

Hi all. I have a 1990 rover mini. Car has this relay receptacle but no relay installed. Any ideas what belongs here and what it is for? Thanks in advance. Bruce
1990 Rover Mini black

tmsmini

What color wires are connected to it?

Somerford usually has pretty good descriptions, but I don't see this one right away.
http://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/eshop/index.php?main_page=page&id=88

Miniac

1990 Rover Mini black

Miniac

Maybe headlamp dim/dip?  It was empty when I got car.  Everything seems to work although not dim dip. Did not know mini had them...  hard for me to check all now as engine is currently out and all disconnected, but trying to prepare for engine back in and came across this empty slot.
1990 Rover Mini black

skmini

I would have guessed hazard flasher.  According to the wiring diagram, the hazard flasher has purple/orange and light green/pink wires going to it with the third connector grounded.  Is it possible the white stripe is a faded pink stripe?

Miniac

1990 Rover Mini black

MPlayle

I checked all my manuals for wiring diagrams covering a 1990 Carb'd car.  The only Purple/Orange wire listed goes from an inline fuse (fed by a brown wire) to the Hazard Relay/Flasher and to the interior light.  The out from the Hazard Relay is a Light-Green/Pink wire leading to the Hazard switch in the dash.

The headlight dim/dip relay (and the turn signal Relay/Flasher) are located behind the instrument cluster, which should be the "in front of the driver" style unit (unless yours has been changed out for something different).

Miniac

Ok. Thanks. When I have the dash out I will study those further. I appreciate your help!
1990 Rover Mini black

MPlayle

The wiring diagram that seems the best match for your year car is on page 12A.38 of the blue Haynes manual for Minis 1969 to 2001.

It is the diagram for carb models from 1988-on.