MINIAC II Resto mod 1990 project

Started by Miniac, September 28, 2019, 08:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosebud

Spectacular! Source for Jaguar flip-top oil filler cap & coco mats please.
Rosebud
...the sled, not the flower
https://www.facebook.com/PoserMotorSports

Miniac

In about 6-8 weeks! Waiting for pistons and rods from Carillo. Just received my cylinder head from Keith Calver.
1990 Rover Mini black

Miniac

Floor mats https://www.cocomats.com/coco/
They have my template. LHD Under "Bruce Starrenburg" If I recall you can download and test. I re drew from their existing template. I like my fit, but you might want to verify amd play with the design of the under pedal area. The mats are thick so you really don't want them under the pedals. My design is a bit goofy but it is safe and clears the pedals and steering column post.

The flip top cap I got from Moss Motors Jaguar division. Had to machine the collar to fit the minifin. I had one years ago that was a direct fit but they do not make anymore. Not a big deal to turn down the collar amd chop it shorter.
1990 Rover Mini black

Miniac

1990 Rover Mini black

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: Miniac on October 02, 2019, 04:45:00 PM
Jet-Hot ceramic coated "classic polish" my contact at jet hot is Debi Heath
DEBI HEATH
Jet-Hot, High-Performance Coatings
2611 LaVista Drive, Burlington, NC 27215
P 336-447-2000 | F 336-447-2020 | D 480-838-1815
www.jet-hot.com

Ok, your resto is looking fantastic!   I've just found Red-Hot today and here I see it again.  Have you been pleased with all the results?!?   Live how you did the entire engine block...
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Miniac

I have been very pleased. I used HPC Coatings years ago that was acquired by Jet-Hot.  Back then I coated many parts including the entire exhaust of my AT6 WW2 airplane that had a Pratt Whitney 9 cylinder radial engine. I did have a problem with that project as the exhaust tip shed the coating. It was due to extreme temps at the end of the exhaust. I had not chosen the "extreme high temp" coating so it really was not their fault. Just did not research how hot that big pipe got at the end. They do have a 2500 degree high temp coating but it does not come in "silver polished".
I had my previous Mini for 9 years running with the coatings absolutely intact.
So really. No problems at all.
The gearbox was "silver polished" coated. I had to sign a waiver as Jet-Hot recommends against this one "polished coating" as the process involves "tumbling" the parts in media to get the shine. The media they use in this process are small plastic balls of various sizes. They don't recommend this process as the media sometimes gets caught in critical places like oil passages etc.  I signed the waiver and committed myself to an absolute obsessive "once over" to catch and rid any stray media lodged in nooks and crannies. Found 3 little pellets.  So if you do the polished finish just make sure you check check check obsessively.
Debi at Jet-Hot is very helpful and I think they are THE best.
Hope this helps!
1990 Rover Mini black

Miniac

Interior coming along. Corbeau seats are awesome. Tight fit but look and really nice!
1990 Rover Mini black

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: Miniac link=topic=2056.msg39471
Hope this helps!
/quote]

Awesome... thanks for the input
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Miniac

More interior angles. Just one more seat and the whole interior is done. One of the corbeau seat rails did not line up correct. They are making another...
1990 Rover Mini black

jeff10049

Quote from: Miniac on February 28, 2020, 09:04:48 PM
The gearbox was "silver polished" coated. I had to sign a waiver as Jet-Hot recommends against this one "polished coating" as the process involves "tumbling" the parts in media to get the shine. The media they use in this process are small plastic balls of various sizes. They don't recommend this process as the media sometimes gets caught in critical places like oil passages etc.  I signed the waiver and committed myself to an absolute obsessive "once over" to catch and rid any stray media lodged in nooks and crannies. Found 3 little pellets.  So if you do the polished finish just make sure you check check check obsessively.
Hope this helps!

You can also hand polish the coating with auto paint buffing compound and a foam pad even hand work shines it up cotton wadding type of polish works great in fins and such if you are worried about the pellets. I hand polished the transaxle for a Pantera and it only took about an hour.

Miniac

1990 Rover Mini black

Miniac

1990 Rover Mini black

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Miniac

Indeed!
Rods are coming from same supplier. They have them in stock. I held back order until the lockdown is over as no engine building going on yet.  The pistons were custom made per omega 18cc dish sample.  These are made in USA and ceramic coated. The Omega was out of stock so I went to Cp-Carillo. Someone in the mini community was kind enough to give me a sample I could use for the design.
1990 Rover Mini black

MiniDave

Neat. I'm still building motors, and my engine machinists are still open, in fact they say they are really backed up with work!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Miniac

I imagine when we come out of this there will be a lot of beautiful "fruits of our lockdown" !!!
1990 Rover Mini black