HiLo Adjustment

Started by tmsmini, September 26, 2019, 03:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsmini

Now that I have new shocks and relatively new cones, I am fine tuning the ride heights.

I see some conflicting info on the ratio of adjustment for front and rear. Based on the attached older MiniSpares document, it looks like 1:3 for the front and 1:5 for the rear. I guess they have not changed at least for the RipSpeed version.

I still plan on rechecking anyway, but wanted a ball park number of turns. It would be nice to know the pitch of the threaded portion to calculate turns. I painted one of the flats of the adjustment bolt, so I could keep track.

MiniDave

I always just measured them - as in measured the amount of thread showing or some other static difference on the high low to the suspension, then once I had a general height - drove it around a bit to settle it in, then adjust as needed to get the ride height I wanted.

In a few months you'll have to reset them anyway as the cones settle.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

I don't seem to be able to add an attachment at this time.

MiniDave

Probably need to resize it?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Forum will auto size automatically if they're too big.  If massive it might time out though.

tmsmini

It is a text document , only about 14 KB.

PS: went through this time

tmsmini

This is my measurement setup. I am not so much concerned with exacting ride heights as I am with keeping the heights the same. I used the sill lip as a measurement spot.
After waiting a few months after cone installation and paying for an alignment, I want to keep them where they were set.

BruceK

Do measure with the driver in the car?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

tmsmini

At the alignment shop they added weight in the drivers seat.
I measured after the fact so I can retain the height setting.

MiniDave

I just add 1/4" to the drivers side front height to compensate for the driver's weight when I do them.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

Nothing like 300 miles in the Sierra foothills to finish breaking some new cones.
I replaced the red dot cones in the back of the woody with stock M-Part cones after we got back from MMEW. They settled some in two months but dropped a bit more on the trip. The car was loaded down a bit, but not like we were for the MMEW trip.

Now I have a base line for laden versus unladen on the wagons.

MiniDave

I was surprised how stiff my new regular cones were that I put in my Racing Green, it took quite a few thousand miles to break them in, now it rides much better.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Tremelune

What about corner balancing? That will have a slight effect on the final ride height, and from what I've read makes a big difference in the handling of these cars.