Bulkhead Cover Plates

Started by MiniDave, July 11, 2019, 07:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

Quote from: jedduh01 on July 29, 2019, 08:50:29 AM
Nice cover - Offering some really high quality parts

Apparently online store is coming.
    My buddy Cole has some ' Non Serviceable sealed Mini specific ball joints on the way from David...  (not metro) but same concept.

Thoughtful upgrade to not mess with ball joint tension anymore...

I saw those too. They look like a real PITA time saver. I hope Cole does a review of them.

MiniDave

How much were those? I agree, not having to shim them would be great!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

50$ per Ball joint...  200$ For a set.

At first # i thought that was High.. But then i had to Install a ball joint in my Volvo XC90 == 45$ for the part from MOOG  at Advance auto... then it was a Slam it out slam it in affair all in about 45 Min... No problem.

This conversion for the mini could be really practical and time saving and modern upgrade.

Cole will have a review , Cole needs to keep his car on the road to put some MILES on it, but will be installed hopefully this week.

MiniDave

Yikes! $200 a set, plus shipping is pretty stiff.....If I were working in a shop and spending OPM, I would def do them.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on July 29, 2019, 11:28:41 AM
Yikes! $200 a set, plus shipping is pretty stiff.....If I were working in a shop and spending OPM, I would def do them.

I think if you were paying a mechanic to install and set up new ball joints it would be cheaper at $200 plus the minimal labor to fit these when compared to the labor time on the old style ones imo.
Then there is the plus factor of never having to adjust them again.

BruceK

Plus not having to grease them too!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

Quote from: BruceK on July 31, 2019, 05:59:21 AM
Plus not having to grease them too!

That was going to be one of my questions: whether they required greasing like the originals.

Jimini II

No they are sealed for life much like the early Metro hubs.

MiniDave

While I had the main harness out I went ahead and fit the bulkhead cover - it's pretty simple. First I installed the foam seal in the machined groove on the back. Then I screwed the two halves together and put it up on the bulkhead so I could mark the holes. Once I drilled the holes I trial fit it and it fits perfectly. I think it looks great and it's bound to make things quieter compared to just having the hole open to the engine and carbs.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

On earlier cars will it used the exiting machine screw holes that hold the pod in place?

MiniDave

Good question.....I don't think so but I don't really know. My other car is even newer than this one....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: tmsmini on August 01, 2019, 06:19:51 PM
On earlier cars will it used the exiting machine screw holes that hold the pod in place?

I don't think they will. If you look at the part the tab on the top right is not symmetrical with the others, from memory the early cars are evenly spaced.

MiniDave

I think you're right, I think they are where the larger holes are around the plate on my car. On an Inno those holes are used to secure the middle of the dash - it has a metal brace that is attached with screws thru those holes.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

TRP

I would love one of these but I don't use Facebook. Is there any other way to order these lovely bulkhead plates?

Ted

MiniDave

Hey Ted, how you pay for stuff online? Do you use paypal or credit cards or what? Let me email him and see if he'll give me an email address to order direct thru.

Or, if you use Paypal, you can send me $100 and I'll order one for you - send me your address and so on so you only pay shipping once. Alternately you can also just mail me a check if you prefer.....PM your info to me and I'll do the same.

Edit: I sent the guy in Japan a note to ask for his email address, but due to the time difference I may not hear from him till tomorrow.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

TRP

I use paypal/venmo/bitcoin etc.

I'll reach out to David.

Thank you!
Ted

TRP

Hello,

I purchased one of these a few days after I originally posted here.  Super quick reply from the seller and the part arrived in 7 days. Excellent experience. I'm going to install it this weekend.

Excellent experience from start to finish.

Ted

MiniDave

Post up a pic once you have it installed! I did mine too and I really like the way it looks.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

Still waiting on mine, but I was a little slow on the draw...

MiniDave

Mine will be a really tight fit on the bottom edge against the bottom edge of the air filters, I hope it doesn't hit, I'd hate to have to start over on these air filters, or buy a brace of K&Ns.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

My injection engine will be very tight as well, but it has a foam filter that compresses.
The HIF car uses a later standard cleaner, so hopefully it is out of the way.

TRP

I have a tapered cone type filter on my car. Shouldn't be a problem (famous last words).

I will post a photo once I get it installed. 

Ted

tmsmini

Mine came today. Is there anything that might be important in the directions?

MiniDave

You didn't get them, or you don't read Japanese either?   ;D

Assemble the two pieces, put the foam into the groove in the back, take it to the bulkhead and mark the four holes. Drill them.

Put the speedo cable thru the lower grommet (You'll have to make a hole for it, but make a small one, the rubber is very flexible so you can work the nut thru it easily) and fix the lower section to the bulkhead. put the upper split grommet around the main cables and install the top half onto the bottom, secure with two screws then put the two screws into the bulkhead - done.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

No speedo cables to worry abut as I have the electronic version, but I do have a bunch of other gauges.
I have been waiting for these to arrive to do a throttle body and carb swap on the two cars.
I need to sort out what i need for those first.