Bulkhead Cover Plates

Started by MiniDave, July 11, 2019, 07:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Difficult if not impossible to find, but I found a guy in Japan who sells an interesting cover plate, supposed to work with center clocks too. I've sent him a PM to find out what they would cost posted here, but best info I have right now is $90 plus shipping. if there is enough interest maybe we could get together a group buy?

The cool thing to me about these is that they are two piece, so you don't have to pull the wiring harness to install it. It has two grommets, one for the speedo cable and one for the wiring harness.

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Looks great. I would be willing to ad my name on the list for a few.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I bought the two he had (says he can get more and will let me know how long it will take....)

Once I get the invoice I'll know the exact cost too, but it looks like $100 each delivered to the US using economy shipping, faster shipping is about $10 each more.....but I don't know how fast.

Here's a pic of one installed....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I'd be in for one, think mine was just covered up by padding in the engine bay.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

As was the Inno, we'll get a tally and order the next batch, he says he can have them fairly quickly, but let me get these in and see how it fits on Deightons car and the Inno.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

I would probably be in for two. I bought some of the metal versions thinking I could adapt them, but I concluded it was more trouble than it was worth. I thought about sending one to the company that is remaking the instrument pods in Oregon, but never did.

BruceK

I like it.  So I am interested too.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Doesn't your car have a cover plate already, Bruce? My 89 does....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

OK, the first two covers have been shipped to me from Japan and I'll post up when they get to me.

For the next order we have the following, let me know if this is correct....

WillieB - 3
Mark - 1
Bruce - 1
Terry - 2

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

gr8kornholio

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

tmsmini

MiniDave

Do you all want me to just give you the Facebook link so you can order your own and have them shipped directly to you, or shall I order them all and have them come to me and I'll ship them from here? (extra shipping, tho not much)

Cost is looking to be just shy of $100 shipped to me. ($197 for the two I ordered)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

I am open to whatever anyone else wants to do. It does not make sense to trouble you with the extra work.

MiniDave

I don't mind, it's just a little more shipping to you guys....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Unless we could get a group discount price to buy all at once, then it would probably be easier if we just ordered our own.

MiniDave

OK, I talked to him about a group price but he said he marks them up very little, so there's no real room for a discount - he was pretty transparent in the whole deal so I believe him.

Contact David Ainley on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/d.ainley

Just message him and he'll set it up when he gets them in stock, remember the time difference as he's in Japan. I paid for mine via Paypal, they did the conversion from Yen to Dollar.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Just a quick heads up - David just messaged me that he has branded versions of the cover plate, he has 6 non-branded, 9 Mini, 1 Austin, I Cooper and 1 Morris

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I received mine today from Japan, it's very nicely made but for some reason I thought it was made from aluminum - it's not, it's plastic. Extremely well made plastic mind you.....I'll go see if/how it fits on the Inno and take a few pics.....

Edit: I attaches with sheet metal screws (provided) and comes with a self adhesive seal tape. The top rubber grommet is split so that you can slip it over the wiring harness, and the cover fits into slots on the grommet to hold it in place once the two halves are slid together. Seems to be a real quality piece of kit.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

Looks great, waiting for the next batch.
Terry

MiniDave

Did you order from David in Japan? I only ordered these two.....one for the Inno and one for Deighton's 73.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

Yes, I contacted David and requested two. Not sure what his time frame is/was for getting more.
Terry

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Nice cover - Offering some really high quality parts

Apparently online store is coming.
    My buddy Cole has some ' Non Serviceable sealed Mini specific ball joints on the way from David...  (not metro) but same concept.

Thoughtful upgrade to not mess with ball joint tension anymore...